Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

Barolo

First Post
First time I read, I was thinking the same, than many questions about how can I abuse some effects or order of effects solving start to pop in my mind. I questioned if I was reading it right. Just to be sure I asked to Jeremy Crawford and got the most disappointed answer: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/843204145767100416

Well, that surely limits a lot its usefulness. And also, why bother to have the "one action" cost to activate the pool if there is no time limit to use the points? I mean, the way Crawford proposes, the 17th level mystic could just wake up and activate all their special pools for later use?

I can understand that is an abuse I use 3 times 1 psi point Hammer of Inquisition in one target (just to be sure that he'll fail in one), than use Punishing Fury and Shadow Beasts all with one action. Or whirlwind to change all positions, Push, to push two enemis that resisted to the area and than blast Psychic Crush. But in fact, even so, isn't as powerful as a level 8 spell.
If Psionic Mastery work with only one action, would be great and fun to use it, but isn't overpowered at all.

Oh, I would not understand from my first interpretation it would be legal to just activate the very same power over and over again with the same pool.

I think that the 1-7 psi effects should add damage in talents (as happen with weapon ones), instead of only do damage. Is hard to burn 5 psi points to do 5d10 when you could do 4d10+5 for 0.
probably 1 psi point would give just the effect, no damage add, at 2 would be +1 dice, and so.

Well, this part really seems a little bit clumsy right now, but I also find damaging spells using low level slots when playing at higher levels quite underwhelming.

Funkadelik

First Post
I'm trying to make a character but I am stumped. On pg3 is states at level one you get 1 discipline but for Order of the Avatar (for example) says you get to additional disciplines. Does this mean at level 1 you have access to 3 disciplines?

Xeviat

Hero
I'm trying to make a character but I am stumped. On pg3 is states at level one you get 1 discipline but for Order of the Avatar (for example) says you get to additional disciplines. Does this mean at level 1 you have access to 3 disciplines?

Yes. You get one from all of them, and two from the Avatar disciplines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads

Remove ads