D&D 5E Cartomancer Feat

darjr

I crit!
Wait, no, "cast a spell" is pretty clear. When you flourish the card is when you "cast a spell".

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 5.34.24 PM.png

The only difference is now it's a bonus action.

MarkB

Legend
Even better: It cannot be used by Warlocks, because Warlocks do not have the "Spellcasting" feature. They have the "Pact Magic" feature.
And even if it could, they would only be able to choose spells of a specific level - i.e. a 5th-level warlock could not choose to imbue a 1st or 2nd level spell, as they only have 3rd-level spell slots.

MarkB

Legend
This is true. Would it be better if it counted as a free use of Quicken Spell and Subtle Spell?
How often are you going to need to both Quicken and Subtle the same spell, and know which one you want to do it to that morning?

On the other hand, even if you're expending a spell slot for this, there is the benefit of being able to choose a spell you don't actually know, and in the case of multiclass characters might not be high enough level in that class to gain access to.

darjr

I crit!
Better to take Metamagic Adept in that case, then at least you don't have to nominate your quickened spell in advance.
Yea, probably. But you don't get the cards as a focus, which isn't a big deal I suppose, nor do you get the cantrip, which also isn't a big deal, mabye.

Personally my next game isn't going to have feats.

Ferrousbones

Artificer
This feature states (emphasis mine): "While the card is imbued with the spell, you can use a bonus action to flourish the card and cast the spell within. The card then immediately loses its magic." The bolded text would mean the card was a magic item while the spell is within. Also, text like the bold above is present in magic items that have non-renewing charges.
Additionally, the imbuing of a spell directly from a spell-list is very similar to the Artificer's Spell Storing Item. So there is precedent for a feature to make a magic spellcasting item.

Further, there are magic items (like the Master's Amulet from the Monster Manual) that have no listed type or rarity. So we cannot determine if the card is a magic item based on the lack of either.

Last, many magic spellcasting items say you (the wielder) cast the spell(s) within. So that language itself doesn't mean spellslots are used.

Taken altogether, this would mean the feature's card should be adjudicated using the spellcasting item rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide (page 141) (emphasis mine):
Some magic items allow the user to cast a spell from the item, often by expending charges from it. The spell is cast at the lowest possible spell and caster level, doesn't expend any of the user's spell slots, and requires no components unless the item's description says otherwise. The spell uses its normal casting time, range, and duration, and the user of the item must concentrate if the spell requires concentration. Certain items make exceptions to these rules, changing the casting time, duration, or other parts of a spell.
In this case, the card has 1 non-renewing charge.

This feat does not say a spell slot is used to imbue the spell, nor when casting, so no spell slot would be spent.

All that being said.

The concerns raised in this thread are valid, due to the extremely poor wording of this feat, so it definitely needs to be run with homebrew restriction until/unless it gets a logical errata.

Kurotowa

Legend
On the other hand, even if you're expending a spell slot for this, there is the benefit of being able to choose a spell you don't actually know, and in the case of multiclass characters might not be high enough level in that class to gain access to.
Ignoring multiclass tomfoolery, being able to prepare one of any spell on your class spell list seems like the real meat to me. Especially if you're a Known Spells class and not a Wizard. I can see a Warlock or Sorcerer finding a great deal of utility from being able to flex one of their spell slots every day to a spell they don't normally have access to. Maybe Sorcerer a little more, since Warlocks would cap out at 5th level spells. But that raises a question...

You have a Warlock with Cartomancer. First thing in the morning, they imbue a spell into a card, costing (by the popular reading) one spell slot. Does that spell slot remain committed until the card is activated, or do they get it back when they Short Rest over breakfast? Because if they get it right back, having an extra spell up their sleave could be very useful for the spell slot limited Warlock.

Remove ads