• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Videogame

Ranger REG

Explorer
It's not like you have to choose one or the other...personally, I'd like to see a major Real-Time game and Turn-based game. Both styles of games have very different strengths and there's no reason to limit yourself to one format.
Unless it's a MMORPG. Then you HAVE to go with real-time format, because players can't wait for one of them to decide and resolve his turn.

Parlan

First Post
They didn't mention any edition limit. It's a ten-year D&D electronic license, period.

So in other words, we have no idea. "D&D" could be *legally defined* any number of ways in the license, and the specifics of the definition would determine whether it extends to 4th Ed. or not.

Also, the fine print of the contract might allow Atari or Wizards to buy back/revoke the license or transfer it to another party.

Is the license agreement online anywhere? I'm curious as to what it says.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
The problem with that is that turn based games on the major platforms are dead. The customer base is simply too small. Beside some JRPGs and JTactic games I can't think of any turn based combat game on a major platform newer than 10 years.

Has someone told Sid Meier that? He must be devastated.

Turn based games aren't dead. It's just that the gibbering monkeys that make up a small percentage of gamers like to, well, gibber, and very loudly at that, about how turn based is "boring" and could never sell.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Galactic Civ on the PC springs to mind.
Dofus is a turn based combat MMORPG for the PC, but yes, it's not really that prevalent on PC...consoles and portables are a different kettle of fish.

On Consoles and portables,
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem
Advanced Wars (Call it a niche title, I dare ya :D)
The DS Version of Age of Empires

Turn Based is doing PHENOMENAL on portables.

Derren

Hero
Civilization and Galactic Civilization are turn based, but the combat is automatic. Such games do not work for D&D 4E where combat is a large part of the game.
And I don't think that D&D, at least with its RP component, is suitable for handhelds.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Civilization and Galactic Civilization are turn based, but the combat is automatic. Such games do not work for D&D 4E where combat is a large part of the game.
And I don't think that D&D, at least with its RP component, is suitable for handhelds.

...Why not? The original 2 Fallout games are considered two of the BEST RPG's ever created and it uses turn based combat. It could easilly be recreated on the DS, and it's filled with RP choices. It might not be truly freeform like PnP DnD, but no CRPG ever will be.

Heck, the original Gold Box DND games used turn based combat. Update the graphics, convert to 4th, add expanded dialogue options, and you're good to go. Again, the DS would be a perfectly fine platform for such a thing.

Jagged Alliance 2 is still kept alive by fans... How dated that game is these days. Silent Storm 1 & 2 fell into a similar area.

So I think there might still be a market, but nobody is capitalizing it. Maybe it's because too many are looking at the online stuff.

From my experience, a mix between real-time exploration and round-based tactical combat works pretty well.

And I just read in the Some people in Canada have recieved the 4E FRCG early!-thread that Neverwinter Nights is destroyed! Does this mean no NWN 3 with 4E?! :)

So in other words, we have no idea. "D&D" could be *legally defined* any number of ways in the license, and the specifics of the definition would determine whether it extends to 4th Ed. or not.

Also, the fine print of the contract might allow Atari or Wizards to buy back/revoke the license or transfer it to another party.

Is the license agreement online anywhere? I'm curious as to what it says.
Occams Razor. The D&D video-game license is at Atari. Maybe hey can give the license to someone else or sublicense it, or Wizards might have a buy-back clause. But the simplest thing to do is to assume that it will be Atari creating a new game.

Derren

Hero
...Why not? The original 2 Fallout games are considered two of the BEST RPG's ever created and it uses turn based combat. It could easilly be recreated on the DS, and it's filled with RP choices. It might not be truly freeform like PnP DnD, but no CRPG ever will be.

Heck, the original Gold Box DND games used turn based combat. Update the graphics, convert to 4th, add expanded dialogue options, and you're good to go. Again, the DS would be a perfectly fine platform for such a thing.

Those Fallout games are, like all other games you mention, very old. Today no one makes such games anymore (Fallout 3 is real time) because the mass market wants real time games.
The only turn based games which still exists are either global strategy (Civilization) or Tactic games on handhelds and, very rarely, consoles. And non of those games are in my opinion suitable for D&D.
Also the target group of people who play turn based games on PC/consoles and the target group of D&D doesn't overlap much.

Hussar

Legend
I think Derren has the right of it here. The move is definitely towards multi-player, whether full blown MMORPG, or limited numbers. Turn based just doesn't work that well with multi-player games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads