D&D 5E 5e "Anyspell," Would You Allow the Enclosed Spell?

Inanity

Explorer
That's simply not "open-ended".

That's narrow and extremely precise. "when a creature ends its turn within 5 feet of you". That's a very specific situation.

This is strong evidence against your approach. As @Fanaelialae says, even making it a free action would be better than this completely rule-wrong (not something I say easily - but you are getting the rules wrong, not merely taking a different approach) deal where you are acting like this is 3E and you can "charge" a reaction for something. You cannot. I'm pretty sure you know this at this point.

Oh yeah I meant if we generalize the condition we get something like "When a creature ends its turn within X ft" and that is farily open ended and I more o meant that these kind of conditions more general than "creatur e cast a spell" also and maybe more importantly you yourself would satisfy that condition at the end of every turn (thus potentially triggering some reaction at end f your own turn with this mechanic... but yeah its neither here nor there many ways to change it if I want (just wanted to show that because I thaought it was a curious trigger conditon).

EDIT: at this point I was going to resign altogethr the reaction bit until I saw that there is official precedence for a trigger you can trigger yourself (which undoubtably there is; "when a creature ends it turn within 5ft" is just that trigger))... i was rather surprised really...

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
Oh yeah I meant if we generalize the condition we get something like "When a creature ends its turn within X ft" and that is farily open ended and I more o meant that these kind of conditions more general than "creatur e cast a spell" also and maybe more importantly you yourself would satisfy that condition at the end of every turn (thus potentially triggering some reaction at end f your own turn with this mechanic... but yeah its neither here nor there many ways to change it if I want (just wanted to show that because I thaought it was a curious trigger conditon).

EDIT: at this point I was going to resign altogethr the reaction bit until I saw that there is official precedence for a trigger you can trigger yourself (which undoubtably there is; "when a creature ends it turn within 5ft" is just that trigger))... i was rather surprised really...
I disagree. You do not count as a creature for purposes of that ability. You cannot trigger that reaction yourself. Another creature needs to end its turn within 5 feet of you.

Inanity

Explorer
I disagree. You do not count as a creature for purposes of that ability. You cannot trigger that reaction yourself. Another creature needs to end its turn within 5 feet of you.

Why? That would be a houserule I mean the ability plainly states what it does and you can trigger it as RAW (unless I am not seeing something your seeing; I quoted the ability verbatim).

EDIT: A PC both (i) counts as a creature and (ii) is within 5ft of itself. So, I mean it would be reading into the spell to assume you CANT use it at the end of your own turn.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Why? That would be a houserule I mean the ability plainly states what it does and you can trigger it as RAW (unless I am not seeing something your seeing; I quoted the ability verbatim).

EDIT: A PC both (i) counts as a creature and (ii) is within 5ft of itself. So, I mean it would be reading into the spell to assume you CANT use it at the end of your own turn.
I think it is fair to say you found a glitch in the rules; I agree that there is a reasonable argument that, as written, it triggers at the end of your own turn. However, I am 100% confident that was not the designer's intention and, and I'm really pretty sure that most people would not take that to be the intent. So if you are the DM and want to play it that way, make sure to tell your players, I'm sure they will be happy (if a little nonplussed). If you are a player you better ask the DM before assuming they would run it that way.

At this point I can see you are committed to entirely pointlessly using the rules wrong (it would be easier and make more sense to use them right), so I honestly give up. You cannot react to yourself in that way.

Just make Anyspell an action to cast. Change how it works so it allows you to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action or 1 bonus action as a reaction on your turn. That is much closer to how reactions actually work.

Remove ads