D&D 5E 5E and the "Competition?"

pauljathome

First Post
Will some D&D 5E suggestions be seen as not good for D&D 5E but wind up being picked up by other RPGs going forward? Thoughts?

I think that the biggest problem with that happening is the sheer volume of rule suggestions. I doubt that any of the competition really has the time to sift through them looking for the gold in all the, uh, non gold :).

If (and its a big if) some suggestions start to acquire some kind of critical mass then its possible that some company would adopt them. Hopefully under the OGL so others can then ALSO use them :).

mkill

Adventurer
Popcultural osmosis among RPGs? Inconceivable.

I only play purely platonic systems that are written by monks in a hut on a mountain in the Himalayas, isolated from other RPGs, TV, cinema, newspapers, books, action figures, trading cards, video games, and, most importantly, MMOs.

All they get to read is the sanctified canon of Appendix N. Only this way the purity of the game can be preserved.

Hussar

Legend
I'm starting to see an interesting turn in the evolution of all this discussion on D&D 5E that has me wondering something. The thing I noticed was a number of folks, on message boards and Facebook, including a little addendum in their suggestions for their design ideas, in that they might write something along the lines of 'I hope WotC includes (blank) in their new rules or that it at least makes it into the revision of Pathfinder' or 'I hope 5E or PF starts allowing (blank) in the next edition.' Now these aren't exact quotes but I am noticing similar posts and it makes me wonder if one of the unintended results of the D&D 5E open discussion and playtest is going to manifest in better RPGs throughout the community. Will some suggestions for D&D 5E be so well received that a lot of RPGs might adopt them? Will some D&D 5E suggestions be seen as not good for D&D 5E but wind up being picked up by other RPGs going forward? Thoughts?

Oh, I'm sure it will. So many DNDism's percolated into other RPG's - sometimes simply as a reaction against the D&Dism. Considering how few actual professional RPG designers there are, and most of them know each other, at least in passing, it would be pretty hard not to have ideas percolate back and forth.

Remove ads