D&D (2024) How should the Artificer be implemented in 1DnD?

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i think artificers should just inherently be able to double the duration of any transmutation spell that they cast on an object and don't need to maintain concentration on it (they can still drop it at any time they wish though) they're THE archtypical 'enchanter'(WTH are spell schools doing? lol) class, there's precedent for this type of ability in the mark of making human who gets a 1/LR casting of magic weapon that lasts an hour without concentration.

ChameleonX

Explorer
If I had my way, all half casters in the game would get the same spell slot progression as a full caster, but instead of gaining 6th-level or higher slots, they'd just keep getting lower level slots

So a 20th-level Artificer could cast the same number of spells a day as a Sorcerer, but they would all be 5th-level or lower.

E.g. five 1st and 2nd level slots, and four each for 3rd through 5th.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If I had my way, all half casters in the game would get the same spell slot progression as a full caster, but instead of gaining 6th-level or higher slots, they'd just keep getting lower level slots

So a 20th-level Artificer could cast the same number of spells a day as a Sorcerer, but they would all be 5th-level or lower.

That's a really good idea, actually.

Clint_L

Hero

Paladins would need a complete rework if you gave them that many spell slots. Then you have a ton of other classes/sub-classes on which those extra spell slots wouldn't help much.

With regards to the OP, I think the biggest problem with Artificer is simple tuning. They have one sub-class that is tuned really well: the battle smith. The steel defender makes great use of bonus actions and reactions, freeing up the battle smith to use spells or attack from range as needed - my spouse has been playing one for awhile and it is a really effective jack of all trades class, able to add offence, defence, or utility as the situation demands. An A-tier sub-class.

Then the other three sub-classes all feel a bit half-baked by comparison. This leads to a situation similar to druid (Circle of the Moon) and monk (Way of Mercy), where one sub-class is so much better that it de facto becomes the entire class.

Remove ads