D&D 5E 5e Ready Action - Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.

Athinar

Explorer
Remember that you can take only one reaction per round.

First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose
to move up to your speed in response to it. Examples include “If the cultist steps on the trapdoor, I’ll pull the lever that opens it,” and “If the goblin steps next to me, I move away.”

What response to say the Character Ready's a attack with a bow if the character sees an orc come around a corner the character will let lose of the arrow,

Is this response okay?

What "Reactions" will allow a character or even a monster to "Ready" and then attack?

neogod22

Explorer
Yes that response is ok. In my experience that's how readied actions are always used. "I'm readying my action to attack the first enemy I see, or get within my range."

Satyrn

First Post
Is this response okay?

What "Reactions" will allow a character or even a monster to "Ready" and then attack?
As neogod says, that's probably the most common use of Ready.

My suggestion is that anything that sounds halfway reasonable should allow it.

Athinar

Explorer
The opportunity attack, described later in this chapter, is the most common type of reaction.

So you use your Reaction to take your Turn

Last edited:

Athinar

Explorer
So a Bowman Ready's his or her bow with the response being "if I see a someone casting a spell I will try to hit and disrupt the casting"; If the shot hit, the spell caster must take a CN DC roll of 10 or half the damage to cast the spell,

is this okay?

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
But the problem is an Attack is an Action or Bonus Action or a Reaction (Feat)
An attack is part of the attack action, but sometimes you get an attack as part of a bonus action (i.e. off hand atrack) or reaction(i.e. opportunity attack) in which case, you seldom get more than one attack in that fashion.

neogod22

Explorer
So a Bowman Ready's his or her bow with the response being "if I see a someone casting a spell I will try to hit and disrupt the casting"; If the shot hit, the spell caster must take a CN DC roll of 10 or half the damage to cast the spell,

is this okay?
No, unless they had an ability that allows them to do that like the monster player's counterspell ability.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

is this okay?

It depends on what you mean by "disrupt the casting." The resolution you propose sounds like the intent is to force the caster to make a Constitution saving throw to maintain Concentration on the spell, which would imply the spell has already been cast.

There is no way to prevent someone from casting a spell with a weapon attack as far as I know. Outside of killing them or somehow incapacitating them.

Remove ads