D&D General 50th Anniversary WotC live panel at PAX Unplugged 2023.

Reynard

Legend
The closer we get to 2024, the more it looks like those new settings they confirmed a year or two back have become vaporware.
Unless one is the DMG setting.

The other reason one of those is a better choice than Greyhawk in the DMG is that it can be a setting built with teaching setting design in mind.

Unless one is the DMG setting.

The other reason one of those is a better choice than Greyhawk in the DMG is that it can be a setting built with teaching setting design in mind.
I mean, they have the Nentir Vale for that sorta thing. That setting would be way easier to resurrect than make something new for the DMG

Reynard

Legend
I mean, they have the Nentir Vale for that sorta thing. That setting would be way easier to resurrect than make something new for the DMG
Unless they already have them in a high degree of completion but never found a place in the schedule for them.

I don't know anything about Nentir Vale other than "points of light" but if you are promising a DMG that actually teaches how to DM, then a new setting made for 5E 2024 built specifically to show how to make a gamble setting makes more sense than any existing setting.

Unless they already have them in a high degree of completion but never found a place in the schedule for them.

I don't know anything about Nentir Vale other than "points of light" but if you are promising a DMG that actually teaches how to DM, then a new setting made for 5E 2024 built specifically to show how to make a gamble setting makes more sense than any existing setting.
That IS the Nentir Vale though. It was made specifically for the 4e DMG. No reason to make another one when you already have a DMG friendly setting

Reynard

Legend
That IS the Nentir Vale though. It was made specifically for the 4e DMG. No reason to make another one when you already have a DMG friendly setting
Except it was made 15 years ago for a different edition with a very different ruleset for a different cohort. Any argument to use it is the same as an argument to use Grethawk: some small (largely irrelevant from a marketing standpoint) subset of the existing audience wants it. Nentir Vale made sense for 4E for exactly the same reasons a new setting makes sense of the 2024 DMG.

Remove ads