D&D 5E 5e Skills whats your opinion

Ristamar

Adventurer
Like if I've been in 100 dungeons and have fallen into 100 spike traps, then it might stand to reason my Investigation Skill to spot said trap would be slightly higher than the +1 my Ability Score grants.

Or it might mean you're not very perceptive.

B3FyYuI.jpg

Jabborwacky

First Post
My thoughts on the current skill system:
1. Perception and Acrobatics are just as much forms of defense as AC or hit points. Perception is the defacto threat detection skill.
2. Since clearing dungeons invariably means negotiating an obstacle course, Athletics has slightly higher importance than most other skills.
3. Tool proficiencies: Playtest time was focused on the top priority of D&D, which is adventuring activities. As a result, these are mostly for background and affording daily expenses, save a few notable entries.
4. Knowledge skills: They kept the knowledge skills limited to what needs to be kept track of for adventuring, and that is a good thing. It's a bad idea to try to quantify too many areas of knowledge in a skill system, since it denies the implicit knowledge that comes with many skills. If you have tool proficiency with thief tools, you know something about mechanical devices. So does a locksmith. Including a mechanics knowledge skill would just complicate the system. Again, a really good choice on their part.

Xeviat

Hero
We're playing in Roll20 (and started well before the official sheets became a thing). I have global macros for each of the ability checks that look like this:

Charisma-Check

/em rolls a Charisma check
/r 1d20 @{selected|Charisma}
Add @{selected|Proficiency} if Proficient
Dis/Adv Roll [[1d20@{selected|Charisma}]]

The PC in question just has to have their token selected when they activate the macro and then do quick math of adding their proficiency bonus to the final roll. You might have to change the name of the targeted values to match whatever the official sheets use, but it should work for "non-standard" skill checks.

Thanks! I'll see about setting those up. So as global macros, they'd be along the bottom of the screen?

Kalshane

First Post
Thanks! I'll see about setting those up. So as global macros, they'd be along the bottom of the screen?

By "global" I mean the Macro is created by the GM and then set to be viewed by "All Players". Then your players can go into the Macros list under the Setting (Gear) menu and click the box next to them to place them in their macro bar at the bottom of the screen. I don't think (unless they've added it) there is an actual "Global Macro" feature.

I also have "global" macros for basic die rolls and for Initiative (though the players only add the later to their Macro bar.)

FYI, the initiative macro is:

/em rolls [[1d20@{selected|initiative} &{tracker} ]] for initiative.

That will roll initiative for the selected token (provided they have an Initiative attribute listed in their character sheet) and add it to the turn tracker.

And I gave you an older version of my ability check macro. We've got a newer one that uses a "Roll Template" to make it look a little prettier.

&{template:default} {{name=Dexterity Check}}{{Roll=[[1d20@{Dexterity}]]}}{{Adv/Dis=[[1d20@{Dexterity}]]}}{{Add if Prof=[[0@{Proficiency}]]}}

Note for using the templates you can't have any line breaks between the individual elements (it all has to seen as a single line. So no enters/returns in the middle.)

Remove ads