D&D 5E 5e Psionics Handbook: What would it look like?

Stalker0

Legend
Honestly if they really want to do psionics.....it should not be the same as magic. It needs to be different....or else why have it really? If its just magic with some different spells....I mean that's a school of magic not "psionics".

Psionic casters should work different from magic. Whether its non-vancian power points....maybe its at-will with some kind of fatigue/recovery system....maybe its all rituals and communal casting.....whatever. Just give me something other than "Vancian spell slots".....we already have that.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Honestly if they really want to do psionics.....it should not be the same as magic. It needs to be different....or else why have it really? If its just magic with some different spells....I mean that's a school of magic not "psionics".

Psionic casters should work different from magic. Whether its non-vancian power points....maybe its at-will with some kind of fatigue/recovery system....maybe its all rituals and communal casting.....whatever. Just give me something other than "Vancian spell slots".....we already have that.
Have you taken a look at KibblesTasty's design? And uses PowerPoints but it also uses pumpable essentially cantrips rather than automatically leveling cantrips so that you can do very different things with your limited selection over the course of a day.

They also use a progression for PowerPoints similar to a monk's ki points and have them recharge on a short rest so that they are a lot like warlocks in the short rest / long rest debate.

shameless plug of free content 5e - Psion (KibblesTasty) by KibblesTasty

Seriously. It's really great. And I'm one of those whackos who enjoyed 2e's Psionic Combat Rules, not just the Psionic Powers.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Have you taken a look at KibblesTasty's design? And uses PowerPoints but it also uses pumpable essentially cantrips rather than automatically leveling cantrips so that you can do very different things with your limited selection over the course of a day.

They also use a progression for PowerPoints similar to a monk's ki points and have them recharge on a short rest so that they are a lot like warlocks in the short rest / long rest debate.

shameless plug of free content 5e - Psion (KibblesTasty) by KibblesTasty

Seriously. It's really great. And I'm one of those whackos who enjoyed 2e's Psionic Combat Rules, not just the Psionic Powers.
I would want more spells and subclasses if I am honest.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You, my friend, are in luck!

Psion - Expanded Options by KibblesTasty KibblesTasty just keeps writing.

Wandering Mind: Psychoportation
Elemental Mind: Envirokinetics
Consuming Mind: Psionic Vampire.
Precognition: What it says on the tin!
I'd note, also, that KT is also putting out a new psionic subclass for pretty much every class in his Kickstarted book. I think a lot of them are up on his website.

Psionics need a story. That's why this supplement doesn't work. Everything in 5E is story represented by mechanics; that's what has been stated, and that's what the game is.

It's really easy to come up with places in stories for Psionics. But a Psionics Supplement will need a clever name, will need a setting or story or adventure to go with it, and will need to present genre-emulation tropes and advice on how to do it, ala Ravenloft.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Psionics need a story. That's why this supplement doesn't work. Everything in 5E is story represented by mechanics; that's what has been stated, and that's what the game is.

It's really easy to come up with places in stories for Psionics. But a Psionics Supplement will need a clever name, will need a setting or story or adventure to go with it, and will need to present genre-emulation tropes and advice on how to do it, ala Ravenloft.
I mean... Pretty much everything needs a story.

And then you have Tasha's Cauldron of Everything which has no story whatsoever, boatloads of character options, DM advice, and stuff. Including Psionic Subclasses with no story tied to them, or even description of tropes or advice on how to use it.

I at least put that kinda stuff in Chapter 3...

That said... It'd be far more likely the Psion will just be a part of a Dark Sun setting guide, then presented as a more "Generic" version in a later book. Like Artificer was in Eberron and then Tasha's. And I'm cool with that.

But also? This proposed book could totally -be- that second book. Just sayin'.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
You, my friend, are in luck!

Psion - Expanded Options by KibblesTasty KibblesTasty just keeps writing.

Wandering Mind: Psychoportation
Elemental Mind: Envirokinetics
Consuming Mind: Psionic Vampire.
Precognition: What it says on the tin!
Psychoportation is like five spell total it should be a sub school.
Envirokinetics terrible name but might work mystic had one like this.
Consuming Mind is a list of damaging spells, not a full class.
Precognition too much like wizard it would have far too much overlap.

I say we go with big stuff and give each subclass a cool name, I have no idea on names.
mind is your telepathy, emotions and mind to mind stuff hits out more psy damage than mind flayers on drugs
reality is telekinetic and lives to impose what they think the world should be might want to be able to flash forge and squad of battle tulpa.
body is healing, changing your body from size-shifting to pure body horror, might have a name for this one and they would fit in that Ravnica book.
soul, deals with anything to do with souls from resurrection to eating them to gain power so can deal the dead or being blue mage by the way of shang tsung, might tossing the Psychoportation give souls get to go everywhere, less making of undead to not compete with the necromancer.

do not merge psychic warrior in as I have a mean half caster idea for it.

I mean... Pretty much everything needs a story.

And then you have Tasha's Cauldron of Everything which has no story whatsoever, boatloads of character options, DM advice, and stuff. Including Psionic Subclasses with no story tied to them, or even description of tropes or advice on how to use it.

I at least put that kinda stuff in Chapter 3...

That said... It'd be far more likely the Psion will just be a part of a Dark Sun setting guide, then presented as a more "Generic" version in a later book. Like Artificer was in Eberron and then Tasha's. And I'm cool with that.

But also? This proposed book could totally -be- that second book. Just sayin'.
Tasha's and Xanathars are in their own region.

Then you have Volo's and Mordekainen with their story elements and bestiaries.

Then you have the setting guides and other things.

This is just how 5E operates now. A pure psionic's book needs to be coupled with something, like using Psionics in a story, making setting elements from it, and so on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases