• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E skills and the Perception vs Stealth imbalance

CapnZapp

Legend
The fact is, sneaking (Stealth) and detection (Perception) aren't born equal.

A +6, say, to Perception helps the party much more than a +6 to Stealth helps the monsters.

This means that 5E's idea to drop racial bonuses to stealth and not even grant most monsters proficiency does. not. work.

If five monsters sneak up on five adventurers, the math makes it exceedingly unlikely all five monsters will beat the best passive perception score in the group, and thus pull off an ambush.

This needs to change.

I want the following:
*) a group should not be able to rely on a single good Perception score
*) good Perception should chiefly benefit yourself and possibly a ward of yours, not an entire group
*) the rules need to favor ambushers much more, so that ambushes actually happen with some regularity.
*) the game is much more fun if dark forests and caverns actually ARE dark, foreboding and scary. Simply having a character with max Wisdom and Perception proficiency should not shortcircuit all that. Sure diligent defenders should be able to take precautions such as setting up perimeters (light torches that illuminate intruders etc), but that's an exception and not the rule.
*) monsters that are supposed to be sneaky should actually be sneaky, even level-appropriate heroes should have a hard time noticing these critters.

The basic notion of passive scores is good, since we can't have both Stealth and Perception rolled - it creates too large swings. So we'll keep that, but we'll considerably rein in what Perception can do for you.

Therefore I suggest:
a) set passive perception at only 5 + prof + stat. If you are a designed guard that does absolutely nothing else, you gain the regular 10 + prof + stat, but only for a maximum of 1 hour per long rest. You simply can't maintain such vigilance for a whole guard shift. The idea is to force the players to guess when an ambush happens; if they're right they get to benefit from the generous RAW; but if not, well...
b) success means only that you gain awareness in the last second, preventing yourself from being surprised. You need to beat the Sneak check result by 5 or more to expose the ambush before it can be pulled off.
c) When I say you gain awareness, this includes a designated ward - a character you have declared yourself to protect, assuming you stay within 5 ft at all times. This way, you can still use your Perception to save someone from getting surprised; you can push the ward to the ground to avoid the assassin's poisoned arrow (assuming you win initiative too). But you can't put the entire group on full alert, unless the sneakees roll very low.
d) be generous with racial sneak bonuses. Most animals should be given +4 to Sneak. Renowed sneakers should gain +8. This means an Owl will not have simply +3 Stealth for +2 proficiency and +1 Dexterity; it will have +11.

CapnZapp

Legend
The reverse situation is much less of a pressing concern to me.

Sure this allows a lone scout to sneak with great confidence.

But my players believe strongly in never splitting the party.

ThePolarBear

First Post
If five monsters sneak up on five adventurers, the math makes it exceedingly unlikely all five monsters will beat the best passive perception score in the group, and thus pull off an ambush.

That's not how it works however. Suprise is determined individually. All 5 just have to beat the LOWEST score for someone to be surprised, not the highest.

Edit: Let me clarify: I mean that a successful ambush is not required to have EVERYONE surprised to be considered an ambush. Even just someone sneaking in is a successful ambush in my book.

Last edited:

I like that it's basically impossible to launch a surprise attack. Then nobody even tries bothering with it and then we save hours of discussions on how the PCs approach each battle.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Hm.

When I determine who is surprised, I determine it individually.

So the adventurer who takes the Alert feat really benefits from being able to act while their buddies are getting massacred in the ambush.

The default rule set is working fine for me. Lets adventurers who are perceptive avoid ambushes while not negating ambushes altogether.

-Brad

Imaro

Legend
The fact is, sneaking (Stealth) and detection (Perception) aren't born equal.

A +6, say, to Perception helps the party much more than a +6 to Stealth helps the monsters.

This means that 5E's idea to drop racial bonuses to stealth and not even grant most monsters proficiency does. not. work.

Well surprise doesn't work like this... Anyone who doesn't notice the monsters is surprised.

This needs to change.

Why? IMO it works pretty well for creating situations where the most aware PC's aren't taken off guard but those with a lower Perception can be.

I want the following:
*) a group should not be able to rely on a single good Perception score

They can't...

*) good Perception should chiefly benefit yourself and possibly a ward of yours, not an entire group

It already does

*) the rules need to favor ambushers much more, so that ambushes actually happen with some regularity.

How frequently should an entire party of adventurers get ambushed... let's say per level?

*) the game is much more fun if dark forests and caverns actually ARE dark, foreboding and scary. Simply having a character with max Wisdom and Perception proficiency should not shortcircuit all that. Sure diligent defenders should be able to take precautions such as setting up perimeters (light torches that illuminate intruders etc), but that's an exception and not the rule.

But they don't short circuit anything...

*) monsters that are supposed to be sneaky should actually be sneaky, even level-appropriate heroes should have a hard time noticing these critters.

You mean with abilities like... false appearance... ethereal jaunt...shadow stealth... and so on, right?

EDIT: Are you sure you are using the surprise rules correctly?

I cover it situationally. If the the Monsters are aware of the PCs approach they would get Advantage in Stealth in setting an Ambush. If it's dark and outside of a lit area (remember, Darkvision provides DIM LIGHT unless lit by a light source) then the PCs would get Disadvantage to their Passive Perception (so -5). Then it might be those whose PP meets the ambusher's stealth check are not Surprised while the rest are.

Barring #@!%!$! Weapons of Warning, of course...

fuindordm

Adventurer
I've been able to ambush my PCs.
Here's how I run it:

A group of 4 wolves (stealth +4) tries to sneak up through the woods to the range of a single move.
The highest passive perception in the party is 15.
The wolves roll a group stealth check and get 8, 13, 17, 22.
Half beat the target number of 15, so they do get to that range and can trigger a surprise round.

I haven't tried to deal yet with deciding which individual PCs are or are not surprised in the first round. I could probably do this in a more granular way, using the group stealth check to reach combat range and another set of stealth vs passive perception, or active perception vs a fixed DC, to determine individual surprise in the first round.

But generally speaking, I think it's OK that a single PC with proficiency in Perception can have a big effect on saving the party from ambushes. And there are other ways for monsters to get stealth bonuses, such as darkness, cover, and lying in wait for traveling PCs.

Ben

When setting up an ambush, the monsters can take their time. Which means they can use the Help action.

If the party is travelling at a fast pace, they'll have disadvantage on Perception checks.

Similarly, this assumes all the PCs are clustered and there isn't a scout ahead of the party who might be further away and thus have disadvantage on their Perception check. Or have to spend a turn returning to the party.

Also, as mentioned, even if all the party is not surprised, some PCs might be surprised by some of the enemies. If only one PC is aware of some enemies, only they can target them. (And until that PC can act, none of the other PCs can be informed of those enemies.)

The problem is, of course, that five monsters each rolling for Stealth, means that a couple will roll <10, and thus be detected by the passive Perception of a PC.
In theory, stealthy monsters will have a bonus higher than the average Perception bonus of PCs (potentially adding 2x or 1.5x their proficiency bonus) so they can roll a 8 or even a 6 and still succeed. Goblins have a +6 to Stealth vs a good first level passive Perception of 15, so they can succeed on a 9 and still be hidden.

Also, a DM could easily have the monsters make a group check, using a single roll for all the monsters (like they all go on the same initiative).

Given how much power the DM has to just say "the monsters ambush you, roll for initiative" or "the encounter starts and the monsters are right on top of you" I don't think we *need* hard rules allow the DM to more easily ambush the players.

From the Basic Rules:

NOTICING THREATS​
Use the passive Wisdom (Perception) scores of the characters to determine whether anyone in the group notices a hidden threat. The DM might decide that a threat can be noticed only by characters in a particular rank. For example, as the characters are exploring a maze of tunnels. the DM might decide that only those characters in the back rank have a chance to hear or spot a stealthy creature following the group, while characters in the front and middle ranks cannot.

Emphasis added.

Remove ads