D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Saw that kickstarter. $35,000 seems really high. Also looks like it will be bloated being 250 pages. Makes me worry it will be complicated.
But haven't checked the preview. I might be converted.

I just took a longer look at it and downloaded some of the previews. They are essentially creating a completely new game it seems to me. Of course that is also what the Immortals Handbook did in BECMI as well. Not really what I'm looking for, but I understand the appeal of creating something new.

I like the concept of phased monsters (I did the same thing in my 4e Epic Updates), but I don't think you have to go that route for epic monsters. I don't get why it seems they are capping ability scores at 25 it seams. Maybe these are "epic" ability scores?

Also, it looks like the initial book will only include 20 monsters. I'm planning on 150+ and I don't think it is enough to really run an epic campaign.

Finally, I don't really like the format of the monster stat blocks or the graphic design in general, that could change, but I doubt it.

All this to say, no thanks on this one - I'll pass.

Of course that is also what the Immortals Handbook did in BECMI as well. Not really what I'm looking for, but I understand the appeal of creating something new.
Blacky the Blackball of Dark Dungeons fame is doing a 5e version of the Immortals rules from basic. Based on his prior work, I'll wait for that if I want a new game. Plus, it will be free too.

Also, it looks like the initial book will only include 20 monsters. I'm planning on 150+ and I don't think it is enough to really run an epic campaign.
My thoughts exactly.

All this to say, no thanks on this one - I'll pass.
Yeah, me too.

Also, I prefer the epic boons approach in accordance with the DMG as you yourself use as backpillar for epic characters. I enjoy your monsters, but really hope you also continue developing the character options from the other thread.

To publish all of the monsters (142+) in these epic updates (I I really want at some point), I am looking at something like $20,000-$30,000 for the art. I might be able to get a large commission deal, but that is the amount I'm planning on.
Or you could decide that this be a 100% digital product and and people will read it with a laptop or tablet, and perhaps print out what they need for the session. Price the pdf based on that (say $10 for 150 monsters or so) and hold back on illustrating all monsters. Just a thought.

I enjoy cool art in my monster books, but I'd rather have less good art than plenty less good art. And in the end, I read and use the stat blocks.

Which remind me, I'll gladly go through your "final" versions for clarity of abilities etc., as I've done for a few of your monsters.

dave2008

Legend
Or you could decide that this be a 100% digital product and and people will read it with a laptop or tablet, and perhaps print out what they need for the session. Price the pdf based on that (say $10 for 150 monsters or so) and hold back on illustrating all monsters. Just a thought.

I enjoy cool art in my monster books, but I'd rather have less good art than plenty less good art. And in the end, I read and use the stat blocks.

Which remind me, I'll gladly go through your "final" versions for clarity of abilities etc., as I've done for a few of your monsters.

It will definitely be digital initially, and I will have the stat blocks on this forum (with a compiled PDF eventually) for free. The pay product would include fluff, art, and a few versions of the stat block (both my epic rules and one follow the less aggressive official progression, and each version in color and black and white for easy printing.)

I'd love the editing help when it comes time. I keep that in mind.

dave2008

Legend
Also, I prefer the epic boons approach in accordance with the DMG as you yourself use as backpillar for epic characters. I enjoy your monsters, but really hope you also continue developing the character options from the other thread.

I plan too, it is just an area I'm not as comfortable with, so I am taking time and gathering info still.

I was worried with all of the epic character options coming out that my approach would be obsolete. However, no one seems to be really expanding the epic boons, choosing to extend levels instead. So I think my approach still has some validity.

Also, I will need to work on that thread some before I finish my epic monsters as I will need to add the epic spells and portfolio powers I develop for epic characters.

dave2008

Legend
Just uploaded the loathsome demigod of the troglodytes: Laogzed. I thought this was going to be a simply design, but as I got into it, it seemed to want more complexity than I anticipated. There is not a lot of existing info on Laogzed, but what there was became very suggestive to me. Anyway, I hope you like it. This will probably be my last post for the week, I need to get some other things finished up. Have a great week!

Nice. I like the sticky tongue, and I wouldn't have thought of a jump attack; that would be memorable. I have a vague recollection that his domain is a subterranean series of caves, so maybe he should have a climb speed too (or spider climb as an at will spell). I figure a hezrou demon is kind of a super troglodyte--so if you are a really good (evil) trog, your reward is becoming one in the afterlife. As such, they would be nice as summoned minions.

dave2008

Legend
Nice. I like the sticky tongue, and I wouldn't have thought of a jump attack; that would be memorable. I have a vague recollection that his domain is a subterranean series of caves, so maybe he should have a climb speed too (or spider climb as an at will spell). I figure a hezrou demon is kind of a super troglodyte--so if you are a really good (evil) trog, your reward is becoming one in the afterlife. As such, they would be nice as summoned minions.

I think your right about the climb speed and hezrou. I will have to add those, thanks for the suggestions!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases