D&D 5E 5E skills and how to use them

xoth.publishing

Swords against tentacles!
Skills in D&D 5E are very loosely defined. This is a feature, not a bug. It keeps the rules simple and allows for fast play. No skill system, no matter how detailed, can cover all eventualities, so the 5E system doesn’t even try, instead letting the GM make rulings when necessary.

Some players, particularly those coming from a 3E background, may be uncomfortable with the lack of detailed skill descriptions in the 5E rules. For my own group's use, I put together a document which aims to bridge the gap between editions, by collecting and presenting some specific rules for skill use in 5E.

It takes as the starting point the general skill definitions from 5E, adds specific skill-based rules from the 5E PHB and DMG to the degree that they exist, imports a few things from 3E/PF, and adds a few house rules. The goal is definitely not to end up with a fully detailed system, just to have some specific rules for common situations.

Just sharing it here, in case it is useful for anyone else. Let me know what you think in the comments below! :geek:

Strider1973

Explorer
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your work! The Skill System is one of the things I like less of D&D 5e, and I'm always interested in ways to better refine and define it, while maintaining its simplicity. In fact, I'm hoping for some refinement of it in One D&D, but I don't think this is something Wizards of the Coast is going to prioritize as a game design aspect: thanks again!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Nice document. My issues are more around the lack of engagement in leveling and the skill system. You set it and forget it at level one and then that's it. I do like the flexibility of 5E system, its just sort of boring when it comes to chargen. I wish my character could do more to specialize, improve, and be versatile.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Nice document. My issues are more around the lack of engagement in leveling and the skill system. You set it and forget it at level one and then that's it. I do like the flexibility of 5E system, its just sort of boring when it comes to chargen. I wish my character could do more to specialize, improve, and be versatile.

Sounds like Level Up Advanced 5E is for you then.
I found a lot of it to be more than I want, but piecemeal there is a lot to pick and choose from along those lines.

xoth.publishing

I'm hoping for some refinement of it in One D&D, but I don't think this is something Wizards of the Coast is going to prioritize as a game design aspect
I also doubt they will develop the skill system much (and I'm fine with that, I don't want it to become another PF again...!). But they could improve what they already have by better editing and organization of the new PHB and DMG, gathering everything in one place instead of scattering various bits and pieces across different books and chapters. (This could also be said about rules for hiding, exploration, etc, etc...)

clearstream

(He, Him)
Skills in D&D 5E are very loosely defined. This is a feature, not a bug. It keeps the rules simple and allows for fast play. No skill system, no matter how detailed, can cover all eventualities, so the 5E system doesn’t even try, instead letting the GM make rulings when necessary.

Some players, particularly those coming from a 3E background, may be uncomfortable with the lack of detailed skill descriptions in the 5E rules. For my own group's use, I put together a document which aims to bridge the gap between editions, by collecting and presenting some specific rules for skill use in 5E.

It takes as the starting point the general skill definitions from 5E, adds specific skill-based rules from the 5E PHB and DMG to the degree that they exist, imports a few things from 3E/PF, and adds a few house rules. The goal is definitely not to end up with a fully detailed system, just to have some specific rules for common situations.

Just sharing it here, in case it is useful for anyone else. Let me know what you think in the comments below! :geek:

Were they to associate DCs with their examples, that could have a useful normative effect. They have done that implicitly with DCs in published adventures. You can find those collated online somewhere.

As a minor quibble, you jump DC looks incorrect to me. A STR20 char can jump 20' without rolling. Per your calibration, their roll is most likely clearing 15', hanging on by fingernails 19', and falling at 20'. I know they would not roll, but hopefully it illustrates the problem.

I use - you can clear roll*2' with a run up, and roll without, or roll*1/2, high jump, or 3+mod without. So STR20 clears 20' with no roll, and may clear up to 50' with roll. That's 20' further than world record. They can high jump 8' with no roll, or up to 12' 6" with roll. 4' higher than world record.

As background, I take STR20 to be that of mythological heroes. Not any real world person.

xoth.publishing

Were they to associate DCs with their examples, that could have a useful normative effect.

Where applicable, I've left the original text from the 5E PHB and put in specific DCs for the examples given.

As a minor quibble, you jump DC looks incorrect to me. A STR20 char can jump 20' without rolling. Per your calibration, their roll is most likely clearing 15', hanging on by fingernails 19', and falling at 20'. I know they would not roll, but hopefully it illustrates the problem.
Yes, I have deviated from the RAW here.

The official rules have this as "When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump."
and
"When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3 + your Strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. (...) In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump higher than you normally can."

So by RAW, you can long jump only up to your Strength score (and no further). And only the high jump text mentions that you may (possibly) make a check to jump higher. At the very least, the long jump text should also have similar language, ie "In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump longer than you normally can."

Instead of the RAW, I've actually used text from Pathfinder for climbing. I guess you could always fall back to the RAW and say that you don't have to roll for any long jump DCs lower than your Strength score, only roll if you want to jump even longer.

Were they to associate DCs with their examples, that could have a useful normative effect. They have done that implicitly with DCs in published adventures. You can find those collated online somewhere.

Interestingly, in a discussion about the playtest, I discovered that many DMs set DCs based on the character attempting the task, not the absolute difficulty of the task. Which was new to me, but apparently quite common (among people who answered the thread). It goes contrary to the "sample DCs" (that I personnally would prefer).

clearstream

(He, Him)
Where applicable, I've left the original text from the 5E PHB and put in specific DCs for the examples given.

Yes, I have deviated from the RAW here.

The official rules have this as "When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump."
and
"When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3 + your Strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. (...) In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump higher than you normally can."

So by RAW, you can long jump only up to your Strength score (and no further). And only the high jump text mentions that you may (possibly) make a check to jump higher. At the very least, the long jump text should also have similar language, ie "In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump longer than you normally can."
Exactly. And of course, the problem we have is what is the DC.

Instead of the RAW, I've actually used text from Pathfinder for climbing. I guess you could always fall back to the RAW and say that you don't have to roll for any long jump DCs lower than your Strength score, only roll if you want to jump even longer.
Yes, only roll if you want to jump farther. My view is that the probabilities should favour jumping at least as far as you can automatically. So this is a statement about how to calibrate the DC.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Interestingly, in a discussion about the playtest, I discovered that many DMs set DCs based on the character attempting the task, not the absolute difficulty of the task. Which was new to me, but apparently quite common (among people who answered the thread).
I think I know which thread. It surprised me, too. The DC is subjective for contests, but otherwise objective, is one way I might put it.

Remove ads