4E with 1E Feel: Does that appeal to you?

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Step 1: Remove kewl powerz. Replace with abilities that grow with the character and are not plug-n-play.

Step 2; Make classes feel distinctly different

Step 3: The return of spells that actually DO something

Step 4: Abolish Minions

Step 5: Get rid of the rogue. It becomes a thief, lack of combative power
will be made up for in other parts of the game.

Step 6: The Re-inclusion of non-combat play

Step 7: As per 3 with regard to magic items.

Step 8: Effects will exist that can possibly remove you from combat longer than 1 round. It will no longer take 2 hours to chew through 8 kobolds so you won't be stuck THAT long.

Thats a start. What next?

When can I buy this?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You do know that making fun of someone's opinion is not a good way to make a point?

What he expressed maybe his acnedotal experience, maybe his GM was more lenient or maybe your DM was a killerdm.

it's all relative.

I would DEARLY enjoy hearing how the level 2 party went through 20 orcs. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that, sometimes, it never happened in the first place.

Voadam

Legend
Sure, in theory, if it fixed what I consider "wrong" with 4E at present. Based on the posts I've seen from the Necromancer guys I think they and I are on the same page.

But in practice I think the GSL is a major speed bump to this.

I expect he's messing around under the OGL and not the GSL for this.

1/2 level + attribute bonus + misc modifiers is a formula you can work with under the OGL.

cangrejoide

First Post
I would DEARLY enjoy hearing how the level 2 party went through 20 orcs. The problem with anecdotal evidence is that, sometimes, it never happened in the first place.

I'll admit its kinda hard . But its not impossible.

There are so many variables at work here:

Lucky rolls
Fighting in a corridor or a natural choke point
Burning Hands+sleep spell
Surprise round
Ranged advantage

Korgoth

First Post
I like the 1E feel so much I'd rather just play 1E, or OD&D, or Classic. Those games are still working for me.

I'd much rather see Clark and his peeps work on products for old school systems.

Tewligan

First Post
I don't get this. By about 5th level in 1e you are a god. Very, very little can kill you in melee. The only reason 1e was so dangerous was the large number of save or die effects. In terms of relative power, 1ed characters are extremely powerful. There's a reason you can wade your 2nd level party through 20 orcs and expect to win.
Man, my 1e players are going to think I'm a total hardass! They're 3rd level, and they just got their asses handed to them last session by 10 skeletons wearing a little bit of armor.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I feel there's insufficient information for me to make a judgment.

I would not, on current information, buy the product sight-unseen. I'd wait at least until other EN Worlders had seen it and talked it over some, or until I had a chance to look through it myself.

Remathilis

Legend
Step 5: Get rid of the rogue. It becomes a thief, lack of combative power
will be made up for in other parts of the game.

For the love of all things holy, NO!! Its taken thieves/rogues nearly 35 years to become a competent character in combat. Fighters take the fight to the enemy. Mages cast destructive spells, clerics heal and buff (as well as fling their own destructive spells). Thieves? Well, they are play occasional archer (hitting less than 50% of the time) or sneak-attacker (of which they have neither the hp nor AC to survive in melee against monsters made to challenge fighters).

My reward? I get to solo-game with the DM whenever I go on a thief-y mission (scouting, stealing) while everyone else is bored. Weee!

Personally, I like the fact rogues became martial characters (not as strong as a fighter, but no wimp and easily equal to a cleric) who can go into melee with dodges, feints, and agile attacks as well as sneak, steal, do traps, and lie with the best of em.

Remove ads