D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
I like it. Except that a cost of 3 actions for fire aura seems a bit steep?

Well, I only have about 30-40hp of damage I can do with legendary actions and maintain the CR. The aura causes damage in a lot of ways (potentially twice a target's turn + each time a creature hits the dragon) and could affect multiple targets. So I it could easily break the damage budget, but a smart group can avoid most of it (though a smart dragon would only use it when it can maximize the damage). In addition, if someone moves in and out of the aura they would be subject to an opportunity attack.

Hmm, perhaps I could add a defensive effect as well to protect from ranged attacks - that is one of my AD&D tenants from the OP. Maybe a +4 to AC vs ranged attacks originating outside the aura?

dave2008

Legend
I have updated the balor, marilith, and goristro. I incorporated some earlier suggestions, updated to the new format, and made some improvements.

In addition, I have added the Molydeus (CR 18,elite) and Nalfeshnee Tyrant (CR 13, elite) to the Fiends section

dave2008

Legend
Yay!!! The Molydeus!! One of my faves.

Let me know what you think. I had a hard time getting my mind wrapped around that one. I basically decided to go axe heavy with the design, since that is its signature weapon. However, I gave it several containment spells as a means to help it punish wayward fiends. Any suggestions are welcome!

dave2008

Legend
Nice updates. I'm not sure I get the Marilliths' Reactive trait... don't all creatures get a reaction on their turn?

Reactive is a hold over form the Monster Manual - because it is awesome! What it means is that the marilith gets a reaction on everyone else's turn. So if it is being attacked by 6 people, it gets 6 reactions. Makes it very tough to hit. However, that is still only on reaction per turn. So if a fighter gets 3 attacks on its turn the Marilith can only parry one. Though it can still also parry the rouge's sneak attack.

Ah, that's cool! Soo... if it has a lot of allies, this counts as well?
Maybe clarify that it is on each creature's (or opponent's) turn, no matter what the MM entry says? Or maybe it's just me that slow....

Remove ads