4F for Freedom!

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Bulwark said:
"Well, I'm sure if I was a soldier I'd have some. But it all seems kinda straightforward to me. We go to Adak Island, guard the facility, slam the super-Japs if and when they turn up, and then wait for new instructions. Oh, hang on...I think maybe I do have a question. It talks about 'known metahuman abilities'..is there any information on the..I dunno, - the power, or level, or extent, whatever you want to call it - of these guys' abilities? For instance, it says 'super-human strength'..do we know if that's 'as strong as two men', or 'able to lift a tank', or just that he's stronger than normal people? I just guess I'd like to know if we have any better information on what we might be having to deal with."

The Major nods. "More intelligence would be nice. Unfortunately, there isn't any. At least not to me. Judging by the recon photos of Potemkin, I'd say that the potential for extreme levels of super-human strength is quite possible. Take a close look at the lower left quandrant of the picture three. That's a two-and-a-half ton truck sticking out of the second story of the barracks. It got up there somehow. Possibly it was thrown.

"Which does bring up an issue lurking behind the scenes, so to speak. Rising Sun are soldiers. Particularly brutal in many respects, but that's no surprise coming from the Jap military. If you encounter them, it may very well be kill or be killed.

"Of course, your particular, um, talents, shall we say, give you options that a normal soldier or sailor would never have."

Last edited:

Synchronicity

First Post
Paul O'Reiley, aka Bulwark

Mark Chance said:
The Major nods. "More intelligence would be nice. Unfortunately, there isn't any. At least not to me. Judging by the recon photos of Potemkin, I'd say that the potential for extreme levels of super-human strength is quite possible. Take a close look at the lower left quandrant of the picture three. That's a two-and-a-half ton truck sticking out of the second story of the barracks. It got up there somehow. Possibly it was thrown.

"Which does bring up an issue lurking behind the scenes, so to speak. Rising Sun are soldiers. Particularly brutal in many respects, but that's no surprise coming from the Jap military. If you encounter them, it may very well be kill or be killed.

"Of course, your particular, um, talents, shall we say, give you options that a normal soldier or sailor would never have."

Paul looks again at the indicated photograph, examining the truck, but he's distracted by the Major's next words. Another frown crosses his face for a moment, and he speaks seriously.

"I was afraid you might say something like that, Major. I..honestly, I don't know if I can kill anyone. I've always avoided it; I mean, even if they're the enemy, they're still human. I've always felt that using my powers to kill'd lower me to the level of thugs with guns and their ilk, killing people because they can. I...I came far too close to that once already."

A flash of unhappiness moves across Paul's face at his final words, but is swiftly gone.

Then again, I've never fought anyone with powers before. I might not have a choice...but when it comes down to it, I just don't know if I can willingly take a life; and I'm going to do my best to make sure I don't have to."

It seems obvious that Paul has given this some thought. His chair creaks for a moment, as the heaviness of his mood triggers a slight activation of his powers, but he quickly gets it under control. Paul looks hard at the photograph, his eyes locked on the truck. 'Could I really do it? Even for my country, could I kill a man? And would I have this hesitation if I was powerless? It's easy to take people alive when they can't hurt you...but what about when it's life or death? Have I ever really experienced that kind of situation?'

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Bulwark said:
"I was afraid you might say something like that, Major. I..honestly, I don't know if I can kill anyone. I've always avoided it; I mean, even if they're the enemy, they're still human. I've always felt that using my powers to kill'd lower me to the level of thugs with guns and their ilk, killing people because they can. I...I came far too close to that once already."

The Major nods again, a sad look in his eyes.

"I understand you fully, soldier," he says. "I was only 16 years old - I'd lied about my age, and since I looked older I got away with it - with the 77th when we went into the Argonne. The faces of the man I killed, of my friends who were killed, they still haunt me. Anyone who says it's easy being a soldier is full of crap." He pauses, swallows. "It's like York said, 'I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had.'

"That's all our country asks from us. That we give the best we have."

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Gaines takes a short stack of manila folders from the Major and hands them to Bulwark, Atlas, Mustang Sally, and Eagle.

Lily stare a moment at the name written on his folder.

Eagle. So long time I havn't seen that name. Only James was using it. He told me I had an eagle eye, and it stick to me. Wait a second, does it mean they have been spying my private live too?

Major said:
"Any questions?"

"Yes..." she hesitates a moment.

It will be better not to know after all.

"You want the four of us meet five full trained soldier, and you think we have a chance? Why you don't get another team, so we have the advantage of the number, if we can't have the combat experience."

Synchronicity

First Post

Mark Chance said:
The Major nods again, a sad look in his eyes.

"I understand you fully, soldier," he says. "I was only 16 years old - I'd lied about my age, and since I looked older I got away with it - with the 77th when we went into the Argonne. The faces of the man I killed, of my friends who were killed, they still haunt me. Anyone who says it's easy being a soldier is full of crap." He pauses, swallows. "It's like York said, 'I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had.'

"That's all our country asks from us. That we give the best we have."

Paul's eyes widen as the Major speaks. 'He was in the 77th? Good God..' Paul sits there for a moment, digesting the Major's words. When he speaks again, the steely determination has returned to his voice.

"Well, Sir, I don't like killing and I'll avoid it if I can. But if it's a choice between me taking a life and me putting this country's wellbeing in jeopardy by refusing to kill, that's no decision at all."

As Lily speaks, Paul seems about to say something, but glances at the Major and remains silent. 'He's the guy in charge; wouldn't want to step on his toes by offering my opinion...'

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Eagle said:
"You want the four of us meet five full trained soldier, and you think we have a chance? Why you don't get another team, so we have the advantage of the number, if we can't have the combat experience."

Major Hazard looks deadly serious.

"We don't have another team in this part of the country, and we don't have a team with any significant combat experience. This program is too new. Probably moving too fast, to be honest. But what we do have is the element of surprise. The Rising Sun might now about Nemo, but they don't know about you.

"Also, you're not going in alone. Gaines has seen action in the Pacific. There is also a platoon of Marines from the 1st Division at Cruden. Those boys are tough all around.

"You're in a tough spot, no doubt. I've seen hopeless, and this situation is not hopeless."

Karl Green

First Post
Atlas

Atlas is excited about all of this, thinking finally I get to serve this great country... I can't wait

Listening to Paul he also starts thinking about who is going to be in charge of this team and he is quit happy about it

When Lily voices her concerns and the major replies Atlas is nodding his head the whole time. He finally speaks ups saying "When do we go Major? I sure do want to get out there and start our mission"

Synchronicity

First Post

Paul speaks again as Atlas finishes talking.

"If I remember correctly, we're leaving here at 1430; that's in less than two hours time. It doesn't sound like we have any reason to delay; we've not got much information on these super-Japs, and the fastest way to get more information is to encounter them. it looks like the best thing for us to do is get out to the facility as soon as possible. For all we know, the Japs could be planning their attack even now. We've got to get out there and be ready for anything; and try and keep our presence a secret as long as we can. Outnumbered as we are, surprise is one of our greatest advantages."

Paul stops talking and rubs the back of his neck in an embarrassed fashion.

"Of course, I'm not a military man, so I could be misunderstanding the situation.."

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
"Fine for me not to delay the departure, but before, I want to know. Do you have any hand projectile I could carry. Throwing knives, darts, shuriken or even baseball. And I would take the usual stuff too, like a camo suit, guns, flak jacket and other things you can procure us."

Kevin Perrine

First Post
MUSTANG SALLY finally speaks up...

Velmont said:
"So, Sally, what did you wanted to know. I think you have another question in mind. Am I wrong?"

Sensing a little weird attitude (maybe hostility?) - Sally knew it was time to clam up and listen for a bit.......
Sally had lots of questions in mind... it's just that ten minutes ago they were all mostly wondering about if the new team she'd met so shortly ago would like her...
They'd all gotten a chance to get at least a touch familiar with one another... For whatever reason Sally hadn't been invited to their first meeting. Sally read too much into this, as she normally would do... In all likelyhood it was probably due to a late arrival or something.
Her self consciousness could get the better of her if she didn't watch...

Either way she didn't want Lily to think that she was trying to take any spotlight away from her... but then again Sally knew what it meant to not stand up to a bully.

hush yer mouth girl, Sally thought of herself... you outa know better than to push on someone like that, take it slow... take it slow...

Synchronicity said:
"Of course, I'm not a military man, so I could be misunderstanding the situation.."

Oh man, "Bull's Art" isn't even in the military?!? she thought, not being able to believe that someone like him wouldn't have already been trained to do this kinda thing... Sally knew that she had very little training - that wasn't why she was here. It was her flying ability that she shown best at... Nobody but nobody could hand her "Angel-Wings" like Sally.
The problem was - if Paul didn't know what he was really getting into, how on Earth would Sally fair??

Mark Chance said:
"Your particular part of the Metahuman Military Detachment is being assigned to Port Cruden on Adak Island.
I do know this: the research, dubbed Project Nemo, has something to do with rapid mass transit of troops and equipment."

Inside is a single sheet of paper paperclipped to several grainy black-and-white aerial photographs.

Japanese super-soldiers, designated Rising Sun, apparently include the following personnel:

1. Aji-Suki-Taka-Hi-Kone. Known meta-abilities: able to project lightning; capable of flight.
2. Bishamon.
3. Kintaro.
4. O-Kuni-Nushi.
5. Oni.

"Any questions?"

Our "paticular part"??
Mass Transport??
Super Soldiers??!!

Sally's tummy was getting a bit queezy... She wondered about the pictures, quickly thinking that she might mention.....

"Uummm, Sir...? I... I bet I could sweep in closer for better pictures if... uhhhh... if maybe... sometime... ummm... nexxxttt-ttime...?... Sally realized that she'd already spoken up before knowing what exactly she hoped to get across.
She was SO eager to help... and she understood so very little about how she could help...... She'd tested the "Angel-Wing" and she knew she could make some top notch close range manuvers, she even diced up a few watermelons training to control the blades... as "Mustang Sally" she had some pretty good control... but being in something real?!! that was different...

Pushing back into her chair to avoid much more attention than she had already brought to herself she .......... and then her mouth took over again...

"This guy... this 'JAP'" Sally spoke up with some authority this time... Calling him a "Jap", she'd never even said something derogitory like that before... but ... She KNEW this! and if she KNEW it - her normal shyness would disappear, without a thought. "Aji-Suu.....ki(?)" Sally said with a touch of trepidation before rolling back into a confidence "He can fly? I've never seen anyone up there not in a cockpit! He's MINE Sir... He won't know what hit'em.
Realizing that she may have sounded...... mean.... Sally stepped back a little...
"it's just... the sky... it's MINE!!

Synchronicity said:
"... Oh, hang on...I think maybe I do have a question. It talks about 'known metahuman abilities'..is there any information on the..I dunno, - the power, or level, or extent, whatever you want to call it - of these guys' abilities? ..."

Paul sits back after he's finished, taking a drink and looking a little self-conscious.

"ME TOO!!, I wanna know ummm 'power level', errr 'extents'... What would you consider us - Sir? What level, I mean Sir..?" Sally clearly was beginning to feel a bit more comfortable... As she finished speaking she glanced about at everyone for "approval" of sorts. Taking a paticularly longer time with Paul... Hoping he'd notice her, she liked him... he was nice to her. (if he looks Sally gives him a cute deep dimple smile, tilting her head to say thanks)

Synchronicity said:
"... I..honestly, I don't know if I can kill anyone. I've always avoided it; I mean, even if they're the enemy, they're still human. I've always felt that using my powers to kill'd lower me to the level of thugs with guns and their ilk, killing people because they can. I...I came far too close to that once already."

It seems obvious that Paul has given this some thought.

"guuulp..." Sally hadn't ... given killing anyone a though... until now.......... :(

Velmont said:

at first you would think that it wasn't Sally speaking... the thought was much deeper, thought out than an 18 year old might have... and then as if to comfort her new friends Sally speaks up at first still looking at her shoes, slowly gaining more courage, slowly looking into each of her new team's eyes......

"yes..... we few four.... it's true Bulls-Art... Atlas... Lily.... we aren't trained, we are only four... hehe.. Less to some if you count me and Lily as 'GIRLS'... or maybe we make up for it with the big guy up there As she glances up at her teammate Atlas. "It's true we go into the forest alone in body... but don't forget - in SPIRIT we have an uncle... Uncle SAM!! and he has a few friends of his own that will be coming with us...
My daddy used to say that everytime he buckled on his gun that he had friends to back him up...... He had... George Washington, John Adams, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere, Abraham Lincoln, General Patton, Charlie Chaplin, Babe Ruth, Flash Gordon, Mickey Mouse, and even Betty Boop ridin' on his side... And he had me and my brothers, and mom...
He never went in alone.

Sally tried to hold back the little tear, thinking about her lost family, as she mustered every bit of sincerity she could into her SUPRISING speach...
"And... by golly... I ain't goin' in alone either fellas!! Belief is stronger than knowledge. So cheer up Pauly! I'll watch out for ya... LOL...
As Sally rounded off her speech into a touch of the levity that she tried to make everyone comfy with...

Remove ads