Planescape 5 New D&D Books Coming in 2023 -- Including Planescape!

At today's Wizards Presents event, hosts Jimmy Wong, Ginny Di, and Sydnee Goodman announced the 2023 line-up of D&D books, which featured something old, something new, and an expansion of a fan favorite.

DnD 2023 Release Schedule.png

The first of the five books, Keys from the Golden Vault, will arrive in winter 2023. At Tuesday's press preview, Chris Perkins, Game Design Architect for D&D, described it as “Ocean’s Eleven meets D&D” and an anthology of short adventures revolving around heists, which can be dropped into existing campaigns.

In Spring 2023, giants get a sourcebook just like their traditional rivals, the dragons, did in Fizban's Treasury of Dragons. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants will be a deep dive into hill, frost, fire, cloud, and storm giants, plus much more.

Summer 2023 will have two releases. The Book of Many Things is a collection of creatures, locations, and other player-facing goodies related to that most famous D&D magic item, the Deck of Many Things. Then “Phandelver Campaign” will expand the popular Lost Mine of Phandelver from the D&D Starter Set into a full campaign tinged with cosmic horror.

And then last, but certainly not least, in Fall 2023, WotC revives another classic D&D setting – Planescape. Just like Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, Planescape will be presented as a three-book set containing a setting guide, bestiary, and adventure campaign in a slipcase. Despite the Spelljammer comparison they did not confirm whether it would also contain a DM screen.

More information on these five titles will be released when we get closer to them in date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Well, you're adding two additional things to your request to make your odds much longer-- it has to be a simple psionics ruleset, and it has to be in hard cover? I assume you're not surprised that no one has taken up that challenge yet?

Now if you just want psionics... 3PP can cover you. But if you want simple psionics... who's going to be able to judge what you consider a simple ruleset? Heck... I'd say the psionics subclasses that WotC's already made are probably as simple as you could get and they are in hard cover. But the fact that that's apparently still not right for you means the odds of anyone else figuring it out and making what you want are even slimmer.
well, not kibbles and taste as that was like building a warlock lots of parts to pick only with a lot more work to it and no youtube guides on building one, as once you can make one you can branch out from there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think if that were true we would have seen evidence given the massive success of, say, MCDM's Flee Mortals and K&W.

I mean, those books and good stuff from 3PP exist so I can get the things I need. It just irks me to no end that WotC really doesn't seem to care much about GMs, especially in light of the fact that if there are no GMs, there is no D&D.
The new rule for Background is "choose a first level Feat," so "choose a first Level Feat" is a pretty straightforward fix for what we have so far. And, hey, look, where book published since Sunmer 2020 has given a free first level Feat.

I don't believe in publically-traded corporations. Shareholder arguments don't hold water for me.
Thumbs up.
I was totally serious with my commentary.

Something even more serious: everyone who wants to make money should look at what is sold and what not and rather produce things they can sell. Chances are that thongs that sell are things people want.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where? Serious question.
I mean...the humor and camp value is pretty constant, but the Town of Vallaki is high camp. I have trouble knowing where to even begin describing it if you don't see it, but I would point to Perkin's own livestreaming of the game, with puppets and all, for an example of the general tenor...which h matches thst of the original.

Considering the book product is due to be published in a little over a year and they've already released playtest material for it, even fan backlash might not be enough. (Unless it's really loud and/or the Spelljammer release hasn't sold well.)
They don't finalize things until six months or so before the release date, if I remember right. We probably have 8 - 9 months before that point.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases