5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Umm. they are on the template and I typed them as +8 into the CR calculator...? Am I missing something....(making it huge)

addit - changed the kick to +8 to hit

Cleon

Legend
Okay, I ran its numbers through the Challenge Rating calculator and it came out to CR 7 (2,900 XP) assuming it maximizes its damage output:

i.e. if it uses Multiattack every round, plus Counterstrike twice a round every three rounds and once a round two times every three rounds plus uses Kick for ALL its bonus actions then it's average DPR is 56.66.

If it only uses its Multiattack and a Kick each round its DPR is 38 for Challenge 6.

That's not factoring in its advantages on Saving Throws and the tactical maneuvering it can do with Shove.

Overall, I'm eyeballing the Marauder at Challenge 7 since it's a lot more versatile than a standard Ettin.

The fellow is lacking a ranged attack, which is a serious disadvantage.

Most editions of the standard ettin lack ranged attacks though: they don't even chuck rocks. Only the 3E Ettin does, being able to chuck javelins. Would you like it to be able to do that?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Sure - ok will follow your lead on CR and yeah...some sort of ranged weapon is good - javelins or rocks (former used as canon once, latter seems more logical). I'm going to bed so will see in several hours

Cleon

Legend
Sure - ok will follow your lead on CR and yeah...some sort of ranged weapon is good - javelins or rocks (former used as canon once, latter seems more logical). I'm going to bed so will see in several hours

Checking my sources there is an official rock-throwing ettin. The 1E AD&D "Duh 'Cology… of Duh Ettin" in Dragon Magazine #92 (December 1984) added that ability to the Ettin.

Since Ettins are basically two-headed Hill Giants I do favour rocks for the weapon. They ought not to be as effective as the 5E Hill Giant's 3d10+5 missiles. The Dragon #92 version does 2d6 damage with a 6" range, which compares to a 1E Hill Giant doing 2d8 with a 20" range.

So maybe:

Multiattack. The ettin makes two attacks: one with its battleaxe and one with its morningstar; or two with rocks.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Or swap it for javelins doing piercing damage if you prefer the 3E-inspired ranged option.

Cleon

Legend
I still get CR 5. I realise I calculated with d12 not d10 so hp should be126 (12d10 + 60)

Remember it gets damaging attacks with its Reactions.

Multiattacks: Battleaxe (average 14) plus Morningstar (average 14) for 28 damage.

Reactions: on the first round, if it has two opponents entering melee range it can use both its Battleaxe and Morningstar Counterstrikes, each of which averages 14 damage. Whch increases its first round damage to 56.

Since both its Counterattack Reactions have Reaction 4-6 (which is 50% for each), on average ONE of its Counterattacks will Recharge each round, for an average of 14 damage on the subsequent rounds since it has two Counterattacks.

So that's 42 DPR for the second and third rounds.

In addition, it can use its Bonus Action to make a Kick Attack each round, for 10 another damage.

So that's 56+10 plus 42+10 (twice) divided by three, which is 56⅔ DPR.

Cleon

Legend
In addition, it can use its Bonus Action to make a Kick Attack each round, for 10 another damage.

That's assuming we were going to drop the Recharge from its Kick Bonus Action, which I'm in favour off. Having more than a couple of Recharge Actions on the go is too fiddly to keep track off.

I'll post an "Enworld Version" of the Ettin Marauder.

Cleon

Legend
Ettin Marauder
Huge giant, chaotic evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor plus leather armor)
Hit Points 138 (12d12 + 60)
Speed 40 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
21 (+5)​
10 (+0)​
20 (+5)​
6 (–2)​
10 (+0)​
8 (–1)​

Skills Perception +4
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Giant, Orc
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP) Proficiency Bonus +3

Two Heads. The ettin has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.

Twin Reactions. The ettin marauder can take up to two reactions during its turn, but the reactions must be in response to separate triggers.

Wakeful. When one of the ettin’s heads is asleep, its other head is awake.

Actions

Multiattack. The ettin makes two attacks: one with its battleaxe and one with its morningstar; or two with rocks.

Battleaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) slashing damage.

Morningstar. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d8 + 5) piercing damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Bonus Actions

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d4 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Shove. The ettin marauder pushes an adjacent opponent of size Medium or smaller; the opponent must succeed at a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be moved 10 feet away from the ettin.

Reactions

Battleaxe Counterstrike (Recharge 4-6). When an opponent moves within melee range of the ettin marauder or hits it with a melee attack, the ettin makes one battleaxe attack against that opponent.

Morningstar Counterstrike (Recharge 4-6). When an opponent moves within melee range of the ettin marauder or hits it with a melee attack, the ettin makes one morningstar attack against that opponent.

Swat. If an opponent makes an action while adjacent to the ettin marauder, the ettin can use shove against that opponent.

Description

Ettin marauders are ettins of prodigious size with greater combat skill and battle-savviness than is normal for these two-headed giants. They often lead bands of regular ettins or work as mercenaries for powerful evil creatures, particularly other giants. Some ambitious marauders rule conquered tribes of orcs or similarly savage humanoids.

(Adapted from 4th Edition's Monster Manual (2008).)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
The Monster Manual version of the Ettin has "Languages Giant, Orc", so I'd rather use that formula instead of the creole version of "Speaks a creole form of Giant and Orcish (DC 15 Insight for speaker of either to understand)"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases