• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E - What Rules Need Fixing?

SadisticFishing

First Post
Armor makes you harder to hit hurt.

Does that make you feel any better?[/QUOTE]

It's true. The guy with the ninja robes' would probably have an easier time hitting the guy in plate mail, slightly, but it wouldn't go through the armor easily, at all. Otherwise, why wear it at all?

Bulletproof vests are also AC, as it still hurts when it hits them, but it's not enough to be "damage", just pain.

The Shadow Lich

First Post
Point blank my 45 might not go through you vest but my 30-06 will period. Your just as easy to hit wearing the vest you just die better with the bigger gun(bigger weapon stronger person). Im sorry to put it in future terms but thats my point your still just as easy to hit. It needs to go to damage reduction. In midevil days flails were destroyers of plate mail it was the equivialt of getting hit by about 800 pounds per square inch. Thats a flail with a two pound ball. The typical flail. It crushed plate mail like it wasnt there. Some weapons did better against some armors. Chain mail was awesome against slashing weapons but sucked against arrows.

Last edited:

ArmoredSaint

First Post
I would also like to see armour represented as Damage Reduction. We could argue endlessly about whether or not D&D is supposed to be an accurate simulation of reality, but I think this option just makes more sense than the way the game has always done it.

Jarrod

First Post
OP:

I'd like to see them systematically work on real fixes to the "patch" prestige classes - any PrC that serves no real purpose other than give a multiclass. Mystic Theurge, I'm looking at you! They started this with the Complete Scoundrel combo feats, and I'd like to see that addressed. If possible, at lower levels - I've never liked the "I suck until 5th when I start getting my goodies" approach.

OT:

Of course the guy in plate mail is easier to hit. That's why his touch AC is a heck of a lot lower than the guy in ninja robes. And that cleric there with a harm up the pipe will have an easier time hitting him, too.

sdt

First Post
If you want realism the guy in the ninja jimmies would run away or be killed. Ninjas were adept at killing sleeping people, but not so good when confronted.

Knight Otu

First Post
They need to get rid of Hit Dice (not level, hit dice). Hit Dice are the root of all evil. They are what make monstrous characters and level adjustment a mess. The "sometimes we count as levels, sometimes not" thing is a mess. They make brutes smart and tactical thanks to skills and feats. And if not, they make them suboptimal (you have how many Toughness feats?). They beat up children in the night and blame it on innocent things. They make cats commoner-killers.

sirwmholder

First Post
Turning... Counterspelling... Grappling... yeah I'd say those would be the top three.

Just as a personal preference... I'd like it if Level = HD = CR... if a Creature is powerful enough to warrant a CR 5 then it should have the racial HD of 5... likewise level adjustment should just go away. It should be balanced with any other 5 HD creature including PCs.

Sorry for the rant,
William Holder

Delta

First Post
I think that AOOs need to go from the core rules (keep them as a variant, if you like). My players cried out for that when I last asked them what version of D&D they'd like to play next.

Delta

First Post
The Shadow Lich said:
In midevil days flails were destroyers of plate mail it was the equivialt of getting hit by about 800 pounds per square inch. Thats a flail with a two pound ball. The typical flail. It crushed plate mail like it wasnt there. Some weapons did better against some armors. Chain mail was awesome against slashing weapons but sucked against arrows.

Yay, here come weapon type vs. armor lookups again. Tried it in earlier editions, it was rejected; it's too complicated for a tabletop game.

Nail

First Post
None of this discussion matters, now. The 4e books are practicly written, so it's not like they're gonna take suggestions.

Sigh. (shambles off)

Remove ads