• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5e guns

born2streak

First Post
I'm sure someone has already made up some guns for 5e, but I was bored at work and thought I'd see what I could come up with. Here it is:

Weapons

Pistol
Cost: 800 gp Dmg: 1d8 piercing & bludgeoning Weight: 4 lbs Properties: Ammunition (range 20/80), loading, special

Musket Cost: 1300 gp Dmg: 1d12 piercing & bludgeoning Weight: 10 lbs Properties: Ammunition (range 40/160), loading, special, two-handed

Special: Guns have advantage on attack rolls when the target is within half the normal range.

Bayonet Cost: 5 gp Dmg: 1d6 piercing Weight: 1 lb Properties: special

Special: It is a Use an Object action to attach a bayonet to or remove from a musket. Because bayonets are designed to be used while attached to a musket, it counts as an improvised weapon that does 1d4 piercing damage if used by itself.

Feat: Gunslinger
Thanks to extensive practice with guns, you gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Dexterity by 1 to a maximum of 20.
- Being within 5 ft of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
- When you use the Attack action & attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded pistol you are holding.

What do you think?
Thanks!

Hmm. By 'piercing & bludgeoning' do you mean it does one die of each, or one die that is considered both?

I suspect you mean the latter, in which case things could get weird with resistances and vulnerabilities.

For example, the skeleton is currently vulnerable to bludgeoning, and I've been considering making it immune to piercing as well. What would happen if you shot such a skeleton?

Sadrik

First Post
I think the hand, light, and heavy crossbows are a good starting spot for pistol, light longarm/rifle/musket and heavy longarm/rifle/musket. I think they should only be piercing damage and perhaps move the die type up one to show it packs more punch than a crossbow (d8/d10/d12). There is also the shotgun/blunderbuss which could be a 20' cone (or a 40' line) for 2d6 damage save for half DC = 10 + dex + Prof in weapon. All would have the loading property and ranges of the crossbows. Depending on rarity you could make them all simple weapons or martial weapons.

Also, these would add DEX to damage but I am in favor of adding in a virtual STR score to the damage of the weapon. pistol might be 14, light longarm 16, heavy longarm 18. A magic item or quality weapon property might be to increase the virtual strength of the weapon.

born2streak

First Post
Hmm. By 'piercing & bludgeoning' do you mean it does one die of each, or one die that is considered both?

I suspect you mean the latter, in which case things could get weird with resistances and vulnerabilities.

For example, the skeleton is currently vulnerable to bludgeoning, and I've been considering making it immune to piercing as well. What would happen if you shot such a skeleton?

Yes, I was thinking 1 die roll which is considered both piercing and bludgeoning. It was something I took from Pathfinder, which seemed to make sense to me. I would think muskets would be reasonably effective against a skeleton, certainly more so than a bow or crossbow. I am also not an expert on such matters, so I can see where you're coming from.

As for the ranges, I was trying to go off of what I've been reading online about the effective range of a musket and other smoothbore guns. Though again, I'm not a smoothbore gun expert.

I was debating how to handle the blunderbus. I had considered the saving throw idea, but hadn't decided as of yet. I think the Str idea, while interesting, might be a little too wierd. :hmm:

BigVanVader

First Post
If we're going black powder muskets, and not more modern firearms, the reload time should be obnoxiously long. They took so long that, if you wanted to shoot someone more than once in a fight, you'd either have a double-barreled pistol, or you'd have a big brace of pistols around your stomach or something, and just fire once then throw it to the ground so you can grab another one quickly.

If we're going strictly realistic, they should get minuses unless multiple people are firing in a volley, in which case maybe they'd get a small bonus or something.

born2streak

First Post
If we're going black powder muskets, and not more modern firearms, the reload time should be obnoxiously long. They took so long that, if you wanted to shoot someone more than once in a fight, you'd either have a double-barreled pistol, or you'd have a big brace of pistols around your stomach or something, and just fire once then throw it to the ground so you can grab another one quickly.

If we're going strictly realistic, they should get minuses unless multiple people are firing in a volley, in which case maybe they'd get a small bonus or something.

Let's not get crazy with excessive realism here. This is D&D after all. ;)

Tzarevitch

First Post

Reload time on black powder weapons isn't noticeably longer than heavy crossbow reload times.

Paraxis

Explorer
I wouldn't give them advantage on attacks at close range, early firearms are not very accurate especially compared to a bow or crossbow. Until rifling came to be your best hope to hit someone with a firearm was to shoot at a crowd or line of people, that or have the muzzle almost next to them.

Crossbows that do one die type higher and are martial weapons sounds like where I would start.

born2streak

First Post
I wouldn't give them advantage on attacks at close range, early firearms are not very accurate especially compared to a bow or crossbow. Until rifling came to be your best hope to hit someone with a firearm was to shoot at a crowd or line of people, that or have the muzzle almost next to them.

Crossbows that do one die type higher and are martial weapons sounds like where I would start.

I had debated that advantage thing. It was inspired by something else, but certainly wasn't something I was in love with.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
The firearms rules I'm planning on using:

• Flintlock Pistol - d8 piercing, range 15/60, loading
  • Flintlock Musket - d10 piercing, range 40/160, loading
  • Flintlock Long Rifle - d12 piercing, range 50/200, loading

Special: Unless silenced by magic, firing any flintlock weapon makes enough noise that the user may not attempt the Hide action until the end of her next turn.

Obviously I'm willing to sacrifice a substantial amount of realism to make a thematic point. In a massed-fire situation, I might explore smoke clouds creating concealment in the round following a volley.

Haven

Remove ads