D&D (2024) 50th Anniversary: 6E in 2024?

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
It’s no secret that I loathe multiclassing. But aside from the broken builds that come from it, I also feel that it is stymieing creative changes. Countless times I’ve seen people come up with great ideas that could potentially be implemented, only to be met with, “but, what about milticlassing implications?” And then I come away with a deflated sense of what could be…..

Between Multiclass considerations and Backwards Compatibility, they sure are handcuffed in their design possibilities.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Honestly, I would prefer to get rid of multiclassing altogether--it just doesn't suit my tastes. I'd much prefer a "classless" system where we replace all class features for all characters with feat trees or such. I'd even settle for a framework to build my own 20-level hybrid classes.
SWADE? GURPS? Any number of other generic or classless systems?

Meech17

Adventurer
I'm on the fence regarding multiclassing. I've been messing around with it in BG3 due to the ease of being able to change whenever I want for just 100G. When it comes to playing actual D&D though, I tend to stay away from it. I know you can build some really busted stuff, but I like to see the progression of the actual class over time.

I'd really like to see additional sub-classes. Like sub-sub-classes. Something to reward players who stick with a mono class into higher levels and add further variety.

yeah, but wait now for the train of comments; that is not D&D!!
I feel like this is kind of fair though. I'm all for making some changes. I'd be in favor of getting rid of stats and replacing them with just the bonus, for instance. That's an area where tradition seems to really serve no purpose.

But to remove something as core as the class system seems just as wild as changing the game from a D20 system to a D6 dice pool system. I can see the merits of a classless system, and I'd even try playing one, but changing D&D in that way I do think would make it a lot less D&D-y

I'd really like to see additional sub-classes. Like sub-sub-classes. Something to reward players who stick with a mono class into higher levels and add further variety.
Actually, it would be great if the later subclass abilities unlocked cool effects that were worth working towards. I thought that was the point of higher level abilities.

That said, it's challenging because not everyone gets to play at higher levels, and not all higher level abilities are exciting. I honestly think they should be designed to be exciting, though. Ribbon abilities are fine, but make sure each subclass level gets something juicy, even if they also get a ribbon ability that enhances theme/flavor.

Actually, it would be great if the later subclass abilities unlocked cool effects that were worth working towards. I thought that was the point of higher level abilities.

That said, it's challenging because not everyone gets to play at higher levels, and not all higher level abilities are exciting. I honestly think they should be designed to be exciting, though. Ribbon abilities are fine, but make sure each subclass level gets something juicy, even if they also get a ribbon ability that enhances theme/flavor.
The thing that I will miss most about not going through with the shared subclass progression we saw in the early playtest is the ability to swap abilities between subclasses, or create universal subclasses that any class can take.

This would have helped with fulfilling the need to "multiclass" and add something new to a character.

Faolyn

(she/her)
An even easier solution:
Multiclassing is an optional rule in 5E, and my games don't use it.
Personally, I don't mind multiclassing if it's a natural progression of how you've played the game. My current rogue is a swashbuckler and does far more fighting than lock-picking, so it was natural to multiclass into fighter. Likewise the party's cleric had a lot of in-character dealings with a being that eventually became their warlock patron.

But I dislike the idea of creating "builds" in order to get some perfect combo of abilities.

Horwath

Legend
SWADE? GURPS? Any number of other generic or classless systems?
3.5e had few aspects of a class-less system

1. Fighter: just a bunch of open feats. They were little limited in choice but the start was there
2. Wizard: same, core class spellcasting and again with bonus feats, but even more limited than fighter in choice.

if feats get more creative in 5E, fighter and all classes can lose 90% of their class abilities and be replaced by feat slots.
I.E. 5E fighter can only have core features of extra attacks at levels 5,11 and 20. The rest is just feat slots.
wizard has spellcasting and ritual casting and bonus feats at levels: 1,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,19 and 20

then you can have your cake and eat it too.

Yaarel

He Mage
Honestly, I would prefer to get rid of multiclassing altogether--it just doesn't suit my tastes. I'd much prefer a "classless" system where we replace all class features for all characters with feat trees or such. I'd even settle for a framework to build my own 20-level hybrid classes.
For D&D, the way I would do a classless system is to have a classless class.

So, Fighter, Rogue, Barbarian, Wizard, Paladin, etcetera, stay the same.

This classless class is entirely made out of feat choices. Feats include features from the other classes.

3.5e had few aspects of a class-less system

1. Fighter: just a bunch of open feats. They were little limited in choice but the start was there
2. Wizard: same, core class spellcasting and again with bonus feats, but even more limited than fighter in choice.

if feats get more creative in 5E, fighter and all classes can lose 90% of their class abilities and be replaced by feat slots.
I.E. 5E fighter can only have core features of extra attacks at levels 5,11 and 20. The rest is just feat slots.
wizard has spellcasting and ritual casting and bonus feats at levels: 1,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,19 and 20

then you can have your cake and eat it too.
It is a nightmare to balance though. You need thousands of feats. How is the relative powerlevel between combat and utility? What interactions?

Pathfinder2 solves this problem by having different kind of feats. And many rather meaningless choices.

Remove ads