[5E] Interrupting a Spellcaster via Ready Action

I worry that allowing spellcasting to be disrupted in combat is going to take us back to the OD&D days, where casters used crossbows in combat, not spells, making the player wonder, "So why did I play a mage again?".

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As an caveat, as some others have mentioned, I still wouldn't allow a cantrip to be interrupted. They are supposed to be "swift" and it would give casters the go to spells in situations where they worry about having their spells interrupted.

5ekyu

Hero
As an caveat, as some others have mentioned, I still wouldn't allow a cantrip to be interrupted. They are supposed to be "swift" and it would give casters the go to spells in situations where they worry about having their spells interrupted.
So my 1 action firebolt is swifter than my reaction feather fall or my bonus action healing word or spiritual weapon?

Cool!!!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So my 1 action firebolt is swifter than my reaction feather fall or my bonus action healing word or spiritual weapon?

Cool!!!

Given that this thread has been about using a readied action to interrupt a spell as it is being cast, your post is pretty much nonsensical. My reference should obviously have been to a cantrip being interrupted by a readied action. If you didn't understand that, more is the pity.

5ekyu

Hero
Given that this thread has been about using a readied action to interrupt a spell as it is being cast, your post is pretty much nonsensical. My reference should obviously have been to a cantrip being interrupted by a readied action. If you didn't understand that, more is the pity.
Huh? I have no idea what you are going on about.

You said cantrips would not be interruptable by ready actions cuz cantrips are swift.

I gave examples of other cases remarking on how that "swift" exception of yours plays out after like 2.6 seconds of thinkery.

As I understood what you said...

"I cast firebolt" as a 1 action cast **cannot** be interrupted by a ready action in your new exception to the exception. (Swift enough)

But since these are not cantrips, they could be...

"I cast spiritual weapon" as a bonus action cast **can** be interrupted by a ready action even with your new exception to the exception. (Not Swift enough)

"I cast healing word" as a bonus action cast **can** be interrupted by a ready action even with your new exception to the exception. "Not swift enough)

"I cast feather fall" as s reaction cast cast **can** be interrupted by a ready action even with your new exception to the exception. (Not swift enough)

No idea why you thought my post was nonsensical. Was there a statement somewhere in there which said these other spells cant be interrupted?

Li Shenron

Legend

How about Mending? :)

epithet

Explorer
I see no reason to think that a cantrip is any faster than any other 1 action spell. I wouldn't let a bonus action spell be interrupted, but I have no qualms about a 1 action cantrip.

Remove ads