5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
ok adopted spells as above.

Updating Adonides.

Noticed it had a "3/day" that should be "3/day each" which has been fixed.

What do you think of my Finger of Terror proposal.

All fear the finger!

Warming to idea of staff being +1 weapon. Can convert cold to piercing damage. I'd be game to drop a note that adventurers could use the staff, much like wand of orcus is an artifact and some others

So maybe 2d6+8 force plus 1d8 bludgeoning and 1d8 piercing? That's the same DPR.

We could add a Variant Rule for how the staff operates in someone else's hands.

Cleon

Legend
Let's see what else. We've agreed on 6d6 damage for the Vicious Mockery so I need to add that to the Enworld version.

Adonides can also mock as a 2-cost Legendary Action, so we need a name for that.

Hmm… perhaps:

Fiendish Invective. Adonides uses Vicious Mockery.​

Thought about calling it a Profanity, Curse or Blasphemy instead, but that didn't allow for the possibility of Adonides being polite while infernally mocking the target.

I think he could do with at least one more Legendary Action.

The original Adonides had a lightning bolt that did half damage (4d6) and could produce flame so maybe give him a cold/fire/lightning area attack as a Legendary Action?

We just need to budget it so the DPR is the same as if he uses Vicious Mockery. Which suggests a 2 Cost Action that does 2d8 or 3d6 damage. Maybe he can pick what types of damage each dice of the the attack does? So bludgeoning, cold, fire or lightning in any combination (i.e. 1d8 bludgeoning plus 1d8 fire, 1d8 cold plus 1d8 lightning or 2d8 fire would be valid options if we went the two dice route, or 1d6 lightning and 2d6 fire et cetera for the three dice route).

We could call it, I don't know, Hellfire Blizzard or the like.

Oh, and how about giving him the Detect Legendary Action like an epic Dragon?

Detect. Adonides makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.​

His flavour text suggests he's paranoid and always on the look out for threats, so it feels thematically appropriate.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
We could call it, I don't know, Hellfire Blizzard or the like.

Upon reflection Hellfire Blizzard implies it always includes heat (or maybe infernal lightning), so maybe Hellburst would be better?

EDIT: Or perhaps Winds of Caim after the plane Adonides is a resident of?

Cleon

Legend
agreed - Hellfire blizzard (also Mephisto researches Hellfire).

How's this:

Hellfire Blizzard. Adonides hurls a gout of infernal energy to a point within 150 feet which explodes. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw. The explosion causes 5 (1d10) bludgeoning, cold, fire or lightning damage plus 5 (1d10) bludgeoning, cold, fire or lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Adonides chooses two damage types for the Hellfire Blizzard when he hurls it (i.e. 1d10 cold plus 1d10 lightning), but may not choose the same type twice (i.e. it cannot be 2d10 bludgeoning).​

Upon reflection, using d10s instead of d8s gives an average of 11 or the equivalent of 22 damage single target attack, only a point higher than the 21 average of Vicious Mockery.

also detect legedary action is good too

Will add that in the next Update.

Cleon

Legend
yes - good - I like it

Updating Adonides.

Let's see… added Detect, Hellfire Blizzard, Fiendish Invective and Vicious Mockery. I think that's everything we…

Hold on a second, I've just realized a problem.

You've got Adonides casting the vicious mockery cantrip as a bonus action, but we've increased the damage to 6d6 which is more than the cantrip can do.

I propose changing the name and explicating the mechanics, like so:

Devilish Mockery. Adonides speaks to a target within 60 feet. If the target can hear Adonides, it must succeed on a DC 22 Wisdom saving throw or take 21 (6d6) psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.​

That'd fix the problem.

Remove ads