D&D 5E 5e Low Magic....again

That is the plan, but what is the give and take. If I remove spells from 5th level and higher, what do I give back to maintain the balance? A hit die, more skills, a feat?

That is what is what I am trying to sort out right now.
First it takes players that want to play this game.
martial, and half caster won’t be bother.
full caster, will have to multi class. Will it be optimal? surely not, but considering the setup it can offer new opportunities. maybe add some features to help unusual MC mix.

I find amazing the material some provide here.
but more simply, remove all spells of level 5 and higher.
You can also curate the spell list a bit for spells of 5th or lower. Either remove them entirely or make the spell only work situationally. For instance, you could remove all spells that revive the dead or make it require a very rare component.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That is the plan, but what is the give and take. If I remove spells from 5th level and higher, what do I give back to maintain the balance? A hit die, more skills, a feat?

More spell slots??? Another thing is you can remove the spells of higher level, but retain the slot potential allowing casters to upcast into those higher slots. It is something I explored in my L12 variant.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

I think a central question is "How quickly do you want the PCs to have access to higher level spells?" Keeping them to 5th level and below is a common approach for low-magic variants; but do you want them to get access to those 5th level spells at level 9 (like a wizard or cleric does now) or later on (say, at level 17 like a paladin or ranger)?

Remove ads