D&D 5E 5e "Anyspell," Would You Allow the Enclosed Spell?

Inanity

Explorer
Would you allow this spell into your game? Any helpful suggestions welcome!
Anyspell
2nd Level Spell [see below]
  • Casting Time: 1 reaction [but see below]
  • Range: Self [but see below]
  • Components: V S
  • Duration: Instantaneous [but see below]
  • Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
  • You can cast any level 1 spell or any Cantrip on your class(es) spell list(s) without expending a spell slot. If the chosen spell is not a cantrip then the spell is cast as if you expended a 2nd level spell slot (so its cast as 2nd level spell) . You must meet all of the requirements for casting that spell (including verbal, somatic and material components, and action cost; after casting this just cast the other spell as normal is the idea).
  • At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can cast a spell that is one level higher for each slot above 2nd and the spell cast is treated as if cast as a spell one level hgiher for each slot.

If one wants to temper its power then require a feat to learn the spell, maybe.

Clarifications: Given how I wrote it you couldnt really cast a spell of 1 reaction using this spell (should that be change? Should we change the duration to 1 or more rounds and have it be able to trigger later?)... you could cast it on someones turn but it would do nothing unless you somehow could cast a spell using no action. and if you cast it on your turn then you have alredy expended the reaction... EDIT: how I wrote it you COULD cast a spell with a casting time of 1 minute or whatever.

The big problem is I imagine: It makes Sorcerers/bards/warlocks to powerful. I dont know, any feedback?

EDIT: another question: should it even have a separate action cost?

Last edited:

Inanity

Explorer
What problem in your game are you trying to fix? If it's the existence of spell lists and the need for players to select, then you're swimming against a pretty powerful current.

I would not allow this in my game.

No problem, really. But this is a spell that would exists IMO; and also itfills that storytelling void of those fantastical tales of people that can seemingly do anything at all with a thought.. And also, I like the idea of a more flexible magic system and this is a straightforward way to acheive that in 5e without adding ultra different mechanics (some have tried wih power words, etc. and it seemed clunky to me). But yeah I totally understand your hesitation (this would be in a very high magic campaign as an FYI)

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Make sure I'm reading this right:

As a reaction, cast any spell of 1st level or lower.

If I'm reading this right, if I use a 9th level slot, I can cast an 8th level spell as a reaction. And, if I'm a wizard, the spell only needs to be on my list, not my spellbook?

Sorry, no way this would work fairly and you're right to say it'd make arcane casters too powerful. Even as a Feat, it's insanely powerful. If you gave this power bump to the arcane casters, you'd denigrate other classes. It'd get abusive very quickly.

I'm guessing you want to give casters more options to cast each round. Beyond all the other balance issues and interplay of sorcerer metamagic, consider the drag-time on your combat play as, every single turn of every monster and other player, the arcane caster needs you to pause, flipping through their spell list deciding what might be optimal to cast as a reaction that turn.

Inanity

Explorer

If I'm reading this right, if I use a 9th level slot, I can cast an 8th level spell as a reaction. And, if I'm a wizard, the spell only needs to be on my list, not my spellbook?

Sorry, no way this would work fairly and you're right to say it'd make arcane casters too powerful. Even as a Feat, it's insanely powerful. If you gave this power bump to the arcane casters, you'd denigrate other classes. It'd get abusive very quickly.

I'm guessing you want to give casters more options to cast each round. Beyond all the other balance issues and interplay of sorcerer metamagic, consider the drag-time on your combat play as, every single turn of every monster and other player, the arcane caster needs you to pause, flipping through their spell list deciding what might be optimal to cast as a reaction that turn.

You arent exactly reading it right. You USE a reaction to cast ANYSPELL and then CHOOSE ANY spell on your list an CAST IT without spending a slot or needing to know the spel; but you still must expend the action cost of the spell... But yes if you use a 9th level spell slot you can cat any 8th level spell (Wish is its inspiration; and limited wish and anyspell of 3.5e).EDIT to clarify: if you use this spell to cast magic missile you would need to spend an action and a reaction on the same turn.

Inanity

Explorer

As an FYI Wish already allows casting a, say, 10 min csting time spell, as an action.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The reaction mechanic doesn't really work here. You can only take a reaction when something triggers it, which you don't have here.

I see what you are going for, but I think it would be better to say "Casting time: varies", and then specify that the casting time is the same as the spell you are duplicating.

As to the overall concept, I think it is too good. Would any character not want to have this spell prepared, just in case? Also it will slow down the game a lot because casters would constantly have to check through their whole list to see if there's a good spell for the situation at hand.

They had a version of anyspell in 2e... I didn't immediately find the text but you can see an explanation here: Anyspell

Inanity

Explorer
The reaction mechanic doesn't really work here. You can only take a reaction when something triggers it, which you don't have here.

I see what you are going for, but I think it would be better to say "Casting time: varies", and then specify that the casting time is the same as the spell you are duplicating.

As to the overall concept, I think it is too good. Would any character not want to have this spell prepared, just in case? Also it will slow down the game a lot because casters would constantly have to check through their whole list to see if there's a good spell for the situation at hand.

I wanted to go with casting time varies but thought that actually specifying the action cost was more consistent with how other 5e spells were written; I think it actually works smoother with 5e rules; a TRIGGER: well you think about it or mutter something (that could be the verbal component)... Imagine you THINK an enemy attacks and cast shield (well a DM would allow it lets sy an illusion attacks) THERE WAS NO ACTUAL ATTACK SO NO TRIGGER for the shield. But a perceived threat (I say here, and what follows may not be RAW but RAI), erely to estblish that mental triggers makes sense)... Anyway, its a free action to speak or one can use their object action to trigger it (INTENTIONALL)Y)... not that crazy, all it would take is adding some clasue about speaking some words or thinking a thought. but your point is taken

Inanity

Explorer

They had a version of anyspell in 2e... I didn't immediately find the text but you can see an explanation here: Anyspell
I think everycaster WOULD GET IT... you have mastered magic to such an extent that once you reach the ability to cast 2nd level spells 1st level spells come easy...

Remove ads