5E 5E Sunless Citadel - CG

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Whether you have been drawn here by local legends of wealth in the citadel, rumors of a rescue mission with a reward, whispers about a magical fruit, or being dragged along by someone interested in these things, you have found your way here, the Village of Oakhurst.

Looking to be an agricultural community of about 1,000 people, the village bakes under the midsummer heat. You notice the following locations: a village hall, a jail, a general store, a shrine, a blacksmith and an inn.

GM: Okay, your characters all arrive in Oakhurst, I don’t assume you know each other, but its unusual that so many visitors popped up at once.
Rogue's Gallery
OOC Thread
 
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Outside the village hall, a swineherds raises a hand in greeting to Kuhl. Kuhl raises his chin in response. They may have met, but he is not sure -- it may simply be one worker greeting another. The staff in the tall man's hand rests easily on his shoulder. He carries little.

"Any work these days?" Kuhl asks to pass the time. A woman beside the swineherd says something about goblins, and Kuhl nods knowingly. "Surely there can't be so many that the things couldn't be stopped?" he asks.

"Maybe I'll stop the goblins."
 
Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

Tired and dusty from the walk Edgar surveyed the town. "Seems quite enough, though I would not want to be working in this heat." Edgar says to Tordak, his companion on this trip, "And I don't imagine goblins would be attacking in broad daylight."

Edgar had developed a hatred for creatures ever since his master had been killed by them, not that he had spared any love for them before, and had heard they had been selling a magical fruit to this village. Edgar reasoned that however the goblins were getting their hands on the fruit it wasn't good.

[B "I would think that the best place to find out more about this magic apple or the goblins that sell it would be the tavern or the town hall." Edgar stated, "I am going to the shrine first, I will be about an hour, then your choice of beer or bureaucrats. " He finished jokingly.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara, Elf Wizard 1

Arriving in Oakhurst, Ara makes for the Inn. Ara looks over the Inn - both outside and inside - checking for the possibilities of painting. How does the sign outside look. How is the Inn decorated internally. After the inspection, Ara will approach the Innkeeper and display some of his work - both pictures in his sketchbook and a few illusions. Ara will see if the Innkeeper trade some painting and perhaps an illusion or two in the evening for Room and Board (using my By Popular Demand feature).

If successful in getting settled at the Inn, Ara will start 'working the crowd'. Sketch a caricature or two. If the Innkeeper agrees, Ara will start a mural on one of the walls and paint in a few of the regulars. As he is sketching, Ara will work in a few questions about what is happening locally. If the locals are talking about goblins, magic apples, lost adventurers or new arrivals; Ara will be interested and ask questions, but will not push the topic.

Ara is keeping an eye out for the stereotypical 'adventurer' type - e.g., heavily armored and armed.Ara is making it fairly obvious that he is a magic user - e.g., some use of prestidigitation and or mage hand. He knows that the magic may scare some people, so he is playing on the harmless/eccentric artist part of his persona. If and when any adventurer's show up at the Inn, Ara will engage them in a conversation and if appropriate, offer his services. If pressed by the adventurer's, Ara will mention his familiar - Who the Owl - and his ability to cast powerful spells - like Illusion, and Sleep.

OOC: Ara has an average charisma and no skills in Persuasion or Deception. He is relying on a general friendliness from By Popular Demand "...When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed they typically take a liking to you." He is collecting gossip, not asking for anything sensitive.
 
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Kuhl notices other newcomers to town. One whose armour shines as if freshly polished clearly shows him he is not a local. And the elf artist, whose glance casts wide as if looking for someone, but appears never to settle on Kuhl, standing by himself with his stick in his hand.
 

Obeliske

Villager
Tordak seems cheerful to have arrived finally, mace over one shoulder he responds to Edgar "This heat is nothing compared to the forges back home, ach how I miss em, but I be agreeing about the goblins, whatever the sneaky little gits be up to we aught to find out and put an end to their mischief." "I'll go with ye teh the shrine though I ain't had time for me prayers yet today then if'n yea don't mind I'd like to get teh the tavern for somethin teh eat."
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Kuhl:
One of the herdsman says, "Them goblins are all in the Sunless Citadel, down the old ravine, 7 miles down the old road." Another adds "I don't know for goblins, but herders don't graze their stock too far afield these days. They're frightened by stories of new monsters that maraud by night. From time to time, cattle and people who have gone out alone at night have been found dead the next day, bearing dozens of needle-like wounds. No one has seen the creatures that cause this mayhem, nor do they leave a discernible trail."

Edgar, Tordak:
You enter a small building setup as a shrine to Pelor. A gnomish woman comes out from behind the altar and introduces herself. "I'm Dem Nackle, the local priest. Is there anything I can do for you weary travelers?"

Ara:
You hear a number of things, but the main thinbg you hear is whisperings about newcomers to the town, and that some locals made and exspedition to the Sunless Citadel a month ago and haven't been heard from since.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Kuhl nods at the herdsman, and looks in the direction of the old road where he indicates.

He's sorry to hear about the cattle herds; but seven miles should be walkable in a day. "Sunless Citadel?" he asks, keeping the conversation going. "Who is its master? or is an old name?" The tall man looks to a nearby well in front of the town hall. "May I take some water? Would you like some?"
 

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"I have come to pray, and bring Torm's vengeance on those that would blight the innocent. I have heard there are goblins that hold a monopoly on a magic apple that can cure the sick, and sell but one a year. I would see that such a gift does not lie in the hands of evil creatures and be free for all."

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

Obeliske

Villager
Tordak, "Aye, d'ye have a spot I can pray teh Ilmater? I ain't had time fer me mornin ministrations and I'm aimin teh fix that, or is this shrine only in dedication to Pelor?"

If offered a spot Tordak will proceed to pray and mumble to himself while doing so and nothing short of a direct threat to himself or his surroundings will change that for an hour, upon the completion of which he will go in search of Edgar (provided Edgar isn't still here himself).
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara sits in the Inn busily sketching, with an ear cocked for interesting news. Ara adds a flattering Images of the hostesses to the mural he is painting on the wall. He thinks to himself "What is it about taverns. All of the news and most of the people eventually flow through them. I would think them a human affection, but I have seen the same behavior in Elves, Dwarves and Halflings."

In terms of out-of-towners, Ara has taken over a table by dint of leaving his scholar's pack - with Magic Useer signal on the table. As well, he tends to periodically cast and drop an illusory chair. If an someone unusual comes in, Ara will invite him/her to join him for a drink. Side note, if the Inn gets busy, Ara will give up his table, he knows that he is there to generate business, not cost the Innkeeper business.

Ara thinks "I will eventually need to catch up with the Hucrele family. However, it will be better if I can find a human to go with me and even better if it is one who is more persuasive than me." In the meantime, Ara sounds the Innkeeper out for any useful information about the missing adventure party in general and Hucrele specifically. Also, Ara lets slip with the Innkeeper that Ara is interested in exploring the Sunless Citadel.
 

ccs

39th lv DM
Roy finally arrives in town.
As several roads lead out of town, he figures he'll need further directions to the Hucrele estate.

"Hmm, Let's see. Town hall? Chapel? Blacksmith? Random person? Ah! There it is. The tavern. One stop shopping, info & a beer."

Ara will notice a tall (6'), well muscled, shaved headed, & tanned human (male) enter the tavern. He gives the place a quick once over & proceeds to the bar.

"Barkeep! I need two beers & some info."
Roy puts a couple of silver on the bar, guzzles one beer, & proceeds to drink the other one at a more leisurely pace as he talks to the barkeep.
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara walks to the bar and introduces himself to Roy "I am Ara wandering painter and illusionist, recently come ot Oakhurst. I have been listening for local news and would gladly share what I have learned. Would you care to join me at my table?" Ara points to the table that has his backpack - with the Magic Sigil prominently displayed.

If Roy joins him, Ara will bring Roy up to speed un what little he has learned and propose that they gather a few more people to mount an expedition. Ara cautions "One adventuring party with a fighter and a wizard has already gone missing. We should find out what they took and more importantly, what they were missing so that we are better prepared."

Ara shares "Perhaps I can gain a little insight by going to where they have planted the seeds from the magical apple to investigate and see if I can detect any traces of magic. If we can find a few fellow adventurer's to join us, we could split up. Some to visit the Hurlcrete house, some to check on the apple and others perhaps to gain information from the Town Hall."
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Ara and Roy: Ara is talking to Garon, the barkeep, about the Hucrele family. Roy after getting his drink, overhears the barkeep and the elf's conversation. "Ah, the Hucrele family... good folk, such a shame. Kerowyn Hucrele runs the general store in town. Hucrele is a noble family but their fortune is not what it used to be."

Edgar and Tordak: The gnome responds,"All who do not foster evil and chaos are free to be worshipped here. As for the goblins and the apple, they are expected soon, as they show up just after Midsummer. There are stories of goblins at midwinter with a poison apple, but most people here deny that. The goblins are believed to be based in the Sunless Citadel, in the ravine off the Old Road."

Kuhl: The swineherd responds, "The well is free for all, but I'm not thirsty, thank you. Sunless Citadel? It's just a local name for the ruins. No one knows for sure what the Sunless Citadel once was, but legends hint that it served as the retreat of an ancient dragon cult."
 

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"I would be more inclined to believe stories of goblins with poisoned apples." Edgar says as thanks. He spends an hour in silent prayer. Before leaving he thanks the priest and offers a gold coin for the collection.

Once Tordak is done he will head to the inn with him.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

ccs

39th lv DM
Ara walks to the bar and introduces himself to Roy "I am Ara wandering painter and illusionist, recently come ot Oakhurst. I have been listening for local news and would gladly share what I have learned. Would you care to join me at my table?" Ara points to the table that has his backpack - with the Magic Sigil prominently displayed.
"Roy of Arcandale. Pleased to meet you."
(Roy studies Ara for a moment, decides that the elf addressing him is probably male {it's not on your sheet, only mentioned in your text})
"Sure, it's been a hike. Let's sit." "Barkeep, a flagon please." " So an elf wizard eh?"

If Roy joins him, Ara will bring Roy up to speed un what little he has learned and propose that they gather a few more people to mount an expedition. Ara cautions "One adventuring party with a fighter and a wizard has already gone missing. We should find out what they took and more importantly, what they were missing so that we are better prepared."
"Yeah, words out that Kerowyn Hucrele's offerin good $ for somebody to go in& haul her grandkids outa there. It's why I'm here. So I figure my next stop is over to the general store. See what she knows, hear her offer. See who else she's got lined up for this crew. I guess you can come if you want, wizard supports always good."

Ara shares "Perhaps I can gain a little insight by going to where they have planted the seeds from the magical apple to investigate and see if I can detect any traces of magic. If we can find a few fellow adventurer's to join us, we could split up. Some to visit the Hurlcrete house, some to check on the apple and others perhaps to gain information from the Town Hall."
"I'll bet you 1gp you will. Magic gets into stuff. If they've been planting magic apple trees all these years, it's in the ground."
(and thinking to himself: "& your an elf & a wizard. You'll mumble & chant & tell me you sense magic anyways)
 

Obeliske

Villager
Tordak hauls himself off his knees with a grunt and waddles over to Edgar "So we ain't learned anything so far I guess, maybe we'll have better luck at the tavern?" and without further ado Tordak adjusts the pack on his back and sets out with Edgar towards said Tavern.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
As Kuhl draws water from the well, filling his skin, he thanks the swineherd. "Ancient Dragon Cult?" he asks shaking his head: it's not a question, more an incredulous outburst. "Wouldn't get many recruits here, I'd have thought. Probably just goblin tales to keep people away."

Across the road, more adventurers head into the bar. Their eyes again look past him. After he inserts the stopper in his wineskin, Kuhl thanks the swineherd again, and moves along, across the street. But the tavern will be sticky, and smelly, and dark, and Kuhl has no real interest in entering. He takes out his long wooden flute, leans against the building to get out of the sun, and begins to play a simple, melodic line.
 

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"For all the power they offer the devout, the gods seldom give direct answers. But the peace from prayers gives one a clear mind to make better choices." Edgar replies to Tordak, "Let's see what we find in the tavern."

As the pair approach the tavern he notices the goatherd playing the flute. A local? perhaps a useful guide. Edgar nods a greeting at the goatherd as he enters the tavern.

Inside the tavern, Edgar buy's himself and Tordak an ale. He sits in silence for a few minutes listening to the various conversations. His ears perk up at he mention of the magic apple by a wizard talking to some other people in the tavern. Bringing the group to Tordak's attention he says, "Possible allies? Though they seem to be interested in some missing youths."

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara, High Elf Wizzard

Alvyn sees Edgar and Tordak enter the Inn. Alvyn approaches the two of them. "Well met far travelers. I invite you to join us at our table. An acquaintance and I" he points to Roy "were just discussing local events. Perhaps you would like to join us." Alvyn speach and mannerisms are little too formal for the occasion. Possibly reflecting someone who has had etiquette training, but not a lot of experience.

Alvyn thinks 'Sensei told me "a tool for every task and a task for every tool and one must be fit for the other." at the time, I thought that I understood. Now, it becomes clearer how much I have to learn.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]Ara, Level 1 - Male High Elf Wizard -
HP: 7/7, AC: 13
Initiative: +3, Speed: 30ft, Senses: Passive Perception 12, Darkvsion <60' Dark is dim, Dim is light
Saving Throws Str -1, Con +1, Dex + 3, *Int +5, *Wis +2, Chr 0
Abilities:
By Popular Demand
Fey Ancestry - adv vs. charmed, immune sleep

Familiar Who, Owl
Perception +3, Stealth +3, Passive Per 13, Darkvision <120' Dark is dim, Dim is light
AC 11, HP 1
Flyby: provokes no opportunity attack when it flies out of enemy reach
Keen Hearing and Sight: Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or sight

Offense:
Longbow: +5 1d8+3
Short Sword: +5 1d6+3

Spells
C - Green Flaming Blade, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion,Prestidigitation
1st (2/2) - Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield,Sleep
[/SBLOCK]
 

Advertisement

Top