5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Cleon

Legend
Have gone with Str 27 Dex 12 Con 22 Int 9 Wis 14 Cha 16 - the 5e issue with PCs with high AC being unhittable is a problem, so I like STR 27 and extra bonus to hit for that reason

Updating the Fomorian Butcher.

Don't think the "to hit" issue is a big deal since the Monster Statistics by Challenge Rating table gives a typical attack bonus for CR 12 of+8 and the Butcher will be way above that with its Strength and Proficiency Bonuses.

We can always lower the damage a bit instead. It'd be easy enough to reduce the number and/or size of damage dice dealt by its melee attacks.

Designwise it's main obvious weakness is the poor ranged attack, as it only has its Evil Eye. That's true to the original, so I'd consider it a feature rather than a bug.

Cleon

Legend
ok so attacks...?

I've got a pile of ideas for its actions but need to sort them out first.

Before that, the current draft does way too much damage to be Challenge 12.

Typically, it'll Multiattack with either three Falchion attacks (66 damage) or two falchion attacks plus an Evil Eye (71 damage). If ONE of those falchion attacks hit, which seems likely, it gets to use Fomorian Butchery for +22 damage both that round and its NEXT round, as the butchery in your draft says "since the start of its previous turn".

Let's see, so if has four or six tries at +12 to hit, if it's facing a target with, say, AC 18 it needs a 6+ to hit for a 75% chance of hitting, meaning the odds of it missing ALL of its falchion blows is at worst 0.39% (for four attacks) and at best 0.0244% (for six attacks).

So the butchery's almost a given, increasing the DPR from 66 or 71 to 88 or 93. Plus even if it doesn't get to use its Reaction for butchery, you've given it an opportunity attack with Falchion Mastery so it'll probably get to attack with that too.

Plus as the cherry on the top, you've given it the option of making an extra attack with its falchion if it scores a critical from Fomorian Brutality. With three attacks a round it has a 14.2625% chance of triggering. That adds another 3.13 or so to the DPR for an average damage around 91 to 96.

Putting those numbers in the CR Calculator says its Challenge Rating 14 not 12.

What I'd do is trim down the number of attacks and likely modify or add a few actions to make the combat a bit more interesting. At the moment, the optimal strategy for the Butcher is Curse of the Evil Eye and then nothing but slash attacks with the occasional Evil Eye for spice.

That seems a bit monotonous and apart from the bonus attacks and damage type doesn't help distinguish it from a regular Fomorian. Doing slashing damage instead of bludgeoning isn't that memorable a difference.

Cleon

Legend
Incidentally, why does its Falchion do 4d6 damage?

As a Huge monster a Fomorian Giant would normally do triple damage with an artificial melee weapon, but you can't get 4d6 by multiplying threefold. It's possible with a Large 2d6 weapon (e.g. an Ogre with a Greatsword) or a Colossal 1d6 weapon (e.g. a Titan with a Shortsword).

Shouldn't the Falchion's base damage be 3d8 instead? It's pretty much the same average DPR but hews to the monster precedents better.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok 3d8 it is then. and 2 attacks/round?

to mix up combat - maybe the weapon butt attack like in polearm master as bonus action. I like oppotunity attack when opponent comes in melee range too.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
ok 3d8 it is then. and 2 attacks/round?

to mix up combat - maybe the weapon butt attack like in polearm master as bonus action. I like oppotunity attack when opponent comes in melee range too.

Upon reflection, with two main attacks we want the damage to be a bit higher. On par with the 6d8 of the basic Fomorian's Evil Eye. So let's say its Falchion does 27 (3d12 + 8) slashing damage.

Hmm… how I'd approach this conversion it is mimic the 4E version and have the Evil Eye do different effects for different Fomorians and make them be able to use it more often. The 4E monster can glare with its eye as a minor action, so I'd have the butcher be able to Evil Eye as a Bonus Action with does little or no manage but inflicts some inconvenient condition.

It's also mix up the Curse of the Evil Eye so it does a different effect, like a more intense version of its Bonus Action Evil Eye.

So if the Evil Eye bonus action does, say, 2d10 damage and restrains the target on a failed save, then the Butcher can double whammy a target that failed its Evil Eye save with its Curse that, say, another 6d8 damage and paralysis, with reduced effect on a successful save.

Don't care for the opportunity attacks when an opponent comes within melee range. The original monster is a fairly simply build that's isn't overburdened with actions, possibly because it was meant to be accompanied by a few standard monsters or a bunch of minions and giving it lots of options might make the Encounter hard to run.

Tactically, I'd build it to focus on one opponent at a time and, well, butcher its enemy.

Instead of its Evil Eye curse causing deformity like a standard Fomorian, how about the Butcher causes the same penalties as deformity by chopping up its victim.

I'll write up a rough draft of the above…

Cleon

Legend
So how's this:

Actions
Multiattack. The fomorian butcher attacks twice with its falchion or makes one falchion attack and uses Curse of the Evil Eye once.​
Falchion. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 27 (3d12 + 8) slashing damage.​
Curse of the Evil Eye. The fomorian butcher stares at a creature it can see within 60 feet of it that is restrained by its Evil Eye. The creature must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or take 27 (6d8) psychic damage and be paralyzed for 1 minute. If the creature's saving throw is successful, it takes half damage and is not paralyzed. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. The effect also ends if the fomorian butcher uses Curse of the Evil Eye against a different target.​
Fomorian Butchery (Recharges 4-6). The fomorian butcher makes two falchion attacks against a living creature that is prone, restrained or paralyzed. If it hits with one or more of these attacks, the target must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or take an additional 26 (4d12) damage and be cursed with magical mutilations. While mutilated, the creature has its speed halved and has disadvantage on ability checks, saving throws, and attacks based on Strength or Dexterity.​
  The mutilated creature can repeat the saving throw whenever it finishes a long rest at full hit points, ending the effect on a success.​
[Note: I made the additional damage typeless so the fomorian can butcher creatures immune to nonmagical slashing damage. Would consider making it 4d12 slashing, force or necrotic damage.]​
Bonus Actions
Evil Eye. The fomorian butcher magically glares at a creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The creature must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage and be restrained for 1 minute. If the creature's saving throw is successful, it takes half damage and is not restrained. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success, and it automatically succeeds on its saving throw if the butcher uses Evil Eye against a different target. The effect also ends if the fomorian butcher uses Curse of the Evil Eye.​

Remove ads