4F for Freedom!

Synchronicity

First Post
Paul O'Reiley, aka Bulwark.

Mustang Sally said:
As she finished speaking she glanced about at everyone for "approval" of sorts. Taking a paticularly longer time with Paul... Hoping he'd notice her, she liked him... he was nice to her. (if he looks Sally gives him a cute deep dimple smile, tilting her head to say thanks)

at first you would think that it wasn't Sally speaking... the thought was much deeper, thought out than an 18 year old might have... and then as if to comfort her new friends Sally speaks up at first still looking at her shoes, slowly gaining more courage, slowly looking into each of her new team's eyes......

"yes..... we few four.... it's true Bulls-Art... Atlas... Lily.... we aren't trained, we are only four... hehe.. Less to some if you count me and Lily as 'GIRLS'... or maybe we make up for it with the big guy up there As she glances up at her teammate Atlas. "It's true we go into the forest alone in body... but don't forget - in SPIRIT we have an uncle... Uncle SAM!! and he has a few friends of his own that will be coming with us...
My daddy used to say that everytime he buckled on his gun that he had friends to back him up...... He had... George Washington, John Adams, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere, Abraham Lincoln, General Patton, Charlie Chaplin, Babe Ruth, Flash Gordon, Mickey Mouse, and even Betty Boop ridin' on his side... And he had me and my brothers, and mom...
He never went in alone.

Sally tried to hold back the little tear, thinking about her lost family, as she mustered every bit of sincerity she could into her SUPRISING speach...
"And... by golly... I ain't goin' in alone either fellas!! Belief is stronger than knowledge. So cheer up Pauly! I'll watch out for ya... LOL...
As Sally rounded off her speech into a touch of the levity that she tried to make everyone comfy with...

Paul hid a quick smile as Sally laid her claim to the skies. 'Well, nobody's going to be questioning her pluck..' He gave Sally a warm and reassuring smile in return to her looking around. It's hard to be sure of yourself with people you just met..people you're going to have to trust with your life in the not too distant future. I think we all need all the reassurance we can get.'

As Sally mispronounced his name, Paul 'coughed', hiding his laugh with a quickly upraised hand. 'Bulls-Art! Hahahahaha! I kind of like it!' However, he had control of himself again by the time Sally finished. Paul spoke up again.

"It's just like Sally said. Sure, it looks like they have the advantage if you just look at the numbers; but doing that, you're ignoring the American spirit. We're doing this for the good of our country; maybe, if Nemo's that important to this war, for the good of the world. I don't care if they've got five or fifty super-Japs out there, trying to defeat us; I refuse to be beaten. Dammit, I'm an American, born and bred, and I've never met an real American who was a quitter. We can win, and I say we will. Because it's for our country. And I'm not going to let my country down."

Paul is standing by the end of his impromptu speech, resting his hands on the table.He speaks with a passionate fevour that brings a powerful determination to his face, and the others in the room can see why this apparently easy-going man would put on a costume and go fight for his principles. It's Bulwark speaking, not Paul. The others realise that earlier, they met Paul in the Bulwark costume, not Bulwark; and now, they're seeing the part of Paul that refuses to quit, and always wants to make a difference: the part of Paul which is Bulwark. When he finishes, he bows his head for a moment, and then looks up again, still standing.

"Sally; you're going to need to make that flying Jap your top priority. Unless anyone's been hiding their light under a bushel, none of the rest of us can fly. That means you're the only one who can fight him off the ground. Can you do that? It doesn't mean you have to do it alone; I can throw some damn heavy things, and it sounds like Lily's a crack shot throwing things, too. Plus, if we can force him to the ground, we can all have a crack at him. But you'll probably have to engage him first. Can you handle that?"

Paul holds Sally's gaze, his eyes determined, yet compassionate. After a few moments, whether or not she's answered, he breaks eye contact.

"Alright. The rest of us..I don't offhand see how one of us would be better against any of the other enemies than anyone else, except that I'd say it'd probably be best if Atlas or I took on the super-strong character. What do you'll think?"

Paul sits down again, but he seems a lot less embarrassed by his outburst this time; like he doesn't have the time to wonder about his own capabilities with other things to do.

Velmont

First Post
Lianne Jefferson, aka Lily, aka Eagle

With her sweet tone, she reply to Paul "Don't misunderstand me, lover. I am not a quitter, but I am not a Kamikaze... that's the word for the Japs who crash in Pearl Harbor? ... I just want to know in what I jump into. It is call good sense, that's all."

Last edited:

Kevin Perrine

First Post
Sally Singer aka. Mustang Sally

Synchronicity said:
"Sally; you're going to need to make that flying Jap your top priority. Unless anyone's been hiding their light under a bushel, none of the rest of us can fly. That means you're the only one who can fight him off the ground. Can you do that? It doesn't mean you have to do it alone; I can throw some damn heavy things, and it sounds like Lily's a crack shot throwing things, too. Plus, if we can force him to the ground, we can all have a crack at him. But you'll probably have to engage him first. Can you handle that?"

Paul holds Sally's gaze, his eyes determined, yet compassionate. After a few moments, whether or not she's answered, he breaks eye contact.

Sally's big auburn eyes held with Paul for a few seconds until he looked away... He reminded her SO much of her dad and brothers. Strong, companssionate, handsome.
She felt a big more comforted by his "acceptance", she knew she'd made a friend this day... As she nodded in confirmation.
As the resident "eye in the sky" she'd have a big responsibility and she was planning on shirking it!

Synchronicity said:
"Alright. The rest of us..I don't offhand see how one of us would be better against any of the other enemies than anyone else, except that I'd say it'd probably be best if Atlas or I took on the super-strong character. What do you'll think?"

Paul sits down again,

excited again Sally speaks up....
"Well 'Bulls-art' that's not all I can do... me and my Angel-Wings as she looks to the crate holding her modified P-51 engines...
"I've worked into .50 machnine guns pods into the nose canon of each hand of my Angel-Wing..... I anticipated only using them for circus flying in the states - so they only fire rocksalt rounds...... they'll pack a whallop but won't kill. I can load them out with live rounds but it takes a little time and brackets the load so heavy that I can only carry a few bursts and not stay up for very long at all...
I can also cause some havok with the wind - like big ol' blower fans.
And... I ain't never tried it on nothin' more than watermellons but the prop... it functions like big whirly blades ... for uuhhh... CLOSE encounters.

Sally says, the others could probably way outshine her silly little contraption... She wondered what they could fully do...

Velmont said:
With her sweet tone, she reply to Paul "Don't misunderstand me, lover. I am not a quitter, but I am not a Kamikaze... that's the word for the Japs who crash in Pearl Harbor? ... I just want to know in what I jump into. It is call good sense, that's all."

Sally's eyes hit the floor again as she thought...
oh man... I didn' know that Paul and Lily was seeing each other. I gotta be more respectful of that. Gotta remember, shouldn't "flirt" with someone elses man... man, that's probably why Lily doesn't like me... maybe I should apologize and wish them well.
Sally hoped she wasn't too forward, speaking up and making eye contact with Paul... She knew better - it just must have been the high energy of the war speaking for her...

Synchronicity

First Post
Paul O'Reiley, aka Bulwark

Mustang Sally said:
excited again Sally speaks up....
"Well 'Bulls-art' that's not all I can do... me and my Angel-Wings as she looks to the crate holding her modified P-51 engines...
"I've worked into .50 machnine guns pods into the nose canon of each hand of my Angel-Wing..... I anticipated only using them for circus flying in the states - so they only fire rocksalt rounds...... they'll pack a whallop but won't kill. I can load them out with live rounds but it takes a little time and brackets the load so heavy that I can only carry a few bursts and not stay up for very long at all...
I can also cause some havok with the wind - like big ol' blower fans.
And... I ain't never tried it on nothin' more than watermellons but the prop... it functions like big whirly blades ... for uuhhh... CLOSE encounters.

Paul gave another of his low whistles of admiration as Sally elaborated upon her harness's capabilities.

"Sounds like you've got quite the bag of tricks there. With that many abilities to choose from, you should always have an option open, and that's a useful thing. I know you'll do the best for your country, just like the rest of us. Don't forget, you won't be out there alone; we'll all be watching each other's backs."

Lily said:
"Don't misunderstand me, lover. I am not a quitter, but I am not a Kamikaze... that's the word for the Japs who crash in Pearl Harbor? ... I just want to know in what I jump into. It is call good sense, that's all."

Paul splutters for a moment at Lily's mode of address, but quickly recovers himself. 'She's mighty familiar, considering we only met a few hours ago!'

"I never said you were a quitter, Lily. I don't believe anyone here is. But as for what we're getting into...I think the Major's given us all the information he has. We'll just have to take our chances."

Paul seems about to stop talking, but then speaks again.

"And...you know my name's Paul. I'd appreciate it if you used it, rather than...anything else. Especially considering we only just met. Although...I'd just like to ask; do you make a pastime of putting me off balance?"

Paul sounds a little exasperated by the end, but there's an undercurrent of humour that suggests he sees the funny side of getting flustered by a simple comment. He cocks a quizzical eyebrow at Lily, exasperation and amusement warring on his face.

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Atlas

While the rest debate and talk, Atlas grows to his full 12-foot height and paces back and forth, ready to go right now. He does not say much, but tries to listen to the others, especially Paul, for advises on who should be his target.

It is fairly obvious to all that he is very excited by the idea of fighting…

"Ah is it time to go yet? Can I help pack our plane or something? I can lift a lot of weight if I have to. I wonder if they got a winter coat big enough for me?"

Velmont

First Post
Paul said:
"And...you know my name's Paul. I'd appreciate it if you used it, rather than...anything else. Especially considering we only just met. Although...I'd just like to ask; do you make a pastime of putting me off balance?"

Lianne smiles at Paul reaction.

One word and he is off balance... interesting.

Kevin Perrine

First Post
SALLY SINGER makes some trouble for herself!

Synchronicity said:
Paul gave another of his low whistles of admiration as Sally elaborated upon her harness's capabilities.

"Sounds like you've got quite the bag of tricks there. With that many abilities to choose from, you should always have an option open, and that's a useful thing. I know you'll do the best for your country, just like the rest of us. Don't forget, you won't be out there alone; we'll all be watching each other's backs."

Sally looks at Paul - taking his words for what they are... perhaps a little too literally.
"Bag of Tricks Sir...? uhh.. I don't have any bag. It's my P-51's they carry almost all the weight of usefullness themselves. Well... except for this here special harness...
As Sally opens the specially zipped liner of her brushed leather flight-bomber jacket she's had on since landing, shortly after checking her Angel-Wing equipment.
"...see ... it's my flight harness, it helps me to lift up the Angel-Wings. Sorta like a bug's exo-skeleton. It makes me real strong. ...Not truck-throwing 'strong' but pretty darn strong for a girl.
looking down at her shoes again, and then up glancing at the team - then finally at Paul, Sally gives him a friendly wink. He really did remind her of her dad... Always looking to make her feel a little more comfortable, when he could tell she was nervous.
That was nice of him, and she wouldn't forget...

MEANWHILE...
Karl Green said:
Atlas grows to his full 12-foot height and paces back and forth,
"Ah is it time to go yet? Can I help pack our plane or something? I can lift a lot of weight if I have to. I wonder if they got a winter coat big enough for me?"

Sally liked the idea of having the two men on her team... Paul was really nice and something about Atlas just made her feel ... safe. She could tell the big guy was getting ants-in-his-pants ... all jacked up and ready to go.
Sally was too...
She was ready to do some rolls and neg-g dives, she couldn't wait to get up there... so that she could really show the team what she could do. It was really obvious with Paul and Atlas. Even Lily had shown her tenacity and strength just talking to the guys.
But Sally - she'd done nothing more than boast. But Atlas was right, if it would help the team get into action quicker - she was ready to give some action...
Sally chuckled to herself, as she stepped to the buggy sized crate that held her Angel-Wings on the rack inside. Getting a good hand-hold of the crate that was probably just under a TON in weight Sally lifted it fully ABOVE HER HEAD!!
Knees shaking from the (now off balance) weight, her attempt to impress everyone with her suprizing strength had turned .... not so good...

"See fellas, my flight-jacket makes me SUPER strong!! I got my equipment ready to go, all riiiight... riiiiiight... uuuuhhhh..... whoahhhh... whoahhhhhh... WHOAHHHH!!!
..... L-I-T-T-L-E - HELP - PLEASE...!
Mustang Sally sputtered out as the weight accidentally shifted from lifting the weight (on the max of her capacity) to a position directly above her head!!

Sally's Strength Harness within her flight-jacket didn't enhance her LEG STRENGTH!!! OOPS!!! she thought as her knees shook and began to buckle!!

Last edited:

Synchronicity

First Post
Paul O'Reiley, aka Bulwark

Since it seemed like the briefing was pretty much over, Paul followed the others back to the plane, now wanting nothing more than to get airbourne and on their way. Although he was trying not to show it, Paul was almost as impatient as Atlas, wanting to start the mission as soon as possible.

Kevin Perrine said:
Sally chuckled to herself, as she stepped to the buggy sized crate that held her Angel-Wings on the rack inside. Getting a good hand-hold of the crate that was probably just under a TON in weight Sally lifted it fully ABOVE HER HEAD!!
Knees shaking from the (now off balance) weight, her attempt to impress everyone with her suprizing strength had turned .... not so good...

"See fellas, my flight-jacket makes me SUPER strong!! I got my equipment ready to go, all riiiight... riiiiiight... uuuuhhhh..... whoahhhh... whoahhhhhh... WHOAHHHH!!!
..... L-I-T-T-L-E - HELP - PLEASE...!
Mustang Sally sputtered out as the weight accidentally shifted from lifting the weight (on the max of her capacity) to a position directly above her head!!

Sally's Strength Harness within her flight-jacket didn't enhance her LEG STRENGTH!!! OOPS!!! she thought as her knees shook and began to buckle!!

Paul smiled at Sally's display of strength, but quickly moved to help as she began staggering. Paul's density suddenly increased several times over - although not to anywhere near his maximum level - and with seemingly no effort he gently lifted the bag away from Sally one-handed, taking care not to jostle it too much. 'Don't know how fragile these things are...probably shouldn't toss 'em around like a sack of potatoes.'

"You're right, that harness is pretty impressive. Where do you want me to put this?"

As Paul moves to put the bag where Sally directs him to, he also speak quietly to the girl.

"You're probably pretty nervous at the moment, right? Maybe feeling a little like the odd one out? Well, don't worry about it. We're all nervous about going and fighting super-Japs; you'd have to be mad not to be. And as for being the odd one out...we're a team now. As far as I'm concerned, we're all equals here, and we've all got something to offer; if we didn't, we wouldn't be here. Maybe you're thinking that what you can do isn't as impressive, or isn't as useful, as what Atlas or Lily or I can do. But you'd be wrong. Everyone's got their own talents. I know I'd give a lot to be able to fly."

Paul looks down at Sally, still nonchalently carrying the heavy bag as if it weighed nothing more than a newspaper, and smiled.

"OK?"

Last edited:

Kevin Perrine

First Post
Mustang Sally

Synchronicity said:
Paul looks down at Sally, still nonchalently carrying the heavy bag as if it weighed nothing more than a newspaper, and smiled.

"OK?"

Sally, a little embarrassed smiles and nods...
" ... 'kay..."quietly so that the others can't hear.....
"Paul, sir... do you know where the powder room is? I gotta go... pee.... Before we go..." :heh:

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Sorry for the dreadful delay. I was without internet access for the week.

Over the Pacific

Bulwark, Eagle, Atlas, and Mustang Sally, having been briefed at Fort Lewis, are en route to Adak Island. The military cargo plane jumps and shimmies in the rough, sub-Arctic air above the Pacific, its engines roaring like the buzz of a monstrous bee. Gaines shuffles from the cockpit back to his seat near the heroes.

"The pilot says we're about an hour away from Adak," Gaines reports. "We have some cause for concern. Adak isn't responding to radio. They also missed their last routine check in with Juneau. According to the weather service, there is a storm enveloping the island, so that might have downed Adak's radio."

Time passes, and the sky outside darkens from twilight purple to starry black. Of course, this far north this time of the year, the days are never long. Thick clouds roll by below in the moonlight. Flashes of lightning trace white hot, jagged lines. The co-pilot, one Captain Dillon, makes an appearance.

"We're above Adak," he says, "and there's still no radio contact. This storm is a real bear. If we drop below it, we'll be trying to land in near zero visibility in high winds. We have enough reserve fuel to make it back to Egret Station on the next nearest island. We could try for Adak after refueling and the storm's lifted. Or we could attempt the landing now. Your call."

Last edited:

Remove ads