D&D 5E Cartomancer Feat

It seems to let you "Prepare" any one spell on your spell list and put it on a card. So a Wizard could prepare his usual spells, then pick another spell he has not prepared and put it on the card. Alternatively, a Warlock or Sorcerer could pick any spell from their list even if it is not one of their Spells Known, which is pretty huge.

The free Quicken is gravy.

Kurotowa

Legend
Anyone wno sleeps at night also can't use it past late afternoon. It says "When you finish a long rest", not the more common "you must finish a long rest before you can do this again". So you wake up, pick a card, and its only good for 8 hours.
This isn't new wording, and is common for casters as a "You must select this at the start of the day" mechanic. In the Wizard entry for preparing spells it says, "You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest." For Artificers, in the Spell-Storing Item feature it says "Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one simple or martial weapon or one item that you can use as a spellcasting focus, and you store a spell in it". The rules for Clerics and spell preparation say, "You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest."

Nothing new to see here. This is well established in 5e.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
This isn't new wording, and is common for casters as a "You must select this at the start of the day" mechanic. In the Wizard entry for preparing spells it says, "You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest." For Artificers, in the Spell-Storing Item feature it says "Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one simple or martial weapon or one item that you can use as a spellcasting focus, and you store a spell in it". The rules for Clerics and spell preparation say, "You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest."

Nothing new to see here. This is well established in 5e.
The difference here is that you must use the spell within 8 hours. Normally, stuff like that lasts until the next long rest (or longer, in the case of Artificers).

darjr

I crit!
So a spell jem lets you cast the spell imbued in it. Does that cost a spell slot? I don't think so. but to imbue it you must.

So I think it's fair to use the slot on casting the spell from the card.

darjr

I crit!
So for me, to sum up.

You can imbue the card with a spell from your list, you don't need to know the spell nor have it prepared.

You can then cast the spell like normal except it only takes a bonus action. Using a spell slot and components.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So for me, to sum up.

You can imbue the card with a spell from your list, you don't need to know the spell nor have it prepared.

You can then cast the spell like normal except it only takes a bonus action. Using a spell slot and components.
So, impressively, even though it doesn't give you a bonus spell slot of whatever level you desire, it is still horribly broken, because it literally lets a Wizard pick any spell on the Wizard list once a day, whether they know it or not.

Thank goodness for the simplicity and clarity of natural language!

Remove ads