D&D (2024) How should the Swordmage be implemented in 1DnD?

I'd say the same about spell books and turning into animals, but here we are.
Also i've always been extremely vocal about how limiting shapeshifting to druid completely cripples the entire fantasy of a shapeshifter. As it will always be playing second fiddle to 9th level spells.

Not spell slots.
Ironically could swap paladin and swordmage then. Paladin smite used to be a feature, but got changed to spell slots. Spellstrike used to use spell slots, but instead could take the arcane archer route and go with a pool of points like Ki to fuel them.

Then again I've yet to meet anyone else who thinks that swordmage could be pulled off as a pure martial mechanically.

Yaarel

He Mage
I’m going back from a page 1 note. At the end of the day the Paladin is the best swordmage to date. It attacks with magic through the sword, it can buff, it can heal itself in or after combat.

So the task is an arcane Paladin with out the holy flavors
If the goal is an Arcane Paladin, create a Paladin subclass.

If the goal is an Arcane Paladin, create a Paladin subclass.
Ironically that was worked on / planned by Mearls.

Ended up getting axed due to a combo of Mearls leaving and the Paladin's subclasses being stuck to an extremely tight theme and set of mechanics.

Sadly Paladin's extremely strong theming and its homogenous mechanics between subclasses mean that it's one of the worst classes to attempt to make into something else.

Yaarel

He Mage
Ironically that was worked on / planned by Mearls.

Ended up getting axed due to a combo of Mearls leaving and the Paladin's subclasses being stuck to an extremely tight theme and set of mechanics.

Sadly Paladin's extremely strong theming and its homogenous mechanics between subclasses mean that it's one of the worst classes to attempt to make into something else.
The 5e Paladin is incredibly versatile with regard to flavor − anything from Tolkien Gandalf to Norse Thor to Death Knight to Jedi − especially if the damage type of Smite feature can swap the Radiant for something else. Each oath can add spells.

If necessary, a subclass can even swap a baseclass feature. Presumably it swaps the Paladin spell list for Wizard spell list tho I prefer a more thematic selection, such as any two schools.

I will look into the UA Paladin class for a way to go about it.

For me, an Arcane Paladin reminds me of a medieval Scottish "Fairie Knight". Any thoughts about calling the class Feyknight or similar?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Ironically could swap paladin and swordmage then. Paladin smite used to be a feature, but got changed to spell slots. Spellstrike used to use spell slots, but instead could take the arcane archer route and go with a pool of points like Ki to fuel them.

Then again I've yet to meet anyone else who thinks that swordmage could be pulled off as a pure martial mechanically.
Smite used to have its own resource. Now it's powered by slots.

One idea I pondered once was to have the Swordmage have its own resource outside of slots. Like Ki or sorcery points.

It would be sorta like the swordmage mixing a part of their physical stamina, mental will, and arcane power into a pool. These points would not be used to cast spells but to exert physical control over spells or wrest stability of themselves while in the process of spells or adapt to the magic around them via a technique.

There would be 8 of them. One for each school.

Like the Conjuration one could be "Whenever you teleport, you can spend 1 Resource to make a melee attack at the end of your movement"

And the class would have low level spells of these effects to trigger these techniques.

Last edited:

Remove ads