• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e is dead to me! Almost, TWF issue..

Bryk

First Post
You gain a +1 bonus to AC while youare
wielding a different melee weapon in each
hand.
• You can use two weapon fighting even when
the one handed melee weapons you are
wielding aren’t light.
• You can draw or stow two one handed
weapons when you would normally be able to
draw or stow only one.

sidonunspa

First Post
That is one valid option.

Personally, since I would be treating the dagger identically to a shield mechanically, if the player wanted to throw or attack with it I would use the rules for an Improvised Weapon (Pg. 46) with the justification that a dagger made for parrying won't be balanced for attacking or throwing as a normal dagger would.

But he would still be able to use it in melee as a dagger.. so it's still better then any shield

JC99

Explorer
But he would still be able to use it in melee as a dagger.. so it's still better then any shield
I don't see a problem with using a shield as an improvised weapon either, especially considering D&D Basic lacks any other rules that would allow a shield bash attack.

sidonunspa

First Post
I don't see a problem with using a shield as an improvised weapon either, especially considering D&D Basic lacks any other rules that would allow a shield bash attack.

Fair enough... but I fail to see how the parrying dagger would be a improved weapon when used in melee...

but I doubt that would work with some GM's I know (aka "by the book" ones.. and yes they exist.... I just write my own additional rules for my campaigns.)

You seem like a fine/flexible GM :)

JC99

Explorer
Fair enough... but I fail to see how the parrying dagger would be a improved weapon when used in melee...

Because like I already said, it would be treated 100% as a shield as mechanics go. Any player who tried to argue "But I'm proficient in daggers so I should treat it as a normal weapon attack!" would be politely asked to stop trying to game the rulings. They can have a dagger for off-hand attacks, or for defense, but not both. (Until the PHB offers some more options for TWF characters!)

sidonunspa

First Post
Because like I already said, it would be treated 100% as a shield as mechanics go. Any player who tried to argue "But I'm proficient in daggers so I should treat it as a normal weapon attack!" would be politely asked to stop trying to game the rulings. They can have a dagger for off-hand attacks, or for defense, but not both. (Until the PHB offers some more options for TWF characters!)

like I said, your reasonable :p

JC99

Explorer
like I said, your reasonable :p
Thank you!

That is a case of a very simple item reskinning, so it doesn't really affect the game or plot.

Although I just had a hilarious image pop into my head of a fighter who (in character) thinks that his shield is a dagger.

"You see a tall human enter the room carrying a longsword and a shield."
"It's not a shield, it's a dagger."
"The human sees you looking over his gear, and insists that his shield is in fact a dagger."

Remove ads