• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Bastard Sword

Scrm0

First Post
Hey! I really miss bastard sword from DnD5e, so i diceded to make one. Here's my idea: dmg: d8 slashing 2H or 1HSpecial: If you have the two weapon fightnig feat, and make an attack with this weapon, you can decide to make an additional attack to swap this weapon to one hand. The attack deals d8 damage. While you wield the bastard sword in two hands its uses your STR modifier, but in one hand it's uses your DEX bonus. If you have the fightning style feat, you can choose the great weapon fightning or the duelist, but the effect depends if you wield the weapon in one or two hand. If you have more than one attak you have to decide how to use your weapon, the decision applies all of your normal attacks.

Klaus

First Post
Hey! I really miss bastard sword from DnD5e, so i diceded to make one. Here's my idea: dmg: d8 slashing 2H or 1HSpecial: If you have the two weapon fightnig feat, and make an attack with this weapon, you can decide to make an additional attack to swap this weapon to one hand. The attack deals d8 damage. While you wield the bastard sword in two hands its uses your STR modifier, but in one hand it's uses your DEX bonus. If you have the fightning style feat, you can choose the great weapon fightning or the duelist, but the effect depends if you wield the weapon in one or two hand. If you have more than one attak you have to decide how to use your weapon, the decision applies all of your normal attacks.

The bastard sword is the current longsword: 1d8 one-handed, 1d10 two-handed.

Scrm0

First Post
no point...the great sword's dmg is d12. Any other 2H weapon with d10 dmg has a special quality, reach for example. My idea is to make the bastard sword "worth to use"
Or another variant: even if you use in 2H you use the duelist fightning syle (dmg d10 in 2H only)
My first idea is a katana styled sword thats why i want to apply DEX bonus on it

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
no point...the great sword's dmg is d12. Any other 2H weapon with d10 dmg has a special quality, reach for example. My idea is to make the bastard sword "worth to use"
Or another variant: even if you use in 2H you use the duelist fightning syle (dmg d10 in 2H only)
My first idea is a katana styled sword thats why i want to apply DEX bonus on it

The point is the versatility: you can alternate between one-handed Dueling, sword-and-shield and two-handed Greatweapon without switching weapons.

The Human Target

Adventurer
The point is the versatility: you can alternate between one-handed Dueling, sword-and-shield and two-handed Greatweapon without switching weapons.

Does anyone really do that?

And isn't it pretty easy to switch from a longsword with shield to a great sword? How many actions is that, I'm not sure.

Mercule

Adventurer
Looking at my 1E PHB, the bastard sword was originally just a long sword that was better against size L critters, needed more space, and was slower. It wasn't that great, other than for dragon-slaying sword-and-board fighters.

I agree that the 5E long sword handles the bastard sword archetype well enough. Just describe it as bigger than average and make a point of occasionally wielding it two-handed.

I allow the dueling style bonus damage for any versatile weapon used with either one or two hands. As long as the character is fighting with a single weapon I see no reason to limit the bonus to one hand. Seems kind of silly to give a bonus to damage from using a bastard sword one handed but as soon as you put a second hand on it your damage bonus goes away.

As far as DEX use goes, in my campaign, one property I gave to mithril weapons was that any sword made of mithril can be treated as a finesse weapon.

Scrm0

First Post
Yeah...thats my problem. vesatility is pretty good, but its definetly doesn't worth it. from longsword and shield to great sword, uses up your entire turn( put down sword, unbuckle shield, pick up sword). Our rule is if you are moving, you can swap weapon, or draw one, but if you don't move, its uses the half of your movement, but unbuckle a shield is a whole action (interact object) i'm sure. It is better if you drop all item from your hands, and draw a great sword....thats why it doesn't worth

Scrm0

First Post
I allow the dueling style bonus damage for any versatile weapon used with either one or two hands. As long as the character is fighting with a single weapon I see no reason to limit the bonus to one hand. Seems kind of silly to give a bonus to damage from using a bastard sword one handed but as soon as you put a second hand on it your damage bonus goes away.

As far as DEX use goes, in my campaign, one property I gave to mithril weapons was that any sword made of mithril can be treated as a finesse weapon.

That's sounds good...

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Looking at my 1E PHB, the bastard sword was originally just a long sword that was better against size L critters, needed more space, and was slower. It wasn't that great, other than for dragon-slaying sword-and-board fighters.

I kind of like that bit. The fighter emerges from the orcs' caves into a tremendous cavern heaped high with gold coins. Atop the coins lies a red dragon, eddies of noxious vapor rising from its mouth. "Looks like I'll need the big sword for this one," he says.

Last edited:

Remove ads