D&D (2024) 5.5/6e - Is it time for Wounds/Vitality?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If you do that, what are you buying other than overhead and complexity, especially when you include things like magical healing?

Let's say a PC has (arbitrary numbers here) VP: 30, W: 10 and they take 35 points of damage. There's no difference from HP other than you split up the numbers, right? So at this point they have VP:0, W:5. Now suppose you could recover VP but not W with a short rest so they have VP:30, W:5. They again take 35 points of damage and I assume they drop to 0.
You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

For combat purposes the PC here has 40 HP. When they reach 0 they start dying, or die outright depending on system.

The PC cannot recover FP (VP) in any way before it is back up to full BP (WP). So, no need to ever track two sets of numbers. For monsters, who almost never need to worry about recovering hit points because after the combat they are dead, it works just like normal.

The only added complexity comes in curing and resting, as a PC not at full BP (WP) a) takes longer to recover and b) cures are not as effective until-unless full BP (WP) is reached.

After that, FP (VP) recover as normal for the system in use.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What is the intention?

I see people saying it's superior, that it's better than HP... but how?
1. Clear delineation between mostly-meat and mostly-fatigue hit points
2. Easy to add in a lingering-injuries or incurability system for when someone goes into BP (WP).
3. Added realism of actual injuries being more difficult to patch up than simple fatigue or loss of stamina.
4. No more - or at worst very much less - whack-a-mole.
In most such systems, Wounds/Body is something that rarely comes up or it the special ability of things that are hyper-dangerous and those things have a commiserate lower damage because they're going to wounds, not lobbing 2d6 wounds at you on every single crit.
With what I have in mind, almost nothing ever goes straight to BP (WP); the only things that do are things that would almost certainly kill the PC anyway e.g. outright assassination attempts.
You don't go into Body every fight in HERO for example, and you don't go into wounds from a fist fight in other systems, but the proposed systems here seem to expect everyone to go into wounds every fight.
Only if the fight takes out all your FP (VP), which is something you'd probably want to avoid in any case.
I'm not sure what's actually being conceived of here.
About three or four different things at once, I suspect; some directly basing themselves off the SW system and others - like mine - basing themselves off of homebrew systems.

Edit: typos
:)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think so, if the point is to basically have some specified "meat" HP.
in the d20 SW wound points were (more or less) the "meat" because they were represented by your Constitution score only (no addition for higher levels, etc.).

As where Vitality (i.e. hit points) was your energy, skill, etc. used to avoid or turn physical damage aside. Losing vitality would result in sweating, labored breathing, muscle strain, etc. but no actual physical injury IIRC.

Stalker0

Legend
If you do that, what are you buying other than overhead and complexity, especially when you include things like magical healing?

Let's say a PC has (arbitrary numbers here) VP: 30, W: 10 and they take 35 points of damage. There's no difference from HP other than you split up the numbers, right? So at this point they have VP:0, W:5. Now suppose you could recover VP but not W with a short rest so they have VP:30, W:5. They again take 35 points of damage and I assume they drop to 0.

But what about magical healing or bandaids if you have the healer feat? Do you only recover VP? Recover W first? Do you have to actually rest to recover VP or does it recover if you're not doing something that not particularly strenuous so you could be walking around and exploring?
All of these questions are easy to define in such a system. The goal is that vitality recovers quickly and wounds take much longer. Magical healing would still fix wounds, you would heal wounds first and then vitality (and you could make it where cure wounds or "restore vitality" might heal 1d8 + 5 vitality or 1 wound (or whatever amount of healing feels right). Vitality might take a full 1 hour rest, or perhaps 5 minutes...whatever makes sense.

But these are a few rules updates in one section of the book (healing), its not a scenario where you rip out entire sections of the PH and have to replace them.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm not sure what's actually being conceived of here.
These things:
  • Creating a concrete definition between "Stamina/Luck" type HP and "Meat/Body" hp, which is common confusion and source of argument for people.
  • Provide both a measure of HP that are fast regenerating (maybe even faster than they are now), but also provide a means for a character to be injured in a way that takes actual time to heal (rather than a single night's rest).... and do it in a way that makes flavor sense.
  • Design it in a way where its easy for people to tailor to their games (as healing rates seems a common area for house rules). I could have more or less vitality in favor of wounds as a very easy example. I could have all wounds if I want a super gritty game, or all vitality if I want a superheroic.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is precisely why W/VP is a superior system IMO.

The Vitality aspect is the metaphysical.
The Wounds (Wound Points) aspect is the physical.

A system designed around this distinction would be much better. This is why I started the thread on using Hit Point Maximum to represent the "physical", in essence replacing the Wound component of the d20 SW system.

Oofta

Legend
A little more clarity in how you describe things. That's all you get, but I'd bet a majority of people who don't like hp as-is would actually be a lot happier with that as the only change.
I guess I'm not convinced that it adds much or that there's any significant demand for this. There's never going to be any system that's particularly accurate (whatever that means), I just don't see how breaking up HP into 2 numbers adds much.

But I also don't see it ever happening outside of house rules.

Remove ads