D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Overall, I do like it. There were a couple of things they had in 2E that haven't been accounted. The first is they had True Sight (always on); they were only harmed by 'cold-wrought' weapons and their axe was a vorpal axe. They also communicated with ESP. I'm not sure how this will 'inflate' the CR on this. The damage resistance most definitely would. I don't think ESP or True Sight would though. No clue what to do with the Vorpal ability though - is the additional die of slashing damage taking that into account?

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Ancient Green Dragon Duke, the Elder Green Dragon Earl, the Adult Green Dragon Viscount, and the Young Green Dragon Baron to the Dragons section.

These were more difficult than I thought they would be and I am not 100% happy with them. So if there are any suggestions for improvements I am all ears!

You have uploaded the elder red dragon instead of the green. Also, the young casts poison spray at 11th level, the adult at 5th.
I will give them all a more thorough look and post my comments.

A few observations and suggestions:
The ancient and adult have the same threshold for poisonous wounds.
Maybe a CR limit on dominating presence, so the dragon can't nullify the charm immunities of creatures way above its own CR.
Think it's in character the older ones also can cast something like obscuring mists from older editions.
Maybe creatures affected by frightening presence have disadvantage on not being dominated?
The ancient needs to be able to hide its thought and similar ways of detection. A party at that lvl will spot it right away.
Guess it keeps its con also, since hp and HD are kept.
"the dragon uses either Poison Breath or Poison Cloud" is better, I think.
Since the young's unstoppable is watered down, why not have it be unlimited in uses? The older Dragons get unlimited use of a better version and it's less bookkeeping for the DM.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Klurichir to the Fiends sections. I listed it in the Demons section though I guess technically it is an Obyrith. FYI, that is the reason I didn't give it demon summons - I figured standard demons wouldn't listen to call of these fallen lords (despite what 3.5 said).

dave2008

Legend
A few observations and suggestions:
The ancient and adult have the same threshold for poisonous wounds.

Corrected now - thank yuo!

Maybe a CR limit on dominating presence, so the dragon can't nullify the charm immunities of creatures way above its own CR.

Good idea - I added one.

Think it's in character the older ones also can cast something like obscuring mists from older editions.

Is this a suggestion to add/revise something or confirmation of poisonous cloud? I had a version of the "Fog" lair action as a legendary action for the longest time, but it eventually got dropped for space.

Maybe creatures affected by frightening presence have disadvantage on not being dominated?

I gave the ancient "Beguiling Presence" which can charm instead - might be too powerful. I'm still thinking about it.

The ancient needs to be able to hide its thought and similar ways of detection. A party at that lvl will spot it right away.

What do you suggest?

Guess it keeps its con also, since hp and HD are kept.

Not sure what you are referring to. None of these should keep the HP and HD from the MM or from each other.

"the dragon uses either Poison Breath or Poison Cloud" is better, I think.

Maybe, but I just followed the standard created by the metallic dragons. I don't see the need to change it as this time. If it is an issue with Change Shape causing confusion could move it above breath weapon, or eliminate it all together. Or maybe I need to change the name of poisonous cloud to include "breath."

Since the young's unstoppable is watered down, why not have it be unlimited in uses? The older Dragons get unlimited use of a better version and it's less bookkeeping for the DM.

Possibly, but it is still a strong ability for a CR 8 creature (or CR 10 as it is for the young red). It is worth noting that in the MM young dragons don't get legendary resistance at all. I don't feel a need to change it at this time.

Is this a suggestion to add/revise something or confirmation of poisonous cloud? I had a version of the "Fog" lair action as a legendary action for the longest time, but it eventually got dropped for space.
Something like the last. I think it's been a thing for green dragons that they use mists and fogs near their lairs and in combat. Not a neccesity and can be added in a section on affecting the environment, like some monsters do (forget the exact term). Not a biggie.

dave2008 said:
What do you suggest?
Something like what you added to Cyan Bloodbane when I suggested the same. Some sort of mind blank and only being detectable by truesight (Cyan's being stronger). It depends n how you envision the change shape being used. If for intrigue, the dragon must have someway to avoid the most basic o fdetections from lvl 16+ parties.

dave2008 said:
Not sure what you are referring to. None of these should keep the HP and HD from the MM or from each other.
I was referring to change shape. If hp and hd stays the same, the dragon should also retain its con score in addition to int, wis and cha.

dave2008 said:
Maybe, but I just followed the standard created by the metallic dragons. I don't see the need to change it as this time. If it is an issue with Change Shape causing confusion could move it above breath weapon, or eliminate it all together. Or maybe I need to change the name of poisonous cloud to include "breath."
Nah, forgot that it's the way it's done in the MM. I rarely look at the metallic dragons.

dave2008 said:
Possibly, but it is still a strong ability for a CR 8 creature (or CR 10 as it is for the young red). It is worth noting that in the MM young dragons don't get legendary resistance at all. I don't feel a need to change it at this time.
No problem.

Remove ads