• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Videogame

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You can't say "turn based games don't sell" in the same post as "nobody makes turn based games."

What happens is that corporate gets backwash from the gibbering monkeys and decries "We can't make turn based games!" Because few come out, they're percieved as being dead.

Meanwhile, the few that DO come out sell FANTASTICALLY.

Turn based isn't dead at all. Nowhere near it. The problem is that people have false expectations, and those have lead to false assumptions on how the market works.

The Little Raven

First Post
Why must everything be multi-player?

Because that's where the biggest part of the current game market is. I don't agree with Raph Koster's "the single player game is an aberration" mentality, but working in the game industry, I see the waxing and waning between single and multiplayer, and right now, multiplayer is definitely waxing. As one of D&D's key strengths is being a multiplayer game, and the success of NWN and NWN2's multiplayer components, assuming that a 4e game would be multiplayer is realistic.

garyh

First Post
Because that's where the biggest part of the current game market is. I don't agree with Raph Koster's "the single player game is an aberration" mentality, but working in the game industry, I see the waxing and waning between single and multiplayer, and right now, multiplayer is definitely waxing. As one of D&D's key strengths is being a multiplayer game, and the success of NWN and NWN2's multiplayer components, assuming that a 4e game would be multiplayer is realistic.

I played the NES Dragon Warrior games long before being introduced to D&D, so maybe I'm just nostalgic for single-player party-controlling turn-based games. But one would think D&D could do that well AND produce NWN style games.

Also, I burnt out on WoW, and don't think anyone is going to out-WoW WoW, so I think it'd behoove developers to just aim at a different target.

The Little Raven

First Post
I played the NES Dragon Warrior games long before being introduced to D&D, so maybe I'm just nostalgic for single-player party-controlling turn-based games. But one would think D&D could do that well AND produce NWN style games.

I agree, there. Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy were staples for me while growing up.

Also, I burnt out on WoW, and don't think anyone is going to out-WoW WoW, so I think it'd behoove developers to just aim at a different target.

Remember, multiplayer doesn't necessary mean MMO. WoW may dominate the MMO market, but games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 are still strong multiplayer games.

Mad Mac

First Post
Because that's where the biggest part of the current game market is

Yes and no. Multiplayer games sell well, but most game developers will tell you that the vast majority of players who purchase games like NWN never even venture online. This holds true even for multiplayer RTS games like Dawn of War. Unless the game requires multiplayer, like MMORPGS, only a small fraction of players actually take advantage of being able to play online.

D.Shaffer

First Post
The only turn based games which still exists are either global strategy (Civilization) or Tactic games on handhelds and, very rarely, consoles. And non of those games are in my opinion suitable for D&D.
Also the target group of people who play turn based games on PC/consoles and the target group of D&D doesn't overlap much.
...You'll note I'm still more or less talking about handhelds, right? You'll note there's no LACK of turn based games on handhelds, especially RPGs?

And even though turn based games do well on portables, and we've had many prime example of turn based RPGs, you dont think it's a suitable platform for DnD? Why not, aside from personal preforance?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads