D&D 5E 5e Inventory Tracking Sheet (with Simplified Encumbrance)

designbot

Explorer
Those variations sound like perfectly reasonable house rules that would make it easier to play. I might even use something like that myself.

I think the current sheet is closer to the official encumbrance rules, though, which is what I was aiming for. Under those, a person with 16 Strength can carry up to 80 pounds before becoming encumbered. Plate takes up 65 of that, leaving 15 pounds free. Add a 5-pound waterskin, 4-pound traveler's clothes, and a 6-pound greatsword, and you're at the limit. I assume that's why plate armor usually has a 15 Strength requirement (though you can ignore that when you use encumbrance).

It's pretty harsh. Heavy armor is definitely a trade off.

Last edited:

Quajek

Explorer
...a person with 16 Strength can carry up to 80 pounds before becoming encumbered. Plate takes up 65 of that, leaving 15 pounds free. Add a 5-pound waterskin, 4-pound traveler's clothes, and a 6-pound greatsword, and you're at the limit. I assume that's why plate armor usually has a 15 Strength requirement (though you can ignore that when you use encumbrance).

I was under the impression that clothes only count as weight if you're carrying them rather than wearing them.

If you wear your clothes, you've freed up another 4 pounds.

A waterskin only weighs 5 lbs when it's full. If you're in a town or city, or in the wilderness with a Ranger or anyone with the Outlander background, feel free to empty out that waterskin and get another 5 lbs of carrying capacity back.

Note on the sheet (which I love), maybe add a toggle or something for Large creatures, or Goliaths, who have 2x the carrying capacity of a Medium creature with an equal Strength score, and for Small creatures, who have half.

designbot

Explorer
I was under the impression that clothes only count as weight if you're carrying them rather than wearing them…
Note on the sheet (which I love), maybe add a toggle or something for Large creatures, or Goliaths, who have 2x the carrying capacity of a Medium creature with an equal Strength score, and for Small creatures, who have half.

The standard rules aren't clear on this. The simplified encumbrance sheet does specify that worn clothing doesn't count toward encumbrance.

Check the latest version—it includes a note about Large and Tiny creatures. (Small creatures actually have the same carrying capacity as Medium ones.)

the_redbeard

Explorer
We had the first session of my campaign using my slightly edited version of designbot's sheets (and my group sheet) last night. A short session, but encumbrance came up. An armored character dumped his backpack (labeled on the map) so that they could avoid penalties. The barbarian carried the treasure. So far the players were cool with it, and encumbrance is a part of the game _without_ slowing it down.

Staccat0

First Post
How would you tweak it?

A few teensy tiny things. Mainly, I think I'd like to see five faint gray bubbles in the corner of the inventory slots to make tracking things like torches a little cleaner. At least to my stupid brain.

I'd like to cheat padded armor to cost 1 point instead of 2.

Also, if I were already monkeying around with it, in my next campaign I am axing studded leather so I would probably do that too. I really like this though and will probably stick with this than messing with an uglier thing I would make.

Last edited:

Remove ads