D&D 5E 5e Low Magic....again

Redfinger

Villager
HI guys, I joined this forum so I can explore some ideas. I have been doing some research and searching many forums. It seems that when people talk a low magic setting, it kind of defaults to this dark mystery, sorcery, necromancy type setting....that is not the type of low magic setting I am trying to create.

In my homebrew setting, magic is new. There was a cataclysm almost 1000's years ago, people are now rediscovering magic and its uses. SP magic is really evil or even associated with evil, it is just new and mysterious. People are unsure of what it does.

I have read a few systems with a low magic flare to try and get some ideas. Adventures in Middle Earth, lots of home-brew type settings and a low fantasy setting PDF that I found on Drivethrurpg.

I would love to hear some feedback from those who have actually used some of these systems, how did they work, what were the draw backs.

For me, I want to find or alter a system that still has Wizard types, Cleric Types and such, but that are not so magic focused. Maybe even take one of the hybrid classes and reskin it to be a wizard or cleric.

I would allow the fighter, rogue, barbarian and reskin ranger to be with out spells. I like some of the classes in the Middle Earth source book, probably will use them. I also like the Loremaster, but am struggling with figuring out how to grant that class some spells.

Anyway, I did find this PDF and rather like it, including the approach to spells. I may use this and the spell list in the Loremaster book to recreate the class. I have no idea who made it as the website it was hosted on is no longer working.

Anyway I would love feedback...

Attachments

• Low Magic with Spells.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 556

Li Shenron

Legend
For me, I want to find or alter a system that still has Wizard types, Cleric Types and such, but that are not so magic focused. Maybe even take one of the hybrid classes and reskin it to be a wizard or cleric.

Way to go. If you reduce spellcasters significantly but still want magic, then you might want to re-use the structure of the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster. Change the allowed schools of magic, or make custom spells lists. Replace base/subclass abilities that you find inappropriate.

Fanaelialae

Legend
An easy option might be to restrict magic using classes to multi-class only. Then only allow 1 level of caster class for every x character levels you have (maybe only half you levels can be caster, or only 1 in 4). Then the loremaster can choose whether to gain spells or remain more of a sage.

That would, admittedly, make such characters somewhat underpowered in a typical D&D game. However, if magic is essentially new in your setting, there could be hidden benefits. For example, people in the world wouldn't know how to deal with it. Magical attacks might prompt morale checks from NPCs, who might find the display of a simple burning hands spell terrifying. Characters with magic likely would have an easy time getting out of jail cells, since the guards probably don't know to gag and blindfold spellcasters. So on and so forth.

I've never done precisely this, but I have played casters in modern settings and it typically results in magic being much more powerful than in standard D&D. Nobody in the modern world would think to look out for something even as simple as Disguise Self. Without significant evidence to the contrary, people would literally take it at face value.

Redfinger

Villager
An easy option might be to restrict magic using classes to multi-class only. Then only allow 1 level of caster class for every x character levels you have (maybe only half you levels can be caster, or only 1 in 4). Then the loremaster can choose whether to gain spells or remain more of a sage.

That would, admittedly, make such characters somewhat underpowered in a typical D&D game. However, if magic is essentially new in your setting, there could be hidden benefits. For example, people in the world wouldn't know how to deal with it. Magical attacks might prompt morale checks from NPCs, who might find the display of a simple burning hands spell terrifying. Characters with magic likely would have an easy time getting out of jail cells, since the guards probably don't know to gag and blindfold spellcasters. So on and so forth.

I've never done precisely this, but I have played casters in modern settings and it typically results in magic being much more powerful than in standard D&D. Nobody in the modern world would think to look out for something even as simple as Disguise Self. Without significant evidence to the contrary, people would literally take it at face value.

I was actually looking at the Ranger spell progression. If I limit a Wizard's spells, I need to give him something to replace.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd drop all the full caster classes, and then use Artificer, Paladin, and Ranger as the corollary to Wizard, Cleric, and Druid in the world. Add in some custom subclasses to get any flavor you'd like to add to the world (like Bardic or Warlock themes).

Redfinger

Villager
I find amazing the material some provide here.
but more simply, remove all spells of level 5 and higher.

That is the plan, but what is the give and take. If I remove spells from 5th level and higher, what do I give back to maintain the balance? A hit die, more skills, a feat?

That is what is what I am trying to sort out right now.

Remove ads