D&D General 50th Anniversary WotC live panel at PAX Unplugged 2023.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Greyhawk seems like a good bet to me, too. It doesn't really matter if "the kids" haven't heard of it, they won't have heard of a New Thing either. If they shine up the old 'hawk and walk us through how to make our own setting and/or how to effectively use and expand on an old one, using the "first" as an example for either of those (or both) would be pretty spot-on.

The closer we get to 2024, the more it looks like those new settings they confirmed a year or two back have become vaporware.
Nope, no set date was placed upon them when they mentioned them in 2021:

Go to 8:32:00 in this video from 2021 concerning them. Perkins doesn't give a date, just that they're under development. And I can't find any later video/article mentioning a more precise release date. So Radiant Citadel was almost certainly one of them:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That wasn't one of them. It was said both would be coming out in 2024
They did not give a timeframe, actually.

All Winninger said was coming in 2024 was a return to a Setting that had been visited in 5E already, which from context implied Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms or Eberron. Probably thisnis about the DMG Setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess we'll see. If it were me, I would invest time and energy in something 15 year olds might actually like.
That hasn't historically worked, however: Nentir Vale was artificially created to appeal to The Kids, and...didn't work out. Even though it was good.

The most successful Setting shave been those grounded in actual play: Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Mystara (the Kent Atste shared campaign of the 1970's), and Exandria.

Any of those 4 Settings would fit the bill of being vanilla high fantasy (which I can assure you ad a parent is still in with the kids these days), but Greyhawk has the advantage of being easy to fit in a DMG chapter.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope, no set date was placed upon them when they mentioned them in 2021:

Go to 8:32:00 in this video from 2021 concerning them. Perkins doesn't give a date, just that they're under development. And I can't find any later video/article mentioning a more precise release date. So Radiant Citadel was almost certainly one of them:

I suspect that they are slowly brewing a Witchlight inspired Fey "Anti-Ravenloft" with Domains of Delight, that may yet come to pass.

Remove ads