4F for Freedom!

Synchronicity

First Post
Bulwark, heavy-hitting hero of..darn, run out of 'h' words.

"Oh."

For a moment, Bulwark looks taken aback, obviously not having expected Lily's denial. Then he grins a little abashedly.

"Well then, guess I owe you an apology for jumping to conclusions. I just assumed you'd got a letter like mine; and the only 'unique gifts' I've got are my strength and whatnot. Sorry, miss. But circus performer and baseball player? Sounds like you've done some interesting things in your time. Me, I'm just a construction worker. Moving heavy objects's pretty much all I'm good for."

A thought seems to strike Bulwark, and he looks at Atlas, curiosity in his posture.

"Hey..uh...Atlas. If it isn't too personal a question, what do you do? I mean, I'm thinking that I'd have heard a lot more about you if you went around looking like that all the time. You got a...I dunno, a 'day job', so to speak? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pry. Well, not too much, anyways. I'm just curious; never really met anyone else like me before. With powers, I mean."

Bulwark sits back a little, sipping his coffee.

'You know, Paul, you're gonna have to do something about this babbling you do when you're nervous. These people might not appreciate you trying to find out things about their lives. And what's there to be nervous about? I mean, you only got a letter from the President asking you to come here and..OK, maybe I see your point. But you've got to try and calm down a bit. Relax. Be patient.'

Bulwark looks down for a moment and mutters something inaudible, which, to anyone with really exceptional hearing, sounds a little like "Easier said than done.."

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Atlas

Atlas seems nervous for a bit, hanging his head and all, but after a second he regaining his 'open and happy' grin and says “Well I guess there is nothing to be embarrassed about or anything, but... well yes I do have a normal job in my... other identity... I... well you see I am an ice cream parlor jockey. Nothing to exciting that is for sure. So when I got these powers and all… well I was pretty happy let me tell you. I got a letter similar to yours by the way, to help defend the county from all invaders and evil doers.

Velmont

First Post
Lily looks at Paul with some smilling eyes, taking his remarks as something funny.

"Unique gifts? Yes, I got that letter. But what is a unique gift. From a genius, it will be his brain, from a body builder, it will be his strenght, for a gymnast, it will be his dexterity. And they are not necesserly special. It's true I have much a talent for circus stunts, but telling it is something normal people can't acheive, that's another matter. If you do something from as long as I have done some acrobatic, you'll be pretty good.

And circus performer is not an easy live. Yes, the show are pretty cool, but that's about 1% of the job. Most of the job, it is moving heavy things, like pole, ropes and all it is need to build the tents. So you don't have anything to be jalous of, and you surely had a better wage than me, and a better shedule."

Listening to Atlas.

"Ice cream parlor jockey. Now, that's somthing interesting. You surely made many kids happy, not talking about the good ice cream you could have."

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Atlas

Atlas listens to Lily, blushing a bit, and go back to drinking coffee. "So, what do you think they might need us for? I mean I suppose I could help sell war bones or something, but I'm really ready to go and kick some Nazi butt or knock some Jap tail"

Velmont

First Post
"As I said, I thought at first it was to entertain the soldiers. Now you talk about your special gifts, I don't know. But at least, I see they havn't team me up with some nobody. Cute and strong, and not so dumb at first sight."

She said these last words with her big lovely smiles, making some charming eyes to Atlas.

Synchronicity

First Post
Bulwark, delivering chivalry with an edge of sexism.

"I'm with you, Atlas. I'm willing to do whatever it is I can for America, but.." Bulwark gives a small grin "I admit, I'd prefer to be cracking some Japanazi heads."

Bulwark drinks again, watching the interplay between the other two.

"On the other hand, miss, I admit it might be a good thing if you're not like us. I don't reckon women should have to fight. Not that I don't reckon they could - you should see my Mom when she's on the warpath! - but...it just doesn't seem right."

Bulwark lapses into silence, frowning slightly.

(And there's those good old-fashioned 1940's values! :p )

Velmont

First Post
"That's a brave man" she says to Paul. "A man who is ready to protect my little existance from the evil Nazi. How gratefull I am. With two guys like you, I think I will not fear, wherever they want to sent me." She looks around "I think these militaries should learn the good manners. Making a lady wait is not very polite. At least, I have good company."

Karl Green

First Post
Ace

"Well if that's what my nation needs me for... selling bonds or lifting things to entertain the men who get to go and fight… well I guess I can do that… whatever you can do, right?"

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Sorry for the hold up. I've had a splitting headache for the past two days. I've got to start drinking heavily so I'll have a reason for this much head pain. As for Mustang Sally and Ghost, please continue being patient. I'll get Mustang Sally into the game very shortly. Ghost will follow soon thereafter. :D

------

Setting: Port Hueneme, CA, Classified Briefing Room.

Atlas said:
"Well if that's what my nation needs me for... selling bonds or lifting things to entertain the men who get to go and fight well I guess I can do that whatever you can do, right?"

As if on cue, there is a hiss from the hinges as the other door opens. In strides a tall man with doughy features that still manage to communicate a measure of steel. His name tag and Navy rank insignia identify him as Lieutenant Commander Johnson. PO3 Gaines snaps to attention, but relaxes modestly when Johnson waves him off.

"Sorry for keeping ya'll waiting," Johnson says, the Texas drawl prominent in his accent. "I'm Lieutenant Commander Lyndon Johnson. Ya'll can just call me Lyndon." He pauses, quickly sizing up each person present, starting with Lianne, then Bulwark, then Atlas. "I'm glad ta hear say you're willing to do whatever ya can to help, Atlas. Follow me, please. Gaines, you're dismissed."

PO3 Gaines exits the room after a crisp, "Yes, sir!" Johnson opens the other door again, steps into the next room, and gestures for you to follow. Once you've done so, he shuts and locks the door. There is a long conference table with four manila folders of paper.

"Please be seated," Johnson says. "There is one packet for each of you."

You take your seats. Thumbing through the packets, you see newspaper clippings and several declassified military documents, most of which have heavy black lines rendering several sections of text unreadable. All of the papers deal with Japanese incursions into the Aleutian Islands.

"If I can have your attention, I'll explain what we need."

Johnson goes on to explain that the Japanese, as most everyone knows, has made several unsuccessful attempts to set up military beachheads in the Aleutian Islands near Alaska, probably as the first step to an actual land invasion of the U.S.'s Pacific Northwest as well as parts of Canada. To date, these attempts have been reported unsuccessful.

"We want to keep the Japs unsuccessful in the Aleutians," Johnson says. "We think you three plus one other young lady we've contacted can be instrumental in these efforts. The Aleutians present several difficulties for conventional military forces. For this reason, after I was recalled from active duty to return to the Congress, I convinced the President that we needed some unconventional forces. You all's names rose to the top of our list."

He pauses to let his words sink in.

"If you are truly interested in serving your country, let me know now. I've got all the paperwork we need for you to be enlisted as members of the newly created Department of War's Metahuman Military Detachment. Time is of the essence, but let me emphasize that this is strictly voluntary. If you agree, you'll be deployed to the Aleutians within the next seventy-two hours."

Setting: Port Hueneme, CA, MMD Barracks

Mustang Sally, having already received her briefing from Johnson, sits in her spartan quarters in a hangar hastily converted to a combination barracks and mess hall. A copy of her special enlistment papers sits on the cot next to her. Her thoughts undoubtedly include ruminations about what the future of this unprecedented venture will hold.

Karl Green

First Post
Atlas

Atlas shrunk down to about 8ft tall to walk though the doors and will remain at that height throughout the briefing. He will start smiling when he hears about the 'mission' and the Army group that he will be allow to sign up to All my dreams are coming true... I can join! I really can join up and server this great nation. Var gut! he thinks. After Johnson is done talking he will stand, and say "Where do you want me to sign Commander! I am ready right now."

Remove ads