• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5e basic house rules

I prefer not to get too bogged down in house-rules, largely because they tend to spawn too many debates at the game table rather than just playing. However, I did find some of the rulings about Race abilities a bit jarring.

I appreciated that there was an option given for Humans to avoid having a universal +1 to all Abilities, but I’d scrap the idea outright. +1 to a couple of Stats, plus extra skill proficiencies (and maybe Feats if they are introduced) is good enough for me - though I’d try to link these bonuses to cultural groups if I could.

Similarly, I’d make a house rule that the diminutive Races (Halflings and Gnomes) of a cap on Strength. Basically, rather than giving penalties to Ability score, I’d just insist they use a dump stat on Strength (max=10). Some may feel this inhibits their choice, but I ask why play a 3’ tall Halfling if you want a high Strength score?

Beyond that, I’ve yet to see the full rules beyond Basic, but generally I’d just leave as is.

Remove ads