D&D 4E 4E: What we think we know

Nebulous

Legend
I'd like to know this: will 4e take the idea from SWSE and have first level PC's considerably tougher? so that never again will you have a mage wander into a dungeon with 4 hp?

Glyfair

Explorer
Nebulous said:
I'd like to know this: will 4e take the idea from SWSE and have first level PC's considerably tougher? so that never again will you have a mage wander into a dungeon with 4 hp?

One of the designers was answering a question about hit points on the official forum and stated the idea behind HP in 4E is that you won't have to worry about dying from a single blow at 1st, 10th, or 30th level (or something like that).

Nebulous

Legend
Glyfair said:
One of the designers was answering a question about hit points on the official forum and stated the idea behind HP in 4E is that you won't have to worry about dying from a single blow at 1st, 10th, or 30th level (or something like that).

hmm. that's interesting.

RFisher

Explorer
Snapdragyn said:
RFisher, thanks for your comments. That's exactly what I expect to see a lot of DMs do, & I think WotC is just completely out of sync with reality if they expect otherwise. It's for that reason that I really hope they will change their minds about keeping the Bard out of the PHB & putting it into PHB2; I know that if they do that, I'll not get to play a Bard with some DMs. :(

Is it really so much more likely that you'll be allowed to play a Bard simply because the class is in the PHB1? Is it really so much more likely that you won't be if it isn't?

& even if it is, don't you expect there will be plenty of other interesting PC possibilities for you to explore in a PHB1 sans Bard? Save the Bard ideas for the DM that lets you play a Bard, whether the class is in the PHB1 or not.

I figure they're putting together the best (in their opinion, of course) PHB1 they can given the constrains they're under. That likely means making a lot of very tough decisions. If deferring the Bard is the lesser of two unfortunate choices, can we really begrudge them that?

zoroaster100

First Post
Glyfair said:

This could mean introducing a new mechanic or it could mean simply that first level characters start with more hit points and that the game is balanced in such way that damage capability for monsters of a proper "challenge rating" (or whatever term is used in 4e) can't bring down a character of the appropriate level in a single blow.

Remove ads