D&D 5E 5e is dead to me! Almost, TWF issue..

sidonunspa

First Post
I love to play swashbuckler type characters...

Is it me?

Do my eyes deceive me?!?

I can't fight rapier/dagger?!?!?!?

Apparently BOTH weapons need to be light and for some odd reason, rapiers are not light weapons...

Thalionalfirin

First Post
I love to play swashbuckler type characters...

Is it me?

Do my eyes deceive me?!?

I can't fight rapier/dagger?!?!?!?

Apparently BOTH weapons need to be light and for some odd reason, rapiers are not light weapons...

Why not wait until the PHB comes out? Maybe there will be a swashbuckler subclass for the fighter? Or a feat.

Paraxis

Explorer
There was a feat in the playtest that among other things let you have one non-light weapon.

If rapiers were light, people would not use rapier/dagger they would use rapier/rapier.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
The TWF rules are one of the few things I dislike about this edition. They exclude perfectly reasonable combinations, like the one mentioned above. As a house rule, I will allow any one-handed weapon to be used with TWF, at the cost of a -2 penalty on attack rolls if the weapon isn't light.

Sonny

Adventurer
I think needing a feat to use TWF with one weapon that's not light works fine. Provided it's still in the PH in August.

Also, Falling Icicle's house rule looks good too.

drjones

Explorer
This is Basic D&D. Basic. Until the standard and modular portions are available, it's not time to start complaining that character concept X is not possible.

Personally, I thought the TWF rules are a step up from the 4e model which was very constrained in a desire to make all styles mathematically identical in effect.

"Dual  Wielder
You  master  fighting  with  two  weapons.  You  gain
the  following  benefits:
• You  gain  proficiency  with  all  martial  light
melee  weapons.
• You  have  a  +1  bonus  to  AC  while  you  wield  a
different  weapon  in  each  hand  and  neither
weapon  is  a  shield.
• When  you  engage  in  two-­‐weapon  fighting,  only
one  of  the  melee  weapons  needs  to  be  light.  "

Sorts that out, I think.

sidonunspa

First Post
Fair enough...

Still dislike it,

Btw the 'dead to me' was an attempt at being sarcastic

(Seeing how many 'I'll never play this additon because of X and Y" posts we have seen

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Btw the 'dead to me' was an attempt at being sarcastic

(Seeing how many 'I'll never play this additon because of X and Y" posts we have seen

And, for that same reason (it is common) means that folks are apt to take it as a real statement, rather than sarcasm.

Remove ads