D&D General 50th Anniversary WotC live panel at PAX Unplugged 2023.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You magnificent person! Thank you again!
I didn't get that degree in Informstion Science for nothing!

"turns out that the top tier settings in terms of popularity are Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms, followed by Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer"

Specifically, the first five were the top tier, those other three were a middle tier, and everything else didn't get much traction.

Since then, we have gotten at least something for all those top 8 except Dark Sun.

Perkins numbers suggests a disconnect between WotC market reseaabkut what people were playing, and what they would say is their favorite on surveys.

So, as for the new MM, they state they will have "over 500" monsters in the book - I'm assuming that's stat blocks. The 2014 MM has, according to my quick count, 445 stat blocks. So the questions are, how much is "over 500" going to be (I'd assume its going to be at most, no more than the upper 530s, or they would say "nearly 550" at that point), and what sort of monsters are we going to see? Are they going to pilfer from other monster books? Or maybe from adventures (the ixitxachitl appears in OotA, but hasn't graduated to an actual monster book, for example)? How many are going to be high CR, and how many are going to be lower-level variants? They did say we'll be seeing more NPCs - are these all generic NPCs or will there be named high-level NPCs that can be used generically if you want? What about the remaining named high-level monsters like the Archdevils and the remaining Demon Princes - will they get in?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, as for the new MM, they state they will have "over 500" monsters in the book - I'm assuming that's stat blocks. The 2014 MM has, according to my quick count, 445 stat blocks. So the questions are, how much is "over 500" going to be (I'd assume its going to be at most, no more than the upper 530s, or they would say "nearly 550" at that point), and what sort of monsters are we going to see? Are they going to pilfer from other monster books? Or maybe from adventures (the ixitxachitl appears in OotA, but hasn't graduated to an actual monster book, for example)? How many are going to be high CR, and how many are going to be lower-level variants? They did say we'll be seeing more NPCs - are these all generic NPCs or will there be named high-level NPCs that can be used generically if you want? What about the remaining named high-level monsters like the Archdevils and the remaining Demon Princes - will they get in?
They've previously said 200+ new stat blocks, in addition to all those from 2014 being revised.

darjr

I crit!
Here's a wider view of the room.

1701505978820.png

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 2.33.13 AM.png

They've previously said 200+ new stat blocks, in addition to all those from 2014 being revised.
OK, then by "monsters" they don't mean stat blocks, but actual monster entries (which may include multiple stat blocks), as there's like 350 or so of those in the current MM, and adding 200 or so more would put us in the 500s. Welp, that's going to be a lot of stat blocks in the end, which is of course a very good thing!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, then by "monsters" they don't mean stat blocks, but actual monster entries (which may include multiple stat blocks), as there's like 350 or so of those in the current MM, and adding 200 or so more would put us in the 500s. Welp, that's going to be a lot of stat blocks in the end, which is of course a very good thing!
It's gonna be big, at ant rate.

Remove ads