5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Right, where were we....ok, have incorporated mind scourge from 4e MM2 and streamlined damage.

Attachments

• derrochaossavant.jpg
    derrochaossavant.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 137

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
OK - wrote this as description for fomorian ghost shaman:

A fomorian ghost shaman can be distinguished from its kindred by its aura of ghostly eyes that hover around its head and torso, warping and obscuring its countenance. It also commonly wears a necklace of skulls, signifying its kinship and command over the dead.

Pact with the Dead. Fomorian ghost shamen gain considerable powers to influence the minds or drain life of opponents and command ghosts to do their bidding. Shrouded in darkness, they fight with their ranged powers behind their kindred. The exact nature of the pacts they have forged and who with is unknown.

Cleon

Legend
A fomorian ghost shaman can be distinguished from its kindred by its aura of ghostly eyes that hover around its head and torso, warping and obscuring its countenance. It also commonly wears a necklace of skulls, signifying its kinship and command over the dead.

Pact with the Dead. Fomorian ghost shamen gain considerable powers to influence the minds or drain life of opponents and command ghosts to do their bidding. Shrouded in darkness, they fight with their ranged powers behind their kindred. The exact nature of the pacts they have forged and who with is unknown.

Hmm… I think we could trim out the "from it kindred," especially as it's got "kinship" in the next sentence, and rephrase the "also commonly."

Huh, you've got a "kindred" in the next paragraph too!

Does it really need the "is unknown" last sentence?

So how about…

A fomorian ghost shaman can be distinguished by the aura of ghostly eyes that hover around its head and torso, warping and obscuring its appearance. It traditionally wears a necklace of skulls, signifying its kinship with death.​
Pact with the Dead. Fomorian ghost shamen command ghosts to do their bidding, allowing them to warp the minds of opponents or drain their lives. Shrouded in darkness, they fight with ranged powers behind their allies.​

Cleon

Legend
Right, where were we....ok, have incorporated mind scourge from 4e MM2 and streamlined damage.

Okie-dokey, let's have a look-see.

derrochaossavant-jpg.281150

Hmm, type/alignment and Speed is fine.

The HP/HD might be up for review later but I'm OK with it for the time being.

As for the Armor Class, I think you'd better mention the fiendish blessing in the (brackets) since leather armor plus DEX 14 is only AC 13.

A Monsters of the Multiverse Derro Savant has Stealth proficiency but no Perception in Skills. Also, WIS 11 and Prof. Bonus. +4 would give it passive Perception 14 not 15.

As for the Abilities

I'd be inclined to give it Strength 9 like the 3E and 3E Savant. Not sure about making the CON higher than the DEX. The 3E and 5E Derro have it the other way around with DEX better than CON, and they're like that in AD&D too with Derro being noted for being "one of the most dexterous of humanoid races (averaging 15-18)" in the Monstrous Manual (1993).

Savants also tend towards genius level intelligence in earlier editions, so INT 12 seems a bit miserly.

Cleon

Legend
ok line break added - new version here

Dang it, I missed that there's also a line break missing from before the "(Inspired by…" credit.

There's a minor inconsistency between the second paragraphs of Darksoul Mist and Curse of the Evil Eye. The first has the initial Em-Space of the Enworld version, the second lacks it (e.g. " The transformed creature" with space vs. "The transformed creature" without an emspace). There's also no emspace before Pact with the Dead.

Either cut out the leftover emspace in " The cube of darkness" or add emspaces at the start of the other two paragraphs.

It doesn't matter to me which you go for, so long as it's the same for all three of them.

Also, the "4-6)." in the Darksoul Mist (Recharges 4-6) is missing its boldness.

Remove ads