• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Would you take a replacement (I could even take over the character if that would be easier for the story and with Foxbytes permission)?
Other than that, I'm looking to widen my scope, I didn't play much since 4e living went down, two games at the max, PF and 5e. At one time I played in 7 and kept pace so I shouldn't have much trouble. And I never abandoned a game (the reverse is not true :( ;) )

If yes, I'd need some time to a) create the character (probably over the weekend) and b) read the story (if I may take over) - recently one of the games I'm in closed and wild sorcerer of 2nd level was left homeless - that would save some time in building if he fits.

Quickleaf

Legend
Would you take a replacement (I could even take over the character if that would be easier for the story and with Foxbytes permission)?
Other than that, I'm looking to widen my scope, I didn't play much since 4e living went down, two games at the max, PF and 5e. At one time I played in 7 and kept pace so I shouldn't have much trouble. And I never abandoned a game (the reverse is not true :( ;) )

If yes, I'd need some time to a) create the character (probably over the weekend) and b) read the story (if I may take over) - recently one of the games I'm in closed and wild sorcerer of 2nd level was left homeless - that would save some time in building if he fits.

Hi Neurotic :) All the way from Croatia, wow!

Nothing is worse than a mismatch, so I like to do some light screening to avoid that. So far you seem pretty sensible, your timing is good as the game is in a period of flux (losing Foxbytes as a player, possibly losing Jago as well), and you have good history on ENWorld – those are all good signs to me. But let me ask a couple questions...

1. What style of gamer are you? If you had to "type" yourself, what would your player "type" be?
2. Have you read any of the in-character play for our Al-Qadim game? If not, go do so (link in the OP). Does our narrative focus seem like a good fit for your style?
3. Do you have experience playing Al-Qadim? If not, do you feel you have a grasp of the setting? How would you describe its unique feel in a sentence?

I think it might be better to play your own character, just so [MENTION=6866331]Foxbytes[/MENTION] doesn't lose authorship of her PC Najiyah and in case she decides to come back at some point. The departing PC was a sorcerer, so another sorcerer replacement could work just fine.

Neurotic

I never played Al-Qadim and may have to rethink my character, but I can re-skin quickly.

I played in many settings so it shouldn't really be a problem.

1. I played in various systems: wild swinging fighter, earth elemental (reskinned warfoged), shadow dancer, spell thief, a priest (most), monk and warlock (social).

I never played a wizard - too many fiddly bits.

1. As a player, I'm tactically minded and assertive, I find myself often giving orders - which others are ofcourse free to disobey :) This depends on the character, I played low int paladin that never heard of tactics, but that was hard, I never played such again - I tolerate (barely) the players who think they can order others around and feel the entitlement both from others and DM. I've been known to cause such players to rage-quit. I am willing to compromise and find the way to work in-game for any combination (LG paladin and CN drow warlock for example) as long as both players are willing to work to make it work.

2. I didn't read, first because I didn't know if you'll take me, second, it's been only several hours and third, maybe you'd prefer to introduce the character who doesn't know what is happening

3. Just by the name, I'd go with 1001 arabian nights setting - I need a day to read-up on it. At its worst, it could approach DarkSun.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Reading now - I just realised this is 11th level :) closest to it that I have is either bard (lore) or fighter. The sorcerer needs some work...starting on it right now, but I can adapt one of the others if you need me quickly.

How would you handle wild sorcerer casting (wild surge generation)?

Quickleaf

Legend
1. As a player, I'm tactically minded and assertive, I find myself often giving orders - which others are ofcourse free to disobey :) This depends on the character, I played low int paladin that never heard of tactics, but that was hard, I never played such again - I tolerate (barely) the players who think they can order others around and feel the entitlement both from others and DM. I've been known to cause such players to rage-quit. I am willing to compromise and find the way to work in-game for any combination (LG paladin and CN drow warlock for example) as long as both players are willing to work to make it work.

2. I didn't read, first because I didn't know if you'll take me, second, it's been only several hours and third, maybe you'd prefer to introduce the character who doesn't know what is happening

3. Just by the name, I'd go with 1001 arabian nights setting - I need a day to read-up on it. At its worst, it could approach DarkSun.

Hmm. Well, to be honest, I'm a bit concerned about you being a tactical player and comparing Al-Qadim to Dark Sun. It's possible the more narrative / Arabian fairytale vibe to AL-Qadim might not be a good a fit for what you're looking for.

Neurotic

I'm not looking for hack and slash, if that is what you worry about. This sorcerer in particular was peace maker, negotiator, not a blaster. I play in one big narrative and preparata to enter political campaign if that helps.

Anyhow, if you think I wouldn't fit, it is your game.
You can check my play in mips42 lost mine for this sorcerer play style. I play each character as fits his personality.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm not looking for hack and slash, if that is what you worry about. This sorcerer in particular was peace maker, negotiator, not a blaster. I play in one big narrative and preparata to enter political campaign if that helps.

Anyhow, if you think I wouldn't fit, it is your game.
You can check my play in mips42 lost mine for this sorcerer play style. I play each character as fits his personality.

I'm sorry, after reviewing the play in Lost Mine, I don't this game is a good match for you.

Neurotic

No problem, thank you for considering it. Check Tideruler of Maran for different character ☺I'll read the adventure anyhow.

Good playing to you all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads