5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
Let's see, if he makes three Multiwhacks with its Staff for 2d6+7 plus 2d8 cold (23 times 3 is 69) plus a Bonus Action Mockery for 4d6 (14) and a Legendary Action Cast a Spell, say cone of cold for 8d6 (28) that's… 111 DPR.

Dammit, I forgot to allow for cone of cold being an AoE which budgets it at 56 not 28.

Just as well we've dropped the Cast a Spell Legendary Action as that makes the DPR 139 for Challenge 22.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok, added suggestion and lightning bolt as at will spells. (I think suggestion suits him)

and

Cause Fear. As a bonus action, Adonides can point his finger at a creature (excluding constructs and undead) he can see within 60 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 22 Wisdom save or become frightened of Adonides for one minute. The frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Cleon

Legend
Cause Fear. As a bonus action, Adonides can point his finger at a creature (excluding constructs and undead) he can see within 60 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 22 Wisdom save or become frightened of Adonides for one minute. The frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

I was thinking we could go the Mummy route and make it an Action or Multiattack, i.e.:

Actions
Multiattack. Adonides can use his Finger of Terror and makes three attacks with his twisted staff.​
Finger of Terror. Adonides points his index finger at a creature he can see within 60 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 22 Wisdom save or become frightened for one minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.​

If we made "cause fear" a bonus action then Adonides would not be able to double tap Vicious Mockery that round, which will seriously drop his DPR.

Cleon

Legend
ok, added suggestion and lightning bolt as at will spells. (I think suggestion suits him)

Let's see, the original has:

once per round: pyrotechnics, produce flame, ice storm, wall of ice, cone of cold (1d4 + 16 damage), lightning bolt (4d6), detect lie, know alignment, dispel magic, teleport, and (fulfill another’s limited) wish. Once per day Adonides can heal himself (or another, by touch), and once per day he can use a symbol of stunning.​

That doesn't include suggestion so I don't know were you're getting that. It's mostly fire and ice attack spells plus zombie making, dispel magic and a few utilities.

Cleon

Legend
Once per day Adonides can heal himself (or another, by touch)

I wouldn't mind keeping the touch range of the Innate Spellcasting heal. I'd also consider making is a supernatural Action or special trait that's 1/day, or more likely Recharge After Long Rest.

How about we make it a Legendary Action option to cast or otherwise use his heal ability?

Imagine the look on the players' faces when they do 70 damage to Adonides or one of his devils and he immediately heals the wounds!

Cleon

Legend
Hutijin
 At will: alter self (can become Medium when changing his appearance), animate dead, detect magic, hold monster, invisibility (self only), lightning bolt, suggestion, wall of fire
 3/day: dispel magic
 1/day each: heal, symbol (hopelessness only)

Titivilus
 At will: alter self, animate dead, bestow curse, confusion, major image, modify memory, nondetection, sending, suggestion
 3/day: greater invisibility (self only), mislead
 1/day: feeblemind, symbol (discord or sleep only)

Okay, considering the above and the SLAs the 1E versions had, how's this for a start:

Adonides
Adonides's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma {spell save DC 22). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components​
 At will: animate dead, cone of cold, detect magic, ice storm, lightning bolt (5th level spell slot for 10d6 lightning damage)[?], pyrotechnics (4d8 damage), wall of ice
 3/day: dispel magic [maybe move 5th-slot lightning bolt or 8th-slot ice storm here?]​
 1/day each: heal (self or by touch only), ice storm (8th level spell slot for 6d8 bludgeoning damage plus 4d6 cold damage)[?], symbol (stunning only)​

I considered tweaking up the slot of the at-will ice storm probably by a spell slot or two to 3d8 or 4d8 bludgeoning plus 4d6 cold and not having a 1/day superstorm, but preferred Adonides having a augmented "storm of rage" option.

Indeed, I'm leaning towards making the 8th-slot ice storm a 3/day option rather than 1/day since cold damage might not be effective. Most opponents who expect to face him will take precautions against frostbite, so it may mainly be the bludgeoning that contributes to his DPR.

EDIT: After running the numbers it looks like the 8th-slot ice storm is only withing CR 21 budget if it's 1/day, so forget the "make it 3/day" idea. Am now leaning towards moving the 5th-slot lightning bolt to 3/day and not giving Adonides at-will electricity. :ENDEDIT

The original had detect lie and know alignment so I'm wondering if we could interpret that as a Special Trait. Like, Adonides can see if someone's lying, good or evil if they're within 60 feet, maybe with a Charisma saving throw to temporarily thwart the ability?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
The original Adonides had a +1 magic weapon, but 5E Archdevils and Demon Princes don't seem to bother with such trifles.

Still, I'd consider making the Twisted Staff a +1 weapon for +15 to hit and 2d6+8 force damage plus 2d8 cold damage.

That's still within budget for Challenge 21.

EDIT: The original description is it's a "twisted, spiked staff" which makes me wonder if it can do piercing damage?

If you are game for the +1 magic weapon udea, it'll need a note to that effect.

Also in AD&D and 3E adventurers could use weapons they've obtained from fiends by force, theft or foul pacts, but I'm thinking this isn't an option in 5E. Just as well: having PCs get their mitts on powerful magic weapons usually plays havoc with a campaign. :ENDEDIT

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
EDIT: After running the numbers it looks like the 8th-slot ice storm is only withing CR 21 budget if it's 1/day, so forget the "make it 3/day" idea. Am now leaning towards moving the 5th-slot lightning bolt to 3/day and not giving Adonides at-will electricity. :ENDEDIT

So the above'd be:

Innate Spellcasting. Adonides's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma {spell save DC 22). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components​
 At will: animate dead, cone of cold, detect magic, ice storm, pyrotechnics (4d8 damage), wall of ice
 3/day each: dispel magic, lightning bolt (5th level spell slot for 10d6 lightning damage)​
 1/day each: heal (self or by touch only), ice storm (8th level spell slot for 6d8 bludgeoning damage plus 4d6 cold damage), symbol (stunning only)​

That looks pretty decent to me.

Last edited:

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok adopted spells as above. Warming to idea of staff being +1 weapon. Can convert cold to piercing damage. I'd be game to drop a note that adventurers could use the staff, much like wand of orcus is an artifact and some others

Remove ads