D&D 2E 5e monsters and spells in ad&d 2e

Terraproxy

First Post
Hi there!

I have a silly question:
what would happen if I use 5e monsters and spells in a 2e campaign?
I mean, not converted or anything, just drop the stuff as it is against the pcs created with the 2e system.
I'm saying this because I'm totally new to tabletop gaming and I could not find backwards conversion guides...
(I found lots of guides about older modules being converted to 5e and some about 3e to 2e, but nothing specific about 5e to 2e... don't know if it's possible to begin with:-S)
I kind of heard that 5e returns to the feeling of pre d20 systems, so I thought that maybe ad&d and 5e are not that different?
maybe I missed the discussions in here about all of this, so if someone has the links and is willing to share I'll love you forever:eek:
Also, I don't particularly care for perfect balance. I play alone, so as long the scenes are satisfactory I'm set, in fact, the more unbanlced is against pcs the better!:devil:
thank you all for time!;)

Last edited:

TBeholder

Explorer
what would happen if I use 5e monsters and spells in a 2e campaign?
Which ones, and why?
And more specifically - which ones you couldn't find in AD&D2 sources?
I kind of heard that 5e returns to the feeling of pre d20 systems, so I thought that maybe ad&d and 5e are not that different?
Not really.
IMHO it's more of a backport. Mix of elements from D&D3, 4 and retroclones (like C&C).
I mean, not converted or anything, just drop the stuff as it is against the pcs created with the 2e system.
How do you imagine it? They aren't fully compatible.
Anyway, depends on the level. Consider that in D&D5 magic is nerfed from D&D3 in ridiculous ways, while in AD&D2 not only spells like Hold Person don't allow saving throws every round, but there's Hold Undead (and Hold Vapour) on the list, and Web works properly, and so on.

Terraproxy

First Post
Perhaps this needs some context:
I am actually trying to run a fading suns campaign with the system of ad&d 2e because I loved everything about fading suns except the victory point system. AT first I thought of 5e, but it doesn't have psionics, I don't know anything about 4e and I heard pretty nasty things of 3e. The only system I heard it was mostly ok was ad&d, So that leaves 2e as the only choice.

Another chief reason for this is because 2e has the skills and powers source books. MY main plan is to use that book to translate the character creation point system of fading suns into the 2e customization system.
IM also planning to translate things from new wold of darkness into 2e, specifically vampire, werewolf,changeling,Geist and princess.

in short, I want to run a fading suns themed campaign with the 2e system with new world of darkness elements as unlockable prestige classes. (Heroic noir horror in a science fantasy)

My only real problem are the monsters, I really liked the 5e monsters that are for sale in dmguild and rpgnow (there are a faerun, raven loft and planar bestiaries for for 5e and there is a huge book called tome of beasts).
I just couldn't find a guide to a backwards conversion, so I just thought, since I heard skills and powers kind of destroys the normal monsters of 2e because of crazy customization, maybe the 5e monsters as they are could prove a better challenge because they are already very customized in contrast to normal 2e monsters.

Finally, I'm a lone gamer. I will be using the mythic gm emulator to make a massive one player pve campaign, so I don't particularly care for balance, in fact, the more unbanlaced is the setting against me, the better.

Last edited:

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
Do you plan on converting the ascending ACs and attack bonuses into descending AC and THAC0? Or perhaps the reverse of that for the PCs?

The calculation isn't too hard. Roughly THACO = 20 - attack bonus and descending AC = 20 - ascending AC.

So an attack bonus of +4 in 5e would be roughly equivalent to THAC0 16 and a 5e AC of 17 would be roughly equivalent to 2e AC 3.

Terraproxy

First Post
Oh thank you!
My first retro conversion guide! ;)
I suppose I will go with the first option regarding thac0 , what I don't have a clear idea of what to is with the actions of the monsters that add some bonus to the special attacks and saves. I get that it uses the 5e system, so should I translate it to 2e as in increment of hit dice and maybe treat it as a special type of damage? (Frost, fire, psychic, etc).
Regarding saves I was just planning to add them to 2e monsters as if they were saves from pcs. In fact, I'm willing to use skills and powers to add customized pc stats to monsters in order to simulate the stats in 5e.

Last edited:

TBeholder

Explorer
Perhaps this needs some context:
I am actually trying to run a fading suns campaign with the system of ad&d 2e because I loved everything about fading suns except the victory point system.
Fading Suns? IMHO any *D&D isn't the best engine to run FS.
There was a conversion to Savage Worlds.
If you want your own, the most obvious choice is another tri-stat, e.g. Forgotten Futures. The second most obvious choice is d10 (Warhammer Fantasy RP / Warhammer 40k RP).

AT first I thought of 5e, but it doesn't have psionics, I don't know anything about 4e and I heard pretty nasty things of 3e. The only system I heard it was mostly ok was ad&d, So that leaves 2e as the only choice.
Well, yeah.
But does this matter? FS differs sufficiently that no matter which core you'll use, you'll need to convert both types of powers into it rather than substitute anyway.

Another chief reason for this is because 2e has the skills and powers source books. MY main plan is to use that book to translate the character creation point system of fading suns into the 2e customization system.
IM also planning to translate things from new wold of darkness into 2e, specifically vampire, werewolf,changeling,Geist and princess.
PO is good. Though half-baked and doesn't have an usable psionics system either. ;)
FS could just as well be translated to Stars Without Number (it's something like a space/post-apocalyptic D&D retroclone - rather close) which uses skill points (you will still need to tweak psionics). Even with free books (core + Mandate Archives) you can emulate a lot.

Also, if you think "Lifepaths" system (from free optional supplement for FS2, for chargen using ready themed packages, such as "Faction: Noble, House Hazat + Upbringing: Rural Estate + Apprenticeship: Military + Early Career: Questing") was a good idea, SWN already uses background and training skill packages.
40k RP is point-buy, except without the middleman (character points) - you spend XP directly on advances. And it goes on a gleeful rampage with alternate ranks (variant levels) and advancement packages.
Alternity is also point-buy, and has branching skill system. And good spaceship rules with free add-on Warships.

in short, I want to run a fading suns themed campaign with the 2e system with new world of darkness elements as unlockable prestige classes. (Heroic noir horror in a science fantasy)
If you want "unlockable prestige classes", Elite Advancement Packages from WH40 RP - if the character meets prerequisites, at any time just spend XP, apply immediate changes if any, and then it allows to "buy" advances from the associated list in addition to what the class/level normally provides.

Terraproxy

First Post
Fading Suns? IMHO any *D&D isn't the best engine to run FS.
There was a conversion to Savage Worlds.
If you want your own, the most obvious choice is another tri-stat, e.g. Forgotten Futures. The second most obvious choice is d10 (Warhammer Fantasy RP / Warhammer 40k RP).

Well, yeah.
But does this matter? FS differs sufficiently that no matter which core you'll use, you'll need to convert both types of powers into it rather than substitute anyway.

PO is good. Though half-baked and doesn't have an usable psionics system either. ;)
FS could just as well be translated to Stars Without Number (it's something like a space/post-apocalyptic D&D retroclone - rather close) which uses skill points (you will still need to tweak psionics). Even with free books (core + Mandate Archives) you can emulate a lot.

Also, if you think "Lifepaths" system (from free optional supplement for FS2, for chargen using ready themed packages, such as "Faction: Noble, House Hazat + Upbringing: Rural Estate + Apprenticeship: Military + Early Career: Questing") was a good idea, SWN already uses background and training skill packages.
40k RP is point-buy, except without the middleman (character points) - you spend XP directly on advances. And it goes on a gleeful rampage with alternate ranks (variant levels) and advancement packages.
Alternity is also point-buy, and has branching skill system. And good spaceship rules with free add-on Warships.

If you want "unlockable prestige classes", Elite Advancement Packages from WH40 RP - if the character meets prerequisites, at any time just spend XP, apply immediate changes if any, and then it allows to "buy" advances from the associated list in addition to what the class/level normally provides.

first of all, thank you very much for your time!
I really appreciate all of your suggestions, the thing is, I had no idea those exited in the first place, so a lot of your mechanical explanation flew over my head... still, thank for your insight, it's never late to broaden horizons.

I think you believe I want a sci fi setting. I really don't like that sci fi that much, but I start to like it a lot when it revolves about magitech. What I want is a perfect hybrid of sci and fantasy, and most of your suggestions appeared to relvove around hard sci fi. I actually choose fading suns because tv tropes promised that no matter how sci fi the setiing is, you can always flavour it as fantasy, if my memory serves me right, they said fading suns is as fantasy as you want to to be. Well ok, I want it 33% fantasy 33% sci fi and 33% a combination of both. (Elf techno-psi druids vs magi-cyber warlock orcs in spaceships fueled by elementals)

for this reasoning alone I thought of D&D, to try to reach those percentages. I also choose D&D because I want to steampunkify the sci fi part, and since I heard that conversions between 3.5 and 2e are not super hard,I plan to steal a lot of stuff from eberron, not to mention I really want a horror atmosphere to all of this, so I will also steal from ravenloft a lot.

I have heard that players options is indeed iffy, but again, tv tropes promised me that a careful use of them could put martials and spell casters in more equal ground, so I'm willing to risk it if only because I don't see any other alternative to blend flavourly and mechanically fading suns, D&D and new world of darkness.

Finally, regarding psionics, I just planned to steal them both from eberron and dark sun and run them accordingly to vanilla 2e. The reasoning for the prestige classes was based on adapting the abilities of supernaturals as unlockable pcs kits customized with player options. Because I ultimately want to be a steamtech_psi Magic girl elf warrior fueled with the arcane power of love against a magi_steamcyber werewolf dwarf Cleric fueled with the eldritch power of chaos, I don't think war hammer 40,000 would that useful.

All of this is precisely why I just want to steal te 5e monsters as they are. The 2e monsters are very bland in comparation, and since my pcs will be super customized, I know they will tear them apart. The 5e monsters have a lot of statues and abilities, I thought they could be comparable to my high custom pcs, even if they end up not being that much of a challenge, I have several house rules planned to limit my pcs in power, such as permanent curse and corruption from magic abuse or crippling madness for cyber abuse. And if everything fails, I'll just buff the monsters to the max.

in the end, balance is the least of my worries, I want a unbanlanced campaign against me, I don't even care for pc optimization. If the result of this is sub optimal pcs against powerful monsters , I'm all for it. I simply wish a decent mechanically runnable campaign, perfect balance be damned. So, in all honestly, if I do all of the above... what are my chances for success? (If you say 40% or above I will make an important pc in your name!)

Last edited:

Remove ads