D&D 5E 5e Eldritch Knight vs PF Magus

fjw70

Adventurer
For those familiar with Pathfinder and the new 5e PH how does the Eldritch Knight compare to the PF Magus? I gave heard people say the Magus was the best fighter/wizard mix D&D has ever seen so was curious how the EK stacked up?

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
For those familiar with Pathfinder and the new 5e PH how does the Eldritch Knight compare to the PF Magus? I gave heard people say the Magus was the best fighter/wizard mix D&D has ever seen so was curious how the EK stacked up?
I am curious where those people get their drugs, because the best fighter/mage in D&D history was the swordmage.
The Eldritch Knight seems to work well enough. I wish they weren't so limited. It would have been better if their had access to three or four spell schools.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I am curious where those people get their drugs, because the best fighter/mage in D&D history was the swordmage.
The Eldritch Knight seems to work well enough. I wish they weren't so limited. It would have been better if their had access to three or four spell schools.
The best fighter/wizard in D&D history was the 2E multiclassed fighter/mage. Throw the Bladesinger kit in there for the extra cherry on top if you wish.

So I am curious where YOU are getting your drugs. ;)

Silvenger

First Post
I had an Hexblade in 3.5. Then I turned it into a Swordmage for the 4th, and now he will become an Eldritch Knight. Any comments about the EK, you fortunate guys who already have the PH? ;-)

Shroomy

Adventurer

I don't have my PH in front of me, but the EK isn't solely restricted to just abjuration and evocation spells; at several levels they can choose spells from any school (I believe four times including at 3rd).

Eirikrautha

First Post

It's hard to compare them, as spellcasters are so broken in PF that I wouldn't want an EK to be the equivalent. However, in an attempt to answer your question, let's look at each in turn.

Magus
  • high burst damage (shocking grasp cheese), below-average regular damage
  • increasing crit ranges (rapier and agile)
  • dex-to-damage (Dervish dance ultra-cheese)
  • utility spellcasting

Eldritch Knight
  • damage commensurate with other fighters
  • static crit range (increasing crit range goes to Champion archetype)
  • dex-to-damage RAW with finesse weapon
  • fewer and lower powered spells

On the whole, I would say that a Magus in PF is a decent spellcaster that can occasionally hold his own in melee (especially when bursting or debuffing... I have a rime-chill touch magus myself). The power and utility of magic is lower in 5e, so the EK is more of a primary martial (and good at it... equal to most other base martials) that has spells for a little flexibility. I, personally, like the EK better, as I think its better rounded. YMMV...

Remove ads