D&D 5E 5e druids/wildshape/combat forms/improvements

CapnZapp

Legend
What options do a (Moon) druide have if she wants to become better at her main form of combat: wildshaping into a bear (or something).

Not looking for answers along the lines of:
- increase your level, choose better beasts
- stay in humanoid form, cast spells

It's looking rather thin, isn't it?

I mean, can you have "bear barding" where you increase the AC of your beast shape?

About the only spell I hear mentioned is Barkskin, and that is (of all things) Concentration.

Are there any potions or magic items that cater specifically to wildshaped druids?

Not looking for answers that benefit every character equally. A potion of healing or a potion of heroism could be used a bear-druid, but then again, it could be used by a Commoner too. Looking for items geared directly towards druids, and specifically druids in wildshape form.

Are there anything you can use to increase the damage output of your beast shapes?

Is there a way to train yourself to make "beast moves". For instance, some animals pounce or charge or knock prone. There are animals that are relentless and there are animals with pack tactics.

It would be great if there were a feat a druid could take that gave him any of these as inherent combat moves, that he then could use in whatever form, even forms that does not normally have them.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I mean, can you have "bear barding" where you increase the AC of your beast shape?

Sure, you *can*... but it's not in the game currently. A DM would have to create it themself. I do not recall off-hand any third party material that has already done this (but then again, I haven't looked specifically for it.)

Are there any potions or magic items that cater specifically to wildshaped druids?

Already in the game? Not that I can recall.

Are there anything you can use to increase the damage output of your beast shapes?

It would be great if there were a feat a druid could take that gave him any of these as inherent combat moves, that he then could use in whatever form, even forms that does not normally have them.

It probably would be. But a DM would have to design it themself as there is currently no such feat in the game.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sure, you *can*... but it's not in the game currently. A DM would have to create it themself. I do not recall off-hand any third party material that has already done this (but then again, I haven't looked specifically for it.)

It probably would be. But a DM would have to design it themself as there is currently no such feat in the game.
But some old d20 mechanics won't be reintroduced in 5e.

We only know a particular bonus or other mechanism is officially intended for 5e when we see an official version appearing.

In other words, I'd much rather wait.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Oofta

Legend
I'm giving my player's druid special armor that changes into barding for their new shape, but it's nothing official.

Overall, the druid's power is a little underwhelming at higher levels because the CR of the creatures you can change into is so limited. At low to medium levels it can be situationally useful, and the free HP is always nice.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd allow a Druid player to work with me and he DMG CR calculator to make improvements to an animal form they favor. If you want to play "the bear", then you have no where to go after polar/cave bear. Aside from occasional AC and Attack bonuses, for the most part +1 CR is +15 HP and +6 damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooperjer

Explorer
I'll have to double check, but I thought a druid acquired the attack capabilities of the creature it turned into. Therefore, transforming into a giant elk gave an ability to knock prone. Transforming into a wolf gave the ability to use pack tactics.

mellored

Legend
What options do a (Moon) druide have if she wants to become better at her main form of combat: wildshaping into a bear (or something).

Not looking for answers along the lines of:
- increase your level, choose better beasts
- stay in humanoid form, cast spells

It's looking rather thin, isn't it?
Compaire to wizards, who can "cast spells", no it's not.

Though I would agree that more emphasis on shapeshifting would be better.

Not needed. You get plenty of extra HP to make up for the lack of AC.
But 1 level of monk works great for that. Since you keep Wis in wild shape, and add it to AC.

It would be nice if there was some way to boost the to-hit though.

Is there a way to train yourself to make "beast moves". For instance, some animals pounce or charge or knock prone. There are animals that are relentless and there are animals with pack tactics.
Different beast have different moves.
So effectivly, yes.

I think beast spells (spells you can cast in beast form) would be an easier option.

Call the Horde.
Druid level 1.
Cast Time:1 bonus action
Special: You can only cast this spell when wild shaped.
Duration: 1 Minute
You give out a howl in your beast form, summoning other beasts of the same type in a within 30' of you. If your will shape ends, so does this spell.
You get a number of beasts who are CR equal X. This spell fails if your beast CR is too high to summon any creatures.
At higher level: Increase the number of beasts by X

Force the Wild: level 4
Cast Time: 1 action
You use the druids wild shape feature. The CR of the animal you choose is equal to your wild shape level / 3.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'll have to double check, but I thought a druid acquired the attack capabilities of the creature it turned into. Therefore, transforming into a giant elk gave an ability to knock prone. Transforming into a wolf gave the ability to use pack tactics.
That's right. Did you read something that led you to question this?

If you were reading what I wrote - I meant that it would have been cool to take an ability such a "knock prone" and use it on another form, that normally doesn't get it.

In other words, that the druid learns "beast maneuvers" as it were.

Remove ads