5E: Converting AD&D Monsters to Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
But I assume that 5E abilities probably more than make up for this?
EDIT: Grammar correction.

5E Devils tend to be a lot simpler mechanically than their AD&D versions.

Power wise it's hard to tell since the game mechanics are rather different, but the nastier 1E monsters tends to be a worse proposition than their 5E incarnations if only because AD&D monsters tend to have more unpleasant special abilities (as in save-or-die and save-or-have-a-life-made-of-suck-that-usually-ends-quickly attacks).

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Eh? He's Exceptionally Intelligence in 1E, which is the commonest Intelligence for the diabolic nobility in Mr Greenwood's Nine Hells articles and is hardly a cretin.

Just did a quick search of The Nine Hells articles and the count was 40 Exceptionals, 19 Geniuses, 4 Supra-Geniuses and one High Intelligence score (Malarea the Greater Devil) among the devils.

Pray excuse the misnomer. As I have now found out (wikipedia), I have used the word 'cretin' without knowing what it actually means.

Oh well, never too old to learn.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Now I'm wondering what you though "cretin" meant.
Thought as much. I have always thought it to mean something like a 'nasty, villainous creature'. Sort of made sense until yesterday.

Unfortunately, I may actually have used it in several of my attempts to write texts in English, which will now require checking.

Just to be on the safe side: I would like it to be known throughout the Infernal Realm that I have never run the great and esteemed Adonides, Steward of the Realm, nor any of his no less worthy underlings, nor, indeed, any other Infernal Denizen, as a cretin in the newly found sense of the word.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Thought as much. I have always thought it to mean something like a 'nasty, villainous creature'. Sort of made sense until yesterday.

So some kind of reprobate or blaggard rather than an idiot? The similarity to "crook" or "criminal" could have thrown you off, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I may actually have used it in several of my attempts to write texts in English, which will now require checking.

Oops. I've done a few similar things in my time. It's a pain trying to remember where all the typos are. At least with computers we have Find-and-Replace to help find them now!

ilgatto

How inconvenient
So some kind of reprobate or blaggard rather than an idiot?

Absolutely nothing to do with idiot. Blaggard isn't really it either because it sort of implies a link to the criminal (wiktionary). Perhaps something like 'unpleasant' would cover it best.

The similarity to "crook" or "criminal" could have thrown you off, I suppose.

Nah. I probably first read/heard it used as an insult in some book or TV show distinguished by its eloquence and verbiage (Cugel? Monty Python?) and then decided it meant something like 'unpleasant creature'.

Anyway. Off to do some Control-H-ing.

Cleon

Legend
Absolutely nothing to do with idiot. Blaggard isn't really it either because it sort of implies a link to the criminal (wiktionary). Perhaps something like 'unpleasant' would cover it best.

I tend to think of blaggard as being an immoral and treacherous person. It's long amused me that it's how "blackguard" is often pronounced. Not criminal per se, but a low-mannered bounder that a proper gentleperson would not want to associate themselves with.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
I tend to think of blaggard as being an immoral and treacherous person. It's long amused me that it's how "blackguard" is often pronounced. Not criminal per se, but a low-mannered bounder that a proper gentleperson would not want to associate themselves with.
I consider Stephen Fry to be the indisputable king of pronouncing the word "blackguard". Must have been in some episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.
EDIT: Fourth>Forth

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases